Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sikorski?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Sikorski? Reply with quote

Indians DFAed Brian Sikorski. Should the Dbacks try to claim him and put him on the 40 man roster?

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/players/index.php?lastName=sikorski
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intriguing guy. Why was he out of baseball in 2003-2004 ? TJ surgery or something?
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sikorski pitched five seasons in Japan prior to be signed by the Padres in 2006. I got to watch him a bit early last year in Portland. He's got a great arm and a tremendous fastball. His control in the minors last year was pretty impressive too (the last Beaver stats I have for him showed him with 7 walks and 44 strike outs in 27 2/3 IP). I'd certainly risk a 40 man roster spot on an arm like that, but I bet someone else gets to him before AZ.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
Sikorski pitched five seasons in Japan prior to be signed by the Padres in 2006. I got to watch him a bit early last year in Portland. He's got a great arm and a tremendous fastball. His control in the minors last year was pretty impressive too (the last Beaver stats I have for him showed him with 7 walks and 44 strike outs in 27 2/3 IP). I'd certainly risk a 40 man roster spot on an arm like that, but I bet someone else gets to him before AZ.

Oh OK, baseball cube didn't show 03-04 for some reason, but had 02 and 05.
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To fill in the gaps...

2003 Chiba Lotte 4-6 3.16, 1 save, 23 BB 71 K in 82.2 IP
2004 Yomiyuri 5-3 2.67, 5 saves, 22 BB 83 K in 77.2 IP
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:

your last point is the most germane here, david. i fully expect that at least some teams with worse 2006 records would put waiver claims on him. i'm just hoping that they get scared by his 2006 ERA numbers.

his control in the majors was pretty impressive too. he just got hit pretty hard in the limited number of innings he pitched; a lot of that is bad luck, imho. the dbacks freed up some roster spots with the RJ trade and i'd rather gamble on someone like sikorski than sign a slug in spring training.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sample size for the major league innings is of course very very small, but that 29% groundball rate means he gives up way to many fly balls, and 23% of them left the yard....again, and extremely high percentage.

The homerun rates in the minors, and from what I can see of the Japan stats look better than his majors ratios....so it could have been a fluke.

If they find room on the 40 man, and can find a way to work with him in Tucson to reduce his gopher balls, obviously he could turn into a good cheap pickup. But despite fantastic k/BB ratios, he does not profile like a guy that would be successful here.
diamondbacker
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember, Japan has smaller ballparks, so it will inflate HR's.
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Japan have any steroid issues? Very Happy
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbacker wrote:
remember, Japan has smaller ballparks, so it will inflate HR's.

I was referring to his major league HR rates and fly ball rates...I don't even know them in Japan
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so much for that idea

Indians sent RHP Brian Sikorski outright to Triple-A Buffalo.
Sikorski will be invited to spring training, but he'd need multiple injuries to strike the Cleveland pen in order to have a chance of winning a job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: