Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
D-Backs vying for 2011 All-Star game
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: D-Backs vying for 2011 All-Star game Reply with quote

Finally!

Scott Bordow this morning wrote:
The Arizona Diamondbacks have wanted to host Major League Baseball’s All-Star game for years. It looks like they’ll finally get their chance in 2011.

Although they are being careful not to sound too optimistic, Diamondbacks officials are confident the 2011 game will be played at Chase Field.

“We’re pushing hard, trying to get it here, and we think we can,” team president Derrick Hall said.

The 2011 game is the earliest open date available for a National League club. This year’s All-Star game will be played in San Francisco, the 2008 game reportedly will be held in Yankee Stadium as a tribute to the building before it’s torn down, the 2009 game has been awarded to St. Louis, and the 2010 game will be played at an American League site.

Major League Baseball has used the All-Star game to reward teams with new stadiums. Eight of the nine games played from 2000 to 2009 will have been held in facilities built since 1999. Chase Field, formerly known as Bank One Ballpark, opened in 1998.

“I think we’ve just been innocently bypassed,” Hall said.

Major League Baseball officials could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

The Diamondbacks hoped to land the 2009 game but switched their sights to 2011 once they learned St. Louis would get that year’s contest. Team officials lobbied commissioner Bud Selig last month and planned to speak with him Wednesday night at the annual owners’ meetings being held in Phoenix.

Arizona and Florida are the only two NL franchises yet to host the game.

“We’ve expressed our desire and he (Selig) obviously understands we want it here,” Hall said. “It’s an extremely political issue because every team wants an All-Star game, but here we are coming up on 10 years (in Chase Field) and we haven’t had one.”

Hall believes one factor working in Arizona’s favor is that expansion of the Phoenix Convention Center and light rail construction is scheduled to be completed by 2011.

The Cincinnati Reds are expected to lobby for the game as well.

“We’d certainly like to put on a spectacular show,” managing general partner Ken Kendrick said, “and we think we can.”
JoshByrnesWhenIPee
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix in July = refreshing
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshByrnesWhenIPee wrote:
Phoenix in July = refreshing

As opposed to, say, Florida, Atlanta, Houston, Arlington (TX), or even Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, St. Louis (2009) or Cincinnati?

I'll take July in Phoenix over 95+ degrees and 95+% humidity any time.

Especially since the ballpark formerly known as BOB is air-conditioned! Very Happy
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:

I'll take July in Phoenix over 95+ degrees and 95+% humidity any time.

Especially since the ballpark formerly known as BOB is air-conditioned! Very Happy

Hear... hear!!! (or is it here.... here)

A couple years ago, the WORST day I had ALL summer was a sweltering less than 90 degree heat in St. Louis. I took 3 showers that day between outings to try cooling down.

I was SOOOOOO glad to get back to the welcome 110 degree dry sauna coolness of Phoenix at the end of the weekend!

Hank, keep picking against my teams, please!!
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Native Arizonan, and I say having the ASG here is ridiculous. Any of those other cities experience typical summer weather. But I really think if we make a bunch of northerners show up here in mid-July, somebody might die. However, we probably should have the NBA ASG about every other year.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really think if we make a bunch of northerners show up here in mid-July

So you are saying maybe there will be a few less of them to come back in winter and clog up our roads and air? Twisted Evil

(Like I should talk...being a 7 year import myself)
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly!!

I know everybody talks shit about the snowbirds, but they help our economy so much. The only thing about them that sucks is when they establish residency for the low taxes, then try to block everything that the permanent residents want to do to improve the community. Although they do contribute property taxes...
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoe, you from Spokane, when the kids are gone, that's where I'll be for the Summer. coeur d'alene, I like it better than San Diego, San Juan Islands, and Bend etc...
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What made you think I'm from Spokane?

I have relatives in Western Washington in the Mt. Ranier area, but thats not where I'm from. I go up there to visit sometimes in the summer.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photographic memory, didn't you talk about sick aunt from there or something?
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louisiana is a national disaster area in April-September...Houston is just as bad. Arizona is hot, but it's not unbearable.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
Arizona is hot, but it's not unbearable.

That's why we have over 20 homeless folks dying during July, right? Or why they find hundreds of dead illegal entrants in the desert, right?

The fact is Arizona in summertime without AC is like Maine without heat in the winter. Phoenix in July IS unbearable, and would be the only thing the media and visitors would talk about afterwards. "The game was allright. But GOD was it hot. Never go to Phoenix in July."
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
baldmaga wrote:

That's why we have over 20 homeless folks dying during July, right? Or why they find hundreds of dead illegal entrants in the desert, right?

The fact is Arizona in summertime without AC is like Maine without heat in the winter. Phoenix in July IS unbearable, and would be the only thing the media and visitors would talk about afterwards. "The game was allright. But GOD was it hot. Never go to Phoenix in July."

Yeah, but Aug is great. Sun's gone by 7p, poolwater is 90, and its barbecue time. Throw in a monsoon, on occasion to spice things up....
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
baldmaga wrote:

The fact is Arizona in summertime without AC is like Maine without heat in the winter. Phoenix in July IS unbearable.

Over the last 25 years I've noticed that those born and raised in AZ do most of the complaining about the summers and those that moved here by choice (having lived in much worse areas of the country) realize how great we really do have it here.
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

Over the last 25 years I've noticed that those born and raised in AZ do most of the complaining about the summers and those that moved here by choice (having lived in much worse areas of the country) realize how great we really do have it here.

Spoken like someone who KNOWS the hell of summer days in sweltering southern Illinois, where the only good seasons are spring and fall. Cool

Hank, keep picking against my teams, please!!
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
baldmaga wrote:

I'm sure that the people coming in to watch/play the game aren't homeless. Now I can't say the same about being legal immigrants Rolling Eyes
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't referring to the individual's economic means, I was making the point that the weather possesses the potential to kill during the summer if you don't have shelter. Yeah the park is indoors, but the guests will only be at the game for a small % of the time here.

May and August are barely acceptable. It's hot, but you can manage. Actually August sux ass too, so May and September are manageable.

I'm native to Tucson and the first thing that struck me was how noticeably hotter it is here. Not so much during the day, but at night. Do natives bitch about the heat the way natives to the north bitch about the cold? Also, it's not cool to move somewhere and bitch about the weather. It was a choice. However, you're entitled to bitch all you want if you're native. Like I couldn't move to Seattle and bitch about the rain.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
However, you're entitled to bitch all you want if you're native. Like I couldn't move to Seattle and bitch about the rain.

I'll have to remember that so I can use that card also.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You grow up in the desert, you get to bitch about the heat. There's got to be some bonus for growing up here.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
You grow up in the desert, you get to bitch about the heat. There's got to be some bonus for growing up here.

I grew up in Illinois enduring horrendously miserable winters and uncomfortably muggy summers that make Phoenix look like a walk in the park. I recall as a kid listening to WLS radio out of Chicago and every winter their dj's would harp on and on about the awful weather while I thought to myself, "Why do you choose to live here in Illinois if you hate it so much?" I left as soon as I got out of high school, yet I still wonder at times why people complain about where they live when they have the freedom to move elsewhere.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Taiwan and Hong Kong for 20 years.

In the summer there, it was usually over 90 degrees with humidity over 80%. I still played golf in that weather, and although it was of course hot, if you managed your fluids, it was certainly playable.

I can't be outside for very long when it's over 110. The whole "it's a dry heat" is true up until about 102. But regardless of what the charts say, when it's 112, 114, etc, it's much more uncomfortable (and dangerous) to try to play golf or do any kind of outdoor activity then it was when it was 93 in Taiwan with 89% Humidity.

It's not only the heat. It's the strength of the sun.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, now get off my lawn you wifernapers!
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:

even google couldn't help me with that one Laughing
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
matt wrote:

even google couldn't help me with that one Laughing

Maybe he meant whippersnappers?

As for people dying here in the heat of the summer -- yes, it happens. Just as people in Chicago and NYC (and elsewhere) die in the heat of summer when they don't have a/c.

I agree that July ain't the best month to showcase the weather here. But the same is true for NYC, Philadelphia, Washington, DC, St. Louis... Some people who will come to the ASG will be totally turned off to AZ because of the heat. So, they won't be back to the next ASG held here... Very Happy
Driaz
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:

I'm native to Tucson and the first thing that struck me was how noticeably hotter it is here. Not so much during the day, but at night. Do natives bitch about the heat the way natives to the north bitch about the cold? Also, it's not cool to move somewhere and bitch about the weather. It was a choice. However, you're entitled to bitch all you want if you're native. Like I couldn't move to Seattle and bitch about the rain.

With all due respect, I don't follow your logic. I guess you could claim a native born here can "rightfully" bitch about the heat until they are 18. Anybody living here over the age of 18, is living here by choice, right? I mean, they were born here and choose to remain living here, or they were born elsewhere and chose to move here. What about me, I didn't choose to move here, my parents did, so does that give me a "right" to bitch about the heat? I subsequently left here when I joined the Navy, and did indeed choose to move back here after I fulfilled my comittment. I love it here, even the summers. When I was in the Navy, I spent a summer in Orlando going to school. I'll tell you what, that sucked big time, IMHO. It would only be in the high 70's, low 80's in the morning, but I would be sweating like a pig at 8:00 in the friggin' morning, just on a 10 minute walk from the barracks to the classroom because of the humidity.

Pertaining to you thinking we shouldn't have an all-star game, because it will negatively affect our winter tourism, I totally disagree. Our winter tourism/snow bird population isn't based on their lack of knowledge of how hot it is here during the summer, but rather their knowledge of how cold it is where they come from in the winter. Having an all-star game here in July isn't going to affect that aspect of our economy one iota. I think shoewiz's attempt at making a sardonic joke went over your head.

I think it is rather funny of you to think a bunch of northerners are going to die because they come to Phoenix in July. Yes, the sun can be very deadly here, as all of us that have lived here know. We are talking about a few thousand people coming in for 3 days, not all of which of that few thousand people would be northerners. I'm assuming all of these northerners that you are so concerned about would fly into Phoenix, rather than walk through the desert without water to get here. I'm assuming they will rent a car, with AC, and drive to their hotel, with AC. When they are not at the ballpark, with AC, enjoying the all-star festivities they planned this entire trip over, I'm assuming they may drive around in their AC equiped rental car, maybe stop at a mall or two, which happen to have AC, and do some shopping. After they enjoy their activities at the ballpark, with AC, they may decide to go have some drinks at a nightclub, with AC. I know that is alot of assumptions on my part, but I don't assume they will come to the all-star game and sleep on the street, or try to walk a 100 miles through the desert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: