Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Santo Gilbert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Santo Gilbert Reply with quote

Once again educating the masses with the patience of a saint.

Steve Gilbert today wrote:
I am a Cardinals fan, and I was wondering if you think that Johnson will make much of a difference for your team? Obviously, he has the potential to be great, and he should do a lot better in the National League than the American League, but do you see him as a difference maker or more of a spectacle to get attendance up?
-- Brad S., St. Louis

I honestly don't know what kind of a difference Johnson will make this year, but I just hate to bet against the guy. I remember he met with us on the first day of Spring Training in 2002 and said he wasn't going to say that he couldn't have a better year in '02 than he did in '01. Now considering he had won 21 games and the Cy Young Award for the third straight year, not to mention a world championship, that was quite a statement.

But look at what he went out and did in '02 -- he won 24 games, pitched more innings and lowered his ERA from 2.49 to 2.32. Yes, I know he's five years older now and I'm not saying that I expect him to win 20 games, but by the same token, I'm not going to bet against him having an outstanding season, given his track record. I think he will use the doubt that some people have to just add more fuel to his already tremendous fire.

I read on MLB.com that the D-backs agreed to a deal with Randy Johnson that will pay him $4 million in 2007 and $10 million in 2008. I thought that he was still under contract for $16 million in 2007. Am I missing something?
-- Craig S., Calgary, Alberta

Johnson basically signed a new two-year deal with Arizona that takes the place of the contract he had with the Yankees.

You're crazy to say that this was not a PR trade. I usually agree with most of your opinions, but this Johnson deal was solely to put fans in the seats, especially with him closing in on 300 wins. You said Luis Gonzalez was more a fan favorite, but when Johnson pitched, every five days the crowds were huge for him.
-- Mike L., Mesa, Ariz.

Mike, when the D-backs first signed Johnson back in 1999, I expected them to get a big boost in attendance every time he took the mound. After all, that's what happened in Houston back in 1998. Instead, the bump was far more modest. My colleague and good friend Nick Piecoro of The Arizona Republic researched Johnson's impact and found that from 1999-2004, the D-backs' average attendance in Johnson's starts went up by 2,024. That's not an insignificant number, but it's also not nearly enough to justify bringing him back.

True, there probably will be a bit of a boost when Johnson gets closer to 300 games, but not enough to offset the $24 million they will pay him. Again, if they were interested in PR, they would have held onto Gonzalez rather than bring Johnson back. It would have been far cheaper. Honestly, they feel Johnson can help them this year and in 2008. I can totally understand if fans disagree with that assessment, because that's something we'll only know in time. I just don't think it's fair to label it a PR move.

If the upper crust of the D-backs organization couldn't afford to keep Gonzo, why would they pay so much for a medically unsound person such as Johnson? I just don't get it at all.
-- Lou W., Mesa, Ariz.

Lou, the D-backs never said they didn't have the money to keep Gonzalez; rather, they thought the money they would have used on him could be spent more wisely on other areas of the team, particularly pitching. They saw Gonzalez as expendable because of the talented young position players, particularly outfielders, that they had coming up. Carlos Quentin and Chris Young project to be impact players in the big leagues. The D-backs' pitching prospects were/are a little thinner. They still have some quality arms, but none of the guys they traded in the Johnson deal are seen by scouts as top of the rotation pitchers.

I've already heard that Brandon Webb will still be the Opening Day starter, but who do you see as our No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 starters between Johnson, Livan Hernandez, and Doug Davis? Also, after the acquisition of Johnson, do you think any other deals may happen before the season begins? Is the front office still looking for relief pitching and backup closers should Jose Valverde falter again?
-- Chad B., Peoria, Ariz.

Chad, I think logically you would say Johnson would be No. 2, followed by Hernandez and Davis, because then you have it right, left, right, left through the first four spots. A couple of quick points, though, that might change that: First, we don't know for sure whether Johnson will be ready to start the season, so he might not pitch the second game of the year. Second, if Johnson is ready, it wouldn't surprise me if they pitched him in the third game of the year, which would set him up to pitch the home opener.

What happened to Gonzalez? Is he on a different team?
-- Jerry T., Jacksonville, Ark.

You mean the Gonzalez saga didn't grip the attention of the entire state of Arkansas? Gonzalez was not invited back for 2007 and signed a free-agent contract with the Dodgers.

Steve Gilbert is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job there by Gilbert -- calm, rational, informative.

Thanks, TAP.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Santo Gilbert Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Steve Gilbert today wrote:
My colleague and good friend Nick Piecoro of The Arizona Republic researched Johnson's impact and found that from 1999-2004, the D-backs' average attendance in Johnson's starts went up by 2,024. That's not an insignificant number, but it's also not nearly enough to justify bringing him back.

By research does he mean reading this board?
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What awful questions...and the sad part, those are probably the most intelligently written questions he gets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: