Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gambo pissed off
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Gambo pissed off Reply with quote

Gambo's LATEST RANT is awfully bitter and frustrated. I tried to figure out why, and I found the answer here:

Quote:
But that's not the way it was supposed to be. Arizona looked at signing or trading for Jason Schmidt, Randy Wolf, Mark Mulder, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland, Ted Lilly and Jason Jennings. But the price tag was too rich for the D-Backs' blood. You can easily say that Arizona has showed some fiscal responsibility in not signing players to some of the ridiculous contracts that have been handed out this year. And the price tag for mediocrity has never been higher in major league baseball. Maybe the belief is that for a few hundred thousand Arizona can save $10 million a year and still get the same below-average to average stats that pitchers like Lilly, Jennings and Gil Meche provide.

Poor Gambo. He's pissed off that the Dbacks didn't sign his favorite offseason acquisitions, such as Schmidt and Mulder and Ted Lilly and Meche. If Gambo had his way, those four would be in the rotation, Moorad and Co would've dumped 100M down the drain, and Gambo would've been sporting a new haircut and a Ferrari.

But no... that evil Josh Byrnes keeps screwing him over, trading for Doug Davis instead and now kicking the tires on Randy Johnson. How is Gambo supposed to sound like a respected guy who actually has a clue about baseball and the future of the Dbacks organization? The injustice brought onto Gambo by JByrnes is killing me...

[/rant]

Oh, Gambo, get a clue

[edit]

Btw, I LOVE the comments under his column. RDF.
Ryan
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't have said it any better than Lev, but as a fellow journalist I'd like to throw in this little nugget of embarassment for Gambo:

Quote:
Granted the D-Backs are still about $20 million in the whole this year on deferred payments going to players no longer on the club and Russ Ortiz is still owed $17 million over the next two years, but Arizona rid themselves of a ton of salary in the last two years.

Um, that would be "hole," Gambo. Try passing Grammar 101 before calling yourself a professional. You shouldn't need a copy editor to bail you out on the basic concepts of the English language.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention he gets the numbers completely screwed up.

His presentation of payroll is extremely misleading and inaccurate. It could only have been intentional.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Not to mention he gets the numbers completely screwed up.

Everything about Gambo's writing is screwed up. It's a miracle the guy has a job
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gambo screws things up and is no master of the English language, but he doesn't take himself too seriously. I've listened to him for years on the radio, and I think he's a good guy even if isn't always right. Part of a talk show host's duties are to be entertaining, and he is reasonable at that. I'm sure that he is not the cup of tea for very serious fans with a deep knowledge of their sports, but those kind of fans are in the minority. The majority of sports fans know a lot less about sports than Gambo. Twisted Evil
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucson DBacks Fan wrote:
Gambo screws things up and is no master of the English language, but he doesn't take himself too seriously. I've listened to him for years on the radio, and I think he's a good guy even if isn't always right. Part of a talk show host's duties are to be entertaining, and he is reasonable at that. I'm sure that he is not the cup of tea for very serious fans with a deep knowledge of their sports, but those kind of fans are in the minority. The majority of sports fans know a lot less about sports than Gambo. Twisted Evil

Talk about a backhanded compliment...
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan of Gambo. My understanding is that he grew up in non-English speaking house or at least his father did not speak English. Add to this that he grew up on Long Island and he had very little chance to learn the language.

He really shouldn't be writing, but talking and reporting for a living. He comes across as a nice guy who know a lot about about a lot of sports. His show was like listening to guys talk sports at a bar. I liked it and will miss it.

The new guys stink.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
I am a fan of Gambo. My understanding is that he grew up in non-English speaking house or at least his father did not speak English. Add to this that he grew up on Long Island and he had very little chance to learn the language.

that describes shoewizard to a T and he nonetheless knows more baseball than gambo despite not being paid for it...
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
I am a fan of Gambo. He comes across as a nice guy who know a lot about about a lot of sports. His show was like listening to guys talk sports at a bar. I liked it and will miss it.

The new guys stink.

Well then...
Paola Boivin / The Arizona Republic wrote:
As far as the popular afternoon slot, "I don't have any deal in place with anybody for afternoon drive," new all-sports KTAR-AM (620) program director Ryan Hatch said.

Don't be surprised if that spot is filled by former XTRA-AM (910) afternoon hosts Mark Asher and John Gambadoro, who abruptly left their show recently to pursue other opportunities.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP you are the news master.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of him but I like him.
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know the show was abruptly put to a stop.

I listen pretty often too.
rgndvo
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I dont really see your point lev. Gambo sounds to me in that blurb to be saying he thinks the dbacks made the right moves. Now, I agree that he has sung a different tune up to this point, asking for or predicting signings and not getting them but I think his point now is that the market has made it such that they are better off banking 10mil and starting enrique.

Now, on the other hand, Gambo is a retard. How the guy has a job is beyond me. I would bet that 90% of the posters here could come up with a more cohesive writing style and better "inside" information. Its not that I dont like the guy, its that I dont think hes qualified in the least to have the job he has. All he does is say things like "youve gotta have all your ducks in one basket before you cry over spilled eggs" and they play it a hundred times or he comes out with some breaking news that is 90% fabrication. WHich would even be fine if all he did was talk on the radio but they also give him space in the repugnant.
Counsell
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes Gambo sounds reasonable, but other times not. Overall, though, I agree with the generally negative view concerning his substantive comments.

A separate issue is his presentation and writing ability. That's attributable to his relative lack of education. I pushed him about it in an exchange of e-mails more than a year ago, and he finally fessed-up to having just barely over a year of college. (Not that there's anything wrong with it.)
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is the case then we shouldn't really blame Gambo for his unprofessional writing style - the fault lies with the AZ Republic for paying him to be a feature columnist.

Either way, it's quite impressive that he's been able to get where he is with such a lack of formal education. It shows that a degree can really be just a piece of paper and does not indicate the true intelligence of a person.

He may not be eloquent but his overall sports knowledge far exceeds the average person. That's what has made him a sucess.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I have just over a year of college as well.

I am not so sure I'm liking all the parallels here.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is shoewiz actually gambo? Curious minds want to know...
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel queezy
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Education is just one tool, mostly used for opening doors. The list of successful business people who made it on their own without a BA or BS is likely as long or longer than those who made it with a degree.

I've got a BS and an MA but make less than 1/3 of our top-paid employee <a salesperson> who, I believe, has an AA degree at best.

Education is nice but drive, determination, IQ and wisdom is better <and no IQ does not equal Education>.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
I feel queezy

well, I've never seen shoewiz and gambo together, so there's that...

gotta bust your choppers a bit, shoewiz... wait until the 2007 offseason though, when you have to change your handle... Wink
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Is shoewiz actually gambo? Curious minds want to know...

Now that you mention it, I've never seen them in the same room together. Surprised
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

If both TAP and I have never seen those two together, that settles it...
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've wondered this for a while. Don't forget they are both from NY and have dark hair.
rgndvo
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If that is the case then we shouldn't really blame Gambo for his unprofessional writing style - the fault lies with the AZ Republic for paying him to be a feature columnist.

Yeah, I wouldnt blame gambo for taking the repugnants money. That doesnt make the situation more palatable though.

In his case though, I dont think its desire or knowledge that got him where he is. He really isnt smart at all. I think it comes down more to being able to present his views in a way that appeals to the casual fan. You certainly dont need a degree to make money but hes really in the only career where I think he'd find this level of success.
Counsell
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoe - your writing is just fine, to say the least. :)

Some college English, literature and/or composition can only help one's writing. Some pick up that skill in high school, but others don't. If they don't, their last chance might be college.

My guess is that Gambo was a C student in HS and then did his one plus year of college at a JC - all the time being focused on things other than school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: