Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
GM ranks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Dangerfield wrote:

plus the a's have good pitching and d, so they win with anemic offenses. In the playoffs, that advantage decreases. The A's are the dodgers of the 60's, but they don't have wills.

The A's weren't a pitching team in 00 and 01? They didn't have a good defense? My point is the A's rarely play small ball, of creating action on the field. that's all, in those years especially. Now obp is a major part of small ball btw, they've always been station to station. The post is about why they don't win in the playoffs, especially in 1 or 2 run games in the playoffs.

Read that quote of yours I isolated out. If your point was to show that they don't play small ball, then how does that fit into your point? All I said was that they didn't have anemic offenses in 2000 and 2001 and still lost.

As for the lack of small ball causing them to lose, stu gave us Retrosheet to look it up and provide examples. Would you mind verifying your statement with examples?
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Espo wrote:
I concede to the fact that I probably bought into the main stream media's take on why the A's don't win in the playoffs. The more I look at posts here and do more research it seems like things are more of a luck than anything in the playoffs and the A's just happen to have had bad luck.

Well I'm always careful with the "luck" and "crapshoot" comments because it can easily give the wrong impression. It takes skill and talent to win a baseball series and the teams that win most often are the ones who played better.

The luck has to do more with the major fluxuation the sport seems to produce in a players outcome over the short term and trying to nail that down and disect it. You can't account for when a Billy Hatcher will hit .700 over a series or Barry Bonds will disappear.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OTOH, I think a team never (well hardly ever) bunting or stealing hurts them and hurts them where the odds for winning are about even (which is usally the case in the playoffs). The third baseman can play back a little more, the first baseman can move off the bag a little faster. The infielders can hold their positions and maybe not move as close to the bags.

All of this stuff gives minor edges to teams that mix up their strategies. Tango's The Book emphasizes that, like poker, doing the same thing repeatedly is a bad strategy.

All of the bone head plays listed by Dylan make me wonder if the lack of emphasis on "little ball" made the A's a dumb team. You would not have expected a little ball type player to make those types of bonehead moves. Maybe the lack of emphasis on fundamentals leads a little to ignoring the little aspects of the game.

The answer maybe in there fwiw. I don't think they're a dumb team, ever, quite the opposite. The A's under Beane have always been more station to station, just his (Beane's) style.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider, I made the specific example of the way the tigers came out against Zito, where they were aggressive, trying to hit the gaps.How often have you seen, or heard about the A's employing that?

Now I did give an example of the way Frank Thomas came out against Johan, during the playoff, consciously being aggressive and pulling the ball, probably sitting on his change. He homered.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they're a dumb team, ever, quite the opposite.

The list Dyaln submitted was quite a list of dumb moves in such a short period of games.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree with this list except that I believe Dombrowski and Beinfest should be somewhere on there. I'd probably take out Cashman for sure. The other one is tricky. I'm tempted to say Stoneman because of the recent GMJ signing, but I'll go with our own Josh Byrnes. It's simply too early to say he's a top 10 GM, though I certainly agree that he is better than our old GM by miles.

Welcome to the board, dback09

I wouldn't rank Stoneman or Cashman that high either, but no quibbles 1-8
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:
Dangerfield wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Dangerfield wrote:

plus the a's have good pitching and d, so they win with anemic offenses. In the playoffs, that advantage decreases. The A's are the dodgers of the 60's, but they don't have wills.

The A's weren't a pitching team in 00 and 01? They didn't have a good defense? My point is the A's rarely play small ball, of creating action on the field. that's all, in those years especially. Now obp is a major part of small ball btw, they've always been station to station. The post is about why they don't win in the playoffs, especially in 1 or 2 run games in the playoffs.

Read that quote of yours I isolated out. If your point was to show that they don't play small ball, then how does that fit into your point? All I said was that they didn't have anemic offenses in 2000 and 2001 and still lost.

As for the lack of small ball causing them to lose, stu gave us Retrosheet to look it up and provide examples. Would you mind verifying your statement with examples?

The tough thing, going back to these things, you can't prove it. Could Damon of tried to bunt against Rivera, going back through game situations, even with my semi-photographic memory, its next to impossible to prove. Now, its not impossible to prove that yes, the A's have Beane, have always been station to station.

Now let's talk about protection, and how Giambi was probably pitched around during those games in high energy situations.
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
Another thing to consider, I made the specific example of the way the tigers came out against Zito, where they were aggressive, trying to hit the gaps.How often have you seen, or heard about the A's employing that?

Yet that same agressiveness seriously hurt them in the WS against StL. Only one game, the one they won, did they get the pitcher out before the 6th inning and there were 3 games where the StL pitcher went 8 IP and didn't hit 100 pitches. This is my point, you can say that the A's should have been more agressive, but you can't say that being more agressive is the way to approach the playoffs because it seriously hurt Det to be such.
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Dangerfield wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Dangerfield wrote:

The tough thing, going back to these things, you can't prove it. Could Damon of tried to bunt against Rivera, going back through game situations, even with my semi-photographic memory, its next to impossible to prove. Now, its not impossible to prove that yes, the A's have Beane, have always been station to station.

Now let's talk about protection, and how Giambi was probably pitched around during those games in high energy situations.

Well you're adressing cause or corallation. You're saying the station to station had an effect (adversely) and it is up to you to prove that or at least offer up data beyond conjecture that it might be true. Surely we can agree on some generic situations of when to steal a base or when to sac bunt or ect.. Hell we can even play the obviously flawed Bill James game of looking at the batters after to see if a productive out would have helped or not, but unless you offer something we can actually look at you're point is lost and not convincing.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:
Dangerfield wrote:

Yet that same agressiveness seriously hurt them in the WS against StL. Only one game, the one they won, did they get the pitcher out before the 6th inning and there were 3 games where the StL pitcher went 8 IP and didn't hit 100 pitches. This is my point, you can say that the A's should have been more agressive, but you can't say that being more agressive is the way to approach the playoffs because it seriously hurt Det to be such.

That isn't what hurt them, what hurt the Tigers is their pitchers couldn't throw to first.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That isn't what hurt them, what hurt the Tigers is their pitchers couldn't throw to first.

The Tigers hit .199/.237/.335 in the World Series, walking just 8 times while striking out 37 times in 161 at bats. They scored only 11 runs in 5 games.

What the hell did their pitchers throwing woes have to do with their hitting in the W.S.???

Oh yeah...I forgot.....synergy Wink
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Yet that same agressiveness seriously hurt them in the WS against StL. Only one game, the one they won, did they get the pitcher out before the 6th inning and there were 3 games where the StL pitcher went 8 IP and didn't hit 100 pitches.

The pitcher errors were the obvious bone crushers; however, Dylan is absolutely correct with overall game strategy. Cards pitchers developed a game plan based around expected Tiger hitting aggressiveness, and everything fell into place -- any game that can go straight from the starting pitcher to Wainwright (without putting Looper on the mound) was a huge plus for the Redbirds.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can say the detroit offense cost them the series. or you can say it was the errors. or the cards pitchers stepping up big when it mattered.

personally, i still blame hank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: