Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RJ asked to be traded?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: RJ asked to be traded? Reply with quote

Randy wants out of NY?

like everything in life, it's unofficial and unconfirmed, but the ny papers are claiming RJ has asked to be traded close to his home in AZ. he has one year and $16m left on the extension he signed with the yankees after going there

the question is, do the dbacks go after rj? and if they do, whom do they offer?
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Byrnes?
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the article:
The Diamondbacks are closest to Johnson's home, but they were the ones that dealt him to the Yankees because they wanted to shed the contract of a 40-plus pitcher with back and knee issues. The Angels, Dodgers, Padres and Giants are closer to Arizona than The Bronx, but would they be willing to pay Johnson's salary and give the Yankees at least prospects in return? Seattle, where Johnson pitched from 1989 to 1998, is shopping first baseman Richie Sexson ($28 million for 2007-08 ). Though the Yankees, who would prefer a right-handed hitting first baseman, would save $2 million in 2007, it would cost them $14 million in 2008.

I thought it was more a matter of RJ not wanting to deal with a 100+ loss team anymore rather than AZ looking to shed the contract of a 40+ pitcher with back and knee issues. In 2004 when Randy was traded, he was the most dominating pitcher in the NL.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Eric Byrnes?

touche.
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Seattle, where Johnson pitched from 1989 to 1998, is shopping first baseman Richie Sexson ($28 million for 2007-08 ). Though the Yankees, who would prefer a right-handed hitting first baseman, would save $2 million in 2007, it would cost them $14 million in 2008.

Uh...earth to the NY Post...Sexson is a right-handed hitting first baseman.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
TAP wrote:
Seattle, where Johnson pitched from 1989 to 1998, is shopping first baseman Richie Sexson ($28 million for 2007-08 ). Though the Yankees, who would prefer a right-handed hitting first baseman, would save $2 million in 2007, it would cost them $14 million in 2008.

Uh...earth to the NY Post...Sexson is a right-handed hitting first baseman.

I'm not sure the [edit] Post [/edit] meant differently, David. The paper means that the Yankees would prefer a right handed hitting 1bman, which Sexson is. Just poor wording.

Btw, if the Yankees acquired Sexson, they'd officially be one mo-fo-ing scary team.
JoshByrnesWhenIPee
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I'd even consider this is if RJ's back surgery made him feel 100%, and we could get Eric Byrnes off of our hands, AND the Yankees would be willing to eat the majority of RJ's salary. In other words, no.
Prezkot
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah if the Yanks did a Bill Bavasi sort of deal & paid 75% of RJ's contract for us, and we gave them minimal in return (say, Eric Byrnes & a marginal prospect they can overhype), I'd do that in a heartbeat.

He may or may not give us a couple of good starts, but from a marketing standpoint it would give the fair-weather fans who only pay for name recognition something to get a jones about. OMFGOZRZ RJS BACK!!!

But alas, the odds of making such a deal that would work FOR US, is sitting between Slim Pickens and no chance in hell.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prezkot wrote:
Yeah if the Yanks did a Bill Bavasi sort of deal & paid 75% of RJ's contract for us, and we gave them minimal in return (say, Eric Byrnes & a marginal prospect they can overhype), I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Cashman = smart
Buzzie Bavasi's other idiot son = teh suck
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the perception of how bad RJ did last year is tainted a bit by how good he used to be and how much he's currently getting paid.

His xFIP was 4.55 last year and he pitched over 200 innings. If Enrique did the same last year we'd be excited about having him on board.

Even though RJ would fit into AZ the best <nostalgia/home>, I can't see it happening due to the way he left and the current size of his contract.

I can definitely see another team eating 8-10MM of his contract <it's just crazy out there> next year if they don't have to give up too much in a trade.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go on record saying I'd be extremely happy if he did come to AZ to finish his career <especially if it took EB to get him here>.
Aaron
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75% of his salary? No way, the Yankees aren't looking to dump salary here.

I say, Eric Byrnes straight up and I'm (assuming I'm management for the time being) willing to pick up the entire salary. You save $5MM or $6MM (whatever Byrnes' salary will be). In the current market Randy is certainly an $11MM pitcher (or whatever). Plus it's a one-year deal so our committment is limited. If he pitches well we've got exclusive negotiating rights heading into next season. Maybe he'd give us somewhat of a break if we give him a Roger Clemens type deal (doesn't have to travel with the team if he's not scheduled to pitch, etc.).

I'd much rather this happen than a Mulder deal. I think there's more upside and less risk. Good combination. Plus, although I know people don't agree with me, it'd be a box office winner.

Needless to say, I'd love to see this happen. Just hold onto the prospects. Byrnes/Julio?
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If if the Yankees would be looking to deal RJ, nobody is picking up his entire salary. I love RJ and would love to see him finish his career here, but he just isn't worth 16MM <even in this offseason>.

I would say that if the Yankees trade him, they'd be looking for something good in return and would be willing to pay enough of his salary to get it.
Aaron
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, the question is why would the Yankees want Byrnes? They have Abreu/Matsui/Damon in the OF and Bernie Williams/Melky Cabrera backing them up. They'd probably need to deal off Melky before they'd even consider him. I did read a rumor of Melky going to Atlanta yesterday, so it's possible.

That said, Byrnes is a primo 4th OF. He can play all 3 OF positions and is a capable starter in case of injury. I remember hearing that the Yankees were inquiring about him during the season last year.

I'd hope that us picking up the entire salary would preclude getting serious prospects involved.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with Byrnes gone, we don't have the budget to pay RJ's entire salary, even if we wanted to.

Bottom line, if RJ was a free agent right now, how much would we bid on him. Take that and then assume we have to give up a prospect.
Aaron
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into this more tomorrow when I have more time (ie when I'm at work), but I seem to remember looking this up before and that Randy had a similar K-rate to Schmidt, his WHIP was better, etc. And Schmidt just got a 3-year deal for $17MM per. I'm not saying Randy is a better pitcher than him, but it's not all that uneven either. And it's a one-year deal.

I personally believe that Randy is going to have a nice comeback season. Whether that's in a Yankee uni or not, I've beleived that all offseason.

I'll look into the numbers deeper tomorrow (although I'll bet someone beats me to the punch) with an open mind. The combination of re-acquiring him while dealing off Byrnes/getting Hairson some PT would be extremely enticing. But that's just me.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the yankees have no use for eric byrnes.

they need relief pitching, especially left handed, and a first baseman. i could see them being interested in chad tracy, but as low as chad's trade value is right now, i do not trade him for randy johnson.

i say tony clark for randy johnson. and we're cutting out own throats.
Prezkot
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I mean. I wasn't pushing out those crazy extremes as reasonable thought. Of course the Yankees aren't going to trade off a guy like RJ for 25 cents on the dollar and pieces they have no need for.

I'm just speculating that if for some reason, in a world where everyone is high on drugs and trading Alex Gordon for Scott Linebrink etc, that I'd do an RJ deal on those terms.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
          ERA    ERA+  XFIP   IP    K/9    WHIP
RJ        5.00    89   4.55   205   7.55   1.24
SCHMIDT   3.59   127   4.63   213   7.60   1.26

T    A    P   RJ   JS   
BB%     5    8   11    7    9   
K%     20   16   12   20   20   
GB%    50   42   35   42   37   
LD%    17   20   23   16   19   
HR/F%   9   12   15   12    9

Ok, here's my feeble minded attempt at statistics. The top lists the surface level and the bottom list individual qualities <the TAP are % for Terrific, Average, Problem>. I copied all of this from the Cameron site in the MLB Statistics postings <getting RJ & JS stats from THT>.

In looking at the top stats RJ & Schmidts seem pretty identical other than ERA & ERA+. In the stats below it looks as if RJ has better control and pitches more GB but lets a significantly higher % of his FB to leave the yard.

All in all they appeared much closer for 2006 than I would have thought.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have a problem if Randy the player came back, but the way he bailed on us after '04 was BS, and we just couldn't have him back. Plus, the gate would be up for a little while, but I think the novelty would wear off after people saw RJ as a shadow of what he was. Do we really want a washed up, 40 yr old goin out there and getting booed off the mound where he won a WS?
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves, Randy left because we were dumping salary and he was unwilling to modify his contract to effectively take a pay cut. He was coming off of a Cy Young <robbery> year and shouldn't have accepted a pay cut.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how I remembered it going down. However, 111 losses didn't help the team keep him
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshByrnesWhenIPee wrote:
The only way I'd even consider this is if RJ's back surgery made him feel 100%, and we could get Eric Byrnes off of our hands, AND the Yankees would be willing to eat the majority of RJ's salary. In other words, no.

i have said a return for RJ for about a year now....he will not get his 300 win this year as a yankee.......figured we would sign him next year as a FA and let him get his 300 here.......but if he wants out, the about quoted trade above would work....but they have a full outfield already, so i dont see EB22 going there, but if they pay the MAJORITY im willing to listen...

Like to think im a trend setter
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMar, Did you get a chance to see RJ pitch at alll last year? He is giving up ALOT of homeruns. 28 last year, 32 the year before that. His velocity is down 3-4 MPH on the fastball and over 5 MPH on the slider.

Remember watching guys dance out of the way on sliders they thought were going to hit them in the ankles? I don't think I saw that once in the several starts I watched last year.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't catch more than a few innings of his pitching. I was commenting totally on stats. From my interpretation of the stats he is giving up an "average" amount of HR <not to be confused with an average amount for front of rotation pitchers>.

I was just sort of blown away that the rest of his stats were as good as they were when compared to Schmidt. I'd assumed his stats were much worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: