Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Park Factor at Chase

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ SnakePit
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Park Factor at Chase Reply with quote

I was just browsing the historical park factors for Chase over at Baseball-Reference.com, and was surprised at the apparently large fluctuations:

1998: 101 Batting/102 Pitching
1999: 97/97
2000: 102/101
2001: 106/105
2002: 108/107
2003: 111/109
2004: 103/103
2005: 104/104
2006: 107/106

Now, the park is basically the same size, and it's at the same altitude. Why would the park factor vary so much from year to year? I know it's a calculated figure based on runs scored and allowed, but I would have said a genuine "park factor" should be fairly constant.

If the "true" figure for Chase can be anywhere between 97 and 111 in a given year, doesn't the random noise all but obscure the data? [A bit like clutch hitting] Or is it not just a park factor, but maybe "park plus defense"? [I tried reading the BR explanation, but lost consciousness around paragraph three Shocked] Basically, what's the significance of these figures, and can they be used in any meaningful way to predict results going forward?

I also notice that last year was definitely more hitter-friendly than average. Looking at those stats, I'd expect a regression towards 2005's level, as the median seems to be at about 104. Maybe even lower, if our defense kicks in, as it should.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That why 3 year weighted park factors are generally better to use.

The 97 was an outlier, obviously.
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park Factors are affected by other parks as well. The PF isn't just RS and RA at home, it's also based off of RS and RA away. If you look at our NLW opponents, SD and LA saw jumps in their PF in 1999. COL saw a significant drop in 2003. These kind of things will affect us a lot with the unbalanced schedule. The humidor in COL would theoretically up our PF.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Park Factor at Chase Reply with quote

AZ SnakePit wrote:
...apparently large fluctuations:

1998: 101 Batting/102 Pitching
1999: 97/97
2000: 102/101
2001: 106/105
2002: 108/107
2003: 111/109
2004: 103/103
2005: 104/104
2006: 107/106

Now, the park is basically the same size, and it's at the same altitude. Why would the park factor vary so much from year to year?

I have never had much confidence in park factors due to the fluctuations that I have seen and my inability to find solid explanations/formulas to determine them.

If anyone has cool links on the subject, please post them.

Thanks.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct to be suspicious of single year park factors.

Here is a link for weighted park factors

Weighted Park factors

Park factors are never going to be perfect, for the reasons that Dylan pointed out. However, this is still better than a wild ass guess. Everybody knows certain parks tend to lean one way or the other. The attempts to quantify that, while imperfect, still get us closer to being able to contextualize production and performance better than not doing anything at all.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

Park factors are never going to be perfect, for the reasons that Dylan pointed out. However, this is still better than a wild ass guess. Everybody knows certain parks tend to lean one way or the other. The attempts to quantify that, while imperfect, still get us closer to being able to contextualize production and performance better than not doing anything at all.

we can always use scouts and just <forget> the stats
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 9 year average from the chart above shows a run factor of 1.04 while this link has a three year average ( '03-'05 ) of 1.12 and snake pit's '03-'05 list averages 106.

I'm very confused regarding these fluctuations.

Any ideas???
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foulpole wrote:
A 9 year average from the chart above shows a run factor of 1.04 while this link has a three year average ( '03-'05 ) of 1.12 and snake pit's '03-'05 list averages 106.

I'm very confused regarding these fluctuations.

Any ideas???

Like most things, you can make them as complicated or simple as you want. The simplest form is this:

((Home RS + Home RA) / Home Games) / ((Road RS + Raod RA) / Road Games)

This gives you the run environment park factor for 1 year. A simple weighted avg would be (3*this year + 2*last year + year before that) / 6
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that wouldn't explain how Dan came up with 112. He is using 8,5,3 by the way.

I sent him an e mail and am waiting for response.
AZ SnakePit
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:
Park Factors are affected by other parks as well. The PF isn't just RS and RA at home, it's also based off of RS and RA away. If you look at our NLW opponents, SD and LA saw jumps in their PF in 1999. COL saw a significant drop in 2003. These kind of things will affect us a lot with the unbalanced schedule. The humidor in COL would theoretically up our PF.

And that's a large chunk of my problem. It's not really our "park factor" if it's affected by the behavior of other parks. The value for Chase would depend partly on the values for the other parks. Which would, in turn, depend partly on the value for Chase. My head hurts... I can't see any way of avoiding this, because you need to compare the runs scored at home with *something*.

But I think with a park-factor, you should be aiming to find the true value, which would be something constant - another season is just another point of data towards this end. Why weight the recent ones more heavily?
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, there are alot of factors that might affect a park from year to year...(less so in chase field of course)

Weather and wind patterns

Changes in the hitters background in CF

Changes in the dimensions of the OF

Changes in the dimesnions of the foul territory

Other external factors, such as the Humidor in Colorado

For example, a couple of years ago they made changes to the hitters background in CF in Dodger Stadium, and also added seats that reduced the amount of foul territory. That obviously affected how Dodger Stadium played.

Back in the early 80's I believe, (not sure of the exact year) they added a structure on the roof behind home plate at Fenway, and that changed the wind patterns out to left field. In todays Fenway Park, maybe Bucky Dents homer does not go over the wall.

Wrigley often plays like two different parks, with the wind tending to blow IN during the months of April, May and September, but OUT during the months of June, July & August.

And as for Coors field, over the last couple of months of the season, it actually played like the coors field of old. This may or may not have been due to Changes in the use of the Humidor.

Ballpark factors are generally not "static".

That said.....there are identifiable trends. With the exception of 1999, Chase/Bob has ALWAYS played as a hitters park....and with the exception of a coulpe of outlier years, for the most part has been within an identifiable range.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my E mail to Dan, and his response:

Quote:
Dan, I was wondering if you could help me out with something.

In your 2003-2005 wieghted park factors, Arizona is listed with a 112 (runs).

This is a little confusing to me, as per baseball-reference park factors, the park factor was 111 in 03, 103 in 04, and 104 in 05.

Are you sure the 112 weighted park factor listed for arizona was correct?

Also, have you posted an updated version of this, 2004-2006, I couldn't find it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I know you are busy.

Regards
Shoe

Response:

Quote:
Shoe,
You're actually looking at two different things here. The park factors I posted that time were simply the "straight-up" park factors of home stuff divided by road stuff while the B-R park factors are park factors already divided by the effect of 81 road games so that the park factors can neatly multiply to OPS+ and ERA+ for individual players. Check out step 3 in the park factor glossary.

Do you need the factors for something in particular? I have the 04-06 multipliers on my MLE spreadsheet if you need them.

dan

Baseball Ref Glossary

The Bball Ref park factor was 107 hitters/106 pitchers for 2006

Just using straight Runs, I came up with 114 park factor

832 Runs scored in chase field, 10.27/g
729 Runs scored in road games. 9/g

10.27/9 = 1.14

Using the same method, I got

2005-109
2004-107
2003-121
2002-117
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:

Like most things, you can make them as complicated or simple as you want. The simplest form is this:

((Home RS + Home RA) / Home Games) / ((Road RS + Raod RA) / Road Games)

This gives you the run environment park factor for 1 year. A simple weighted avg would be (3*this year + 2*last year + year before that) / 6

Thanks for your input Dylan. Any theory behind why the 3,2,1 factors are important?

shoewizard wrote:
But that wouldn't explain how Dan came up with 112. He is using 8,5,3 by the way.

I assume that "8,5,3" means the weight placed upon each year's info?

Quote:
Shoe,
You're actually looking at two different things here. The park factors I posted that time were simply the "straight-up" park factors of home stuff divided by road stuff while the B-R park factors are park factors already divided by the effect of 81 road games so that the park factors can neatly multiply to OPS+ and ERA+ for individual players. Check out step 3 in the park factor glossary.

dan

This is an excellent illustration of the source of my confusion. It seems that many of these figures are not accompanied by an explanation of the formula/theory used to calculate the park factor and the numbers do differ from one source to the next.

It seems strange to me that there could be a pitchers park factor that differs from the hitters. It appears as though they are trying to make an adjustment for the home players not facing their own pitchers but it's counter intuitive that this would be a different number.

It appears as though there will continue to be new theories and formulas presented with time.

Any thoughts on which formula is most accurate or strengths/weaknesses of the different theories?

Thanks for your input and links, Dylan and shoe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: