Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Post subject: Re: Justin Upton
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:21 pm 

Dre wrote:
From Nightengale

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/n ... iners.html

Quote:
Justin Upton will be traded, Nightengale writes. It’s a question of whether the Diamondbacks complete the trade now or after the season.

such horseshit... but just feels so inevitable now

Is Shadow Bob Nightinggale? I have never seen them together. Although Shadow's posts are of a much higher quality than Nightinggale's writing. A possible false lead?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:43 pm 

This whole saga reminds of the soccer transfer markets. One player or coach says one thing about fielding offers for a player for whatever reason and suddenly every team on the planet is linked to the player and every writer has some "unnamed source" that says the player is on the outs, and nothing happens just as often as something does.

In this case, I'm not sure what to believe. I'm just as inclined to believe that if enough people are saying he's officially on the block that he will in fact be traded hell or high water as I am that there's a lot of media hyperactivity and that it's just the typical talk that comes with the territory in regards to a player like Upton.

I'm also trying to give KT a lot more credit than this talk. I just can't imagine he'd deal upton just to make a trade, and I sure as hell don't believe he wouldn't get the full value for him (which makes the whole thing unlikely, in my mind).

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:11 pm 

Quote:
I'm also trying to give KT a lot more credit than this talk. I just can't imagine he'd deal upton just to make a trade, and I sure as hell don't believe he wouldn't get the full value for him (which makes the whole thing unlikely, in my mind).

Haleljuia!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:48 pm 

Heard DH on KTAR about an hour ago doing his best to dispel the rumors. Two things that stuck with me:

1. He was very emphatic about the fact that Justin is NOT a problem in the club house or on the field and reiterated that they are not shopping him. Said what we have heard before, that like any other player, they would entertain any offer that blew them away. He mentioned a few times that Justin is a great kid (I think he even said he had a good attitude, but I'm not positive) and that anyone that says there must be something "wrong" with Justin because of these rumors is absolutely misinformed.

2. He said that any trade they make for Upton would have to make them BETTER this year, at the MLB level. This could be a good or a bad thing. If they think they get better this year by trading him for a "proven vet" journeyman with "spark and clubhouse presence," etc., that's about the worst of all possibilities. If he means they would have to get a current star player in return and basically make it a "buying" move rather than a "selling" move, that is still not a good decision but the good side is that that scenario is extremely unlikely.

Anyone who also heard the Doug and Wolf interview, please correct or add to my account.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:13 pm 

That sounds much better!

Might be the greatest post in the history of this board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:35 pm 

Like I said before, the Dbax never said anything about why they might consider trading Upton, it was purely speculation by "rival execs" that was repeated by everybody in the media. And it was a good play by the rival execs, to throw out all those rumors and get the talking heads spinning. I don't know why anybody would believe that some beat writer in another town would know a goddamn thing about the dbax clubhouse/FO. If NickP didn't have a tip, I guarantee you none of those other jackasses did.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:47 pm 

Maybe he showed the KT thread to Towers, "You wanna keep your job? Your pride? Don't trade the kid or Shoe will make you look like an idiot even further."

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:19 pm 

Yep that's what did it :lol: ;)

"There's NO Crying in Baseball"
Tom Hanks- "A League of Their Own"

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:48 pm 

xjwheelr wrote:
Heard DH on KTAR about an hour ago doing his best to dispel the rumors. Two things that stuck with me:

1. He was very emphatic about the fact that Justin is NOT a problem in the club house or on the field and reiterated that they are not shopping him. Said what we have heard before, that like any other player, they would entertain any offer that blew them away. He mentioned a few times that Justin is a great kid (I think he even said he had a good attitude, but I'm not positive) and that anyone that says there must be something "wrong" with Justin because of these rumors is absolutely misinformed.

2. He said that any trade they make for Upton would have to make them BETTER this year, at the MLB level. This could be a good or a bad thing. If they think they get better this year by trading him for a "proven vet" journeyman with "spark and clubhouse presence," etc., that's about the worst of all possibilities. If he means they would have to get a current star player in return and basically make it a "buying" move rather than a "selling" move, that is still not a good decision but the good side is that that scenario is extremely unlikely.

Anyone who also heard the Doug and Wolf interview, please correct or add to my account.

I heard the interview and this is a good summary. Hall said they were not going to trade Upton unless they got "blown away" with an offer. So this is the standard. The trade must not only be a good trade, but a deal that is so favorable to the Dbacks that it blow us away. Let's see if this holds to be true.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:15 pm 

Upton and Drew traded for Prado, straight up.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:23 pm 

dbacks_Nation wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:19 pm 

dbacks_Nation wrote:

Are you reporting this or just being goofy in a nonsensical way?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:27 pm 

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/07/19/1 ... kID=763329

Quote:
The D-backs have said they would need to be bowled over: A deal that includes a top of the rotation starter and an elite shortstop or third baseman, all of whom are controllable for at least as long as the three years remaining on Upton’s contract, would be a start.

No team has ponied up yet, and the D-backs are getting the sense that no one will.

“I don’t see anything happening with Justin,” D-backs managing partner Ken Kendrick said Thursday.

“If we were looking to trade Justin, there is a significant market for him. He is very valued,” Kendrick said. But at this point, “those things do not seem remotely possible.”

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:36 pm 

Dre wrote:
http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/07/19/12/Kendrick-Nothing-happening-with-Upton/landing_dbacks.html?blockID=763329

Quote:
The D-backs have said they would need to be bowled over: A deal that includes a top of the rotation starter and an elite shortstop or third baseman, all of whom are controllable for at least as long as the three years remaining on Upton’s contract, would be a start.

No team has ponied up yet, and the D-backs are getting the sense that no one will.

“I don’t see anything happening with Justin,” D-backs managing partner Ken Kendrick said Thursday.

“If we were looking to trade Justin, there is a significant market for him. He is very valued,” Kendrick said. But at this point, “those things do not seem remotely possible.”

Other Kendrick quotes from the article:

Kendrick bristled when he read one recent report that said Upton is not a winner. He also said he talked to Upton after calling him “an enigma,” which is not a pejorative term, although some seemed to read it that way.

“The fact of the matter is, he’s a player I really like,” Kendrick said. “He gets it. He understands it. He and I are good with it.

“It was very disappointing to see what was written about Justin. They have no idea of his work ethic. We have won with Justin. I think we won our division since 2007, and he was an integral part of both teams.

“I’m not thrilled about Justin Upton playing for anybody but the Diamondbacks, and I don’t think Kevin is, either.”

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:52 pm 

Kendrick thinks we won our division in 2007.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:04 pm 

We did

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:42 pm 

Oh, snap

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:47 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
We did

That's my point! You'd think he'd know we won the division the first year he took over the Dbacks.

Does he also "think" we won the World Series in 2001? Well we did, and we have banners hanging for these things, Kendrick!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 am 

So Kendrick likes Upton and DHall likes Upton, but Towers doesn't think he's a winner. And those 2 let the new guy jeopardize retaining the most talented player in the organization? Pussies. The instant Towers says he has a deal for Upton, those 2 need to tell him he's fired.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:01 am 

If we could turn back the clock and hire Dipoto instead of KT, imagine what baseball would look like now.

Pujols a Marlin
Giants repeat WS Champions

Page 56 of 99 [ 1978 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 99  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News