Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
In retrospect, we should've kept Glaus and traded Tracy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatLeprechaun
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: In retrospect, we should've kept Glaus and traded Tracy Reply with quote

In retrospect, we should've kept Glaus and traded Tracy after the '05 season.

At that time, Tracy's stock was simply through the roof, and probably as high as it will ever be.

Glaus is simply a better hitter and a (marginally) better defender. Our lineup is starved for his power.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/willima04.shtml

Look at his 1992 year. Chad will be back. He's going to have a bigger year, than you think. The problem on the offense is now in LA.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: In retrospect, we should've kept Glaus and traded Tracy Reply with quote

FatLeprechaun wrote:
In retrospect, we should've kept Glaus and traded Tracy after the '05 season.

At that time, Tracy's stock was simply through the roof, and probably as high as it will ever be.

Glaus is simply a better hitter and a (marginally) better defender. Our lineup is starved for his power.

1) $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
2) Chad, we would expect, is on the left side of the production bell curve while Glaus has already peaked and has from all signs passed over to the right side.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2006 Win Shares, 3Bmen

Glaus, 16
Tracy, 14

Hudson, 19
Batista, 9

2006 Runs Created, 3bmen

Glaus, 86 (5.7 RC/G)
Tracy, 81 (5.1 RC/G)

Hudson, 84 (5.5 RC/G)

Not only was Hudson more valuable than Glaus last year (while making about 1/5th of Glaus's salary), Glaus was barely more valuable than Tracy at 3b, and Tracy had a pretty bad season. Not to mention that Glaus is several years older, more expensive and more injury prone.

So, my question to you is, do you know what you are talking about?
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
Look at his 1992 year. Chad will be back.

You have Chad's Little League stats?

Oh...Matt Williams...that would be different...never mind. Embarassed

OffTopic/ Check out Chad's latest sponsor. If you're ever looking for beads, these guys are the best!
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:

Look at his 1992 year. Chad will be back. He's going to have a bigger year, than you think. The problem on the offense is now in LA.

I have a sense also that Chad will be better next year....and my projections reflect that. I don't have him "off the charts" better, but much better anyway.

.291/.354/.488 .842 OPS 24 HR 93 runs 91 RBI

I like the Matt Williams comparison, except I sure wish Chad could play 3rd like Matt. When he was young, Matt was almost good enough to play SS in the majors. Thats how good a 3rd baseman he was.

Chris Dial has him among the top 3 or 4 Thirdbaseman of the last 25 years, which I agree with wholeheartedly. Softest hands from a 3rd baseman I've ever seen.
AZ SnakePit
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
OffTopic/ Check out Chad's latest sponsor. If you're ever looking for beads, these guys are the best!

LOL. Yeah, I've heard great things about them too. Wink I think w...er, they've sponsored him since 2004 though, so are in it for the long haul, and definitely hoping he doesn't get traded!
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ SnakePit wrote:
TAP wrote:

LOL. Yeah, I've heard great things about them too. Wink I think w...er, they've sponsored him since 2004 though, so are in it for the long haul, and definitely hoping he doesn't get traded!

What, they don't buy beads in Pittsburgh? Twisted Evil
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take O-Dawg at 2b over Glaus at 3b anyday. Plus we had Miggy for a year. This trade was a no brainer for our side.

Oh, and Santos Rolling Eyes
Zephon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Tracy doesn't rebound, and Upton doesn't pan out, I think we might regret not drafting Alex Gordon.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephon wrote:
If Tracy doesn't rebound, and Upton doesn't pan out, I think we might regret not drafting Alex Gordon.

Real easy in hindsight... drafting Upton was the consensus no 1...
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephon wrote:

What, no love for Ryan Zimmerman?!

Upton will pan out, no worries.
kris
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading Glaus was a good decision.
It saved $$$$. He was terrible with runners in scoring position.
He is a high strike out guy.

By trading tracy, if we got ervin santana, then its a different story.
May be i am dreaming ....
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Plus we get a draft pick for Miggy...
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, there were articles before the draft that gordon was closer to mlb ready, but i think everybody thought (and still thinks) that upton's ceiling is way higher. gordon's better looking today and for the short term future, but i don't think their ceilings are comparable. if the draft were held again today, i'd still pick upton.
xjwheelr
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Dangerfield wrote:

I have a sense also that Chad will be better next year....and my projections reflect that. I don't have him "off the charts" better, but much better anyway.

.291/.354/.488 .842 OPS 24 HR 93 runs 91 RBI

I like the Matt Williams comparison, except I sure wish Chad could play 3rd like Matt. When he was young, Matt was almost good enough to play SS in the majors. Thats how good a 3rd baseman he was.

Chris Dial has him among the top 3 or 4 Thirdbaseman of the last 25 years, which I agree with wholeheartedly. Softest hands from a 3rd baseman I've ever seen.

Actually he did play SS for the Giants. In fact, in his first season he played more SS than 3B. He continued to get a fair amount of starts the next two seasons as well.

In 2001 he played a couple games at SS for the Diamondbacks when, I belive, Womack was hurt.

/Edit for grammar/
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we made the right decision at the time with Upton but with the crazy demand for pitching and extreme contracts, going forward in a similar situation the pitching prospect might make more sense.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams played ss for the Giants because Uribe was injured. It was a temporary fix and it rushed Williams to the majors. I think it hurt his career as he did not hit when he went up and struggled even in the next couple years. He was told, "just play decent D to get us by." To his credit he did that.

The Giants has a champoiship caliber team that year (got to NL championship IIRC) and Williams helped them hang in there until Uribe returned.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCray wrote:
IIRC, there were articles before the draft that gordon was closer to mlb ready, but i think everybody thought (and still thinks) that upton's ceiling is way higher. gordon's better looking today and for the short term future, but i don't think their ceilings are comparable. if the draft were held again today, i'd still pick upton.

when az drafted upton, the dbacks did not have a pure no brainer centerfielder in the system, and there were questions whether drew would stick at short or would have to be moved to 2b. plus, drew was signed only a week before upton was drafted. thus, with no cf and potentially no ss of star caliber in the system, it made sense to go for upton. he was considered the best player in the draft.

if i had to draft today, however, and i had chris young in cf, and drew at ss, and quentin in rf, and felt that either quentin or cgon would be my left fielder, i would strongly consider taking gordon instead. he's an excellent defender at 3b, teixeira like potential with the bat, and he's a left handed hitter. given az's CURRENT needs, gordon would make more sense... especially since he'll be ready more quickly than upton.

at draft day in 2005, however, upton was the right choice. when the time comes to sort our outfield situation in the future, we'll figure out who plays where and does what...
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lev, i was under the impression it was wisest to draft for the best available talent, regardless of position. and i was also pretty sure i read in all those pre-draft articles that upton's best case scenario is way way better than gordon's. i think i'd still go for upton.

'sides, without upton we'd never have that catchy slogan, "did the drew, justin time," would we? Very Happy
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not necessarily disagreeing with you; i'm just saying that NOW, the dbacks might be justified to draft gordon instead of upton, much more than they would be in 2005
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldyou trade Upton for Gordon? Would you?
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
Williams played ss for the Giants because Uribe was injured. It was a temporary fix and it rushed Williams to the majors. I think it hurt his career as he did not hit when he went up and struggled even in the next couple years. He was told, "just play decent D to get us by." To his credit he did that.

The Giants has a champoiship caliber team that year (got to NL championship IIRC) and Williams helped them hang in there until Uribe returned.

I'm aware that Williams played short earlyin his career. He was not a major league shortstop, and of course he could not stay there. Hence my statement he was almost good enough to play shortstop.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoe, I agree with you. I didn't mean to indicate the contrary by my post. My post was just a follow up to xj's post.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
Couldyou trade Upton for Gordon? Would you?

I'm not sure either team would want to do it, but I'd seriously consider it. Given AZ's long term needs, we might benefit more from the left handed Mike Schmidt than the right handed Griffey Jr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: