Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Snyder's Offseason Preparation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Snyder's Offseason Preparation Reply with quote

Steve Gilbert at the team website:

Snyder developing his hitting skills during the offseason

Snyder is considered the better defensive asset; Montero, the better on the offense. (Hammock is also mentioned as possible utilityman and emergency catcher.)

One potentially worrisome note, involving BoMel and how he plans to manage the Snyder/Montero tandem:

Quote:
How the playing time works out between the two hasn't been decided on yet.

"It depends on how Spring Training goes," D-backs manager Bob Melvin said. "It gives me the opportunity to not put too much pressure on a guy, either Snyder or Montero, so we'll be able to match up some and then play the hot hand a little bit."

dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch. Montero is going to be the only rookie that melvin plays too much. Way to ruin a guy's value.

I'd really prefer we sign some veteran catcher for $1-2M to back up Snyder, let Montero develop some more, maybe tear up AAA pitching, and then either go with him or move him. If he's up, then he should be riding the pine behind Snyder for at least 80% of the games.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Snyder's Offseason Preparation Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
One potentially worrisome note, involving BoMel and how he plans to manage the Snyder/Montero tandem:

Quote:
How the playing time works out between the two hasn't been decided on yet.

"It depends on how Spring Training goes," D-backs manager Bob Melvin said. "It gives me the opportunity to not put too much pressure on a guy, either Snyder or Montero, so we'll be able to match up some and then play the hot hand a little bit."

I put that in our online language translator from Melvinese to English, and got the following: "I don't have a plan. I'll just decide how I feel day by day."
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Snyder's Offseason Preparation Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
I put that in our online language translator from Melvinese to English, and got the following: "I don't have a plan. I'll just decide how I feel day by day."

Good one!

I seriously debated putting the word "manage" in quotes in the original message in this thread... You said it better!
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Snyder's Offseason Preparation Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

Further translations:

Abridged version: "Huh?"

Borat version: "Sadly, I cannot make plan or else my pitchers will snap off my cock."

Hank, keep picking against my teams, please!!
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait till Snyder goes gap to gap on Zito. Snyder could be a number 4. Snyder could turn out to be 360/500/ 20-35 hr 90-110. Lance Parrish, Gary Carter Snyder.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully his off-season preparation will drive up his SLG% and he won't need additional in-season Preparation as a result of riding the pine.

http://www.77canadapharmacy.com/images/product/pictures/A/A170000/A170056.jpg
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
Wait till Snyder goes gap to gap on Zito. Snyder could be a number 4. Snyder could turn out to be 360/500/ 20-35 hr 90-110. Lance Parrish, Gary Carter Snyder.

your lips to snyders ears!!!

you wont hear a complaint from anyone here on this board if he does

Like to think im a trend setter
Counsell
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in Melvin's defense (I can't believe I'm doing that!), he's basically saying that the two need to fight for the position, at least to some degree. That's pretty much how it's always worked, of course, going back to the Stone Age. It certainly makes sense, given that these are two young, still-developing players; one could easily rise to another performance level at any moment.

On the other hand, saying that he doesn't want to put too much pressure on them is arguably meaningless. This kind of competition does, by definition, produce pressure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: