Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Should Arizona resign Tony Clark?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilJuan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
There are no baseball reasons whatsover to sign him to an extension, and this organization has made enough decisions based on non baseball reasons for one year, thank you.

Hire him as a coach or spiritual advisor or something. Make it worth his while. He doesn't want to leave Arizona. So make him an offer to keep him in the organization that is good enough to keep him from wanting to DH/PH somewhere in the AL for 1 million.

Does Tony have what it takes to be a hitting coach?

If he does, and Rick Schu returns to the post he held prior to replacing Seitzer, that opens the door for his "veteran presence" to remain in the dugout, without consuming a roster spot and without the performance that is near to falling off a cliff...
Orlando Thill Hudson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
How can any of us calculate or put an absolute value on that veteran presence, though?

This is the same stuff we heard about Gonzo. How has that worked out?

In fact, Tracy said that the 2004 team (with Gonzo) had no verteran leaders. Yet the press would have you believe that Gonzo was a vital presence in the locker room.

The media gives us so much BS about this, that I don't think we can believe a thing they say about it. I don't deny that in certain cases maybe it helps a little, but it is impossible to quantify and it is no where near as much as the medidiots would have us believe.

Comparing the Gonzo situation to the Tony Clark situation doesn't make a whole lot of sense, IMO. I don't buy Gonzo as a "good guy", but even if he was, his declining production in the everyday lineup cancelled out any forseeable advantage that he brought to the clubhouse.

Tony Clark, on the other hand, gets 1 start every 7 days(sometimes), pinch hits a little bit off of the bench, and is a valuable cog to this team. I don't have to rely upon what the "media" tells me about Tony Clark's value. I know for a fact that he's the Whiskey Sour that keeps our clubhouse feelin' tipsy.

How many pinch hit game winning/game tying home runs does the guy have to hit this year?

Every time he comes in during the 9th inning, you can find somebody that makes a comment like "Tony Clark in for defensive purposes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes "

Then, he makes a great snag like the one last night. Pay Clark more than 1 million dollars? No. Is he a wasted roster spot for less than that? Absolutely not, IMO.
stu
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for a fact that he's the Whiskey Sour that keeps our clubhouse feelin' tipsy.

In other words, don't confuse you with facts, your mind is made up. I suppose everyone is different but Tony Clark. He is the one exception to the rule but other than your opinion you cannot cite any facts for this. I find these types of argument less than compelling.

A roster spot is important. I am one of those who has defended Clark saying that he has performed a valuable role this year. However, your arguments are beginning to convince me otherwise.

If the best you can do is that he is defensive replacement for one inning at first and starts every 7 days with a poor batting stats I am thinking that the spot is probably better used for another player.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to differentiate what Clark has done, and can hopefully still do this year, vs. what he is likely to do next year if extended.

He is borderline useful in a baseball sense this year. Yes, he has had some big pinch hits.....because he pinch hits A LOT. Had he come up with a big hit yesterday, and driven in the runner on 3rd, the 9th would not have been so tense, would it? His big hits are coming less and less frequently. It only gets worse from here. At his age, and with his physical limitations now, (even though that WAS a great play last night), nobody can reasonably project him to be anything other than worse than what he has been this year. This is what happens when players age.

But thats ok. I'm fine with him the rest of the year. I just don't want to see him extended for NON BASEBALL PERFORMANCE issues.

For 2008 and beyond: Coach Yes, Roster Spot NO
YBC-Dog
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is something I don't understand.

When a rookie is called up and put on the bench in favor of a PV, almost everyone on this site gets upset (including me). However, it seems here that almost everyone on this site would prefer we do this scenario and get rid of Tony Clark.

Why is it "stunting Conor's development" to bench him in favor of TC in '05, but acceptable to most out here to bring some kid up with no major league experience and then leave him to rot on the bench behind Conor?

I bring it up because I wouldn't mind keeping TC around in his current role of pinch hitter/clubhouse guy (at the same price we are paying now). If he were not good at coming off the bench, or if he were demanding a bigger role I would be against it, but he's been good off the bench and hasn't complained about playing time and helped the kids when asked.

And we are not stunting Tony's development like we would someone from the farm.

So is the line in the sand that it's "stunting someone's development" when he's brought up to backup a guy with more than 3 years of MLB experience, but not stunting the development when it is someone with less than 3 years of mlb experience? Kidding...but seriously, what's the difference?

That it's acceptable to stunt certain player's development because we don't want to lose them, and have to conserve our roster spots because of a loaded farm?

I personally would prefer letting PV's sit on the bench as opposed to young talent that should be playing every day.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:

When a rookie is called up and put on the bench in favor of a PV, almost everyone on this site gets upset (including me). However, it seems here that almost everyone on this site would prefer we do this scenario and get rid of Tony Clark.

Why is it "stunting Conor's development" to bench him in favor of TC in '05, but acceptable to most out here to bring some kid up with no major league experience and then leave him to rot on the bench behind Conor?

I bring it up because I wouldn't mind keeping TC around in his current role of pinch hitter/clubhouse guy (at the same price we are paying now). If he were not good at coming off the bench, or if he were demanding a bigger role I would be against it, but he's been good off the bench and hasn't complained about playing time and helped the kids when asked.

So is the line in the sand that it's "stunting someone's development" when he's brought up to backup a guy with more than 3 years of MLB experience, but not stunting the development when it is someone with less than 3 years of mlb experience? Kidding...but seriously, what's the difference?

That it's acceptable to stunt certain player's development because we don't want to lose them, and have to conserve our roster spots because of a loaded farm?

I personally would prefer letting PV's sit on the bench as opposed to young talent that should be playing every day.

No one is arguing that Clark is "stunting someone's development", more that he isnt very good on the field.

While Clark has posted a 258 .343 .581 .924 line as a PHer - that is only 31 ABs. His line of .223 .262 .423 .685 in 130 ABs as a 1B isnt very good.

This team is going to have some tough decisions to make about this roster next year. There are so many permutations based on trades that could affect roster "construction" that it is almost mind boggling. IMO - a roster spot is better used on someone who is more versatile, and has a better chance of being productive on the field. I sure hope that a guy like quentin isnt traded (sold at lowest value) because clark is taking a roster spot.

Hire Clark as a coach.
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
I just don't want to see him extended for NON BASEBALL PERFORMANCE issues.

One non-baseball performance decision per year is enough.
- 2008 World Champions
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
YBC-Dog wrote:

No one is arguing that Clark is "stunting someone's development", more that he isnt very good on the field.

While Clark has posted a 258 .343 .581 .924 line as a PHer - that is only 31 ABs. His line of .223 .262 .423 .685 in 130 ABs as a 1B isnt very good.

This team is going to have some tough decisions to make about this roster next year. There are so many permutations based on trades that could affect roster "construction" that it is almost mind boggling. IMO - a roster spot is better used on someone who is more versatile, and has a better chance of being productive on the field. I sure hope that a guy like quentin isnt traded (sold at lowest value) because clark is taking a roster spot.

Hire Clark as a coach.

Exactly, the price to keep Clark sharp enough for pinch hit duty, is 130 at bats of very bad suck as a starter.

Just because I would prefer Clarks roster spot go to someone else next year, it doesn't mean it needs to go to a young kid who never gets to play.
He can just play somewhere else and not take the PA's away from CJ.

Right now......doing whatever possible to develop CJ into the best full time player he can be HAS to be the priority over at first base. They only have one more year to figure it out before he hits arbitration.

Playing every day, 150 games, 600+ PA, and learning how to make plays at first under high pressure, late inning situations, is part of that.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, oh by the way - the only reason i answered that question is because you used the word roster "CONSTRUCTION"....
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:

If the best you can do is that he is defensive replacement for one inning at first and starts every 7 days with a poor batting stats I am thinking that the spot is probably better used for another player.

Yep... nice guy and suitable coaching fodder who can serve as valuable mentorship role in that capacity. But has become a liability for a regular roster spot.

Hopefully, TC will retire and explore coaching opportunities.
stu
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Clark's record of leading teams into the playoffs and his clutch performance once there speaks volumes for his veteran leadership.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/clarkto02.shtml
THE SHADOW
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about TC coaching. Yes he wants to coach but it won't be baseball. He will be coaching hoops when he is done.

But hey if they pay you $1 million+ to play some partime ball you do it as long as you can.
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
All this talk about TC coaching. Yes he wants to coach but it won't be baseball. He will be coaching hoops when he is done.

How many people are aware that Tony averaged 43.7 points per game on the court during his high school senior season, earning All-American and Academic All-American honors in baseball and basketball at Christian High School in El Cajon, CA before playing both sports first at the U of A and finishing at San Diego State?
- 2008 World Champions
THE SHADOW
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:

How many people are aware that Tony averaged 43.7 points per game on the court during his high school senior season, earning All-American and Academic All-American honors in baseball and basketball at Christian High School in El Cajon, CA before playing both sports first at the U of A and finishing at San Diego State?

I covered TC back in his old WAC hoops days and let me tell you he could knock down that three from the corner as well as anyone. Shocked
charlie
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last note...

Using Clark's fine defensive play the other night as an example of why he should be re-signed misses the point in that it assumes another player would not have made the same play.

I don't find that reasoning very compelling.
Dylan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlie wrote:
One last note...

Using Clark's fine defensive play the other night as an example of why he should be re-signed misses the point in that it assumes another player would not have made the same play.

I don't find that reasoning very compelling.

"The plural of anecdote is not data" Wink
EvilJuan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<bump>
whatuwant
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a move that has seemed like a foregone conclusion for the past month, several Diamondbacks’ officials said yesterday that the D-Backs will make every effort to re-sign Tony Clark this winter.

link
wedge
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor cojack...
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatuwant wrote:
Quote:
In a move that has seemed like a foregone conclusion for the past month, several Diamondbacks’ officials said yesterday that the D-Backs will make every effort to re-sign Tony Clark this winter.

link

it better be a VERY LOW cost!!!
Oct: 3-4
B. O. N. D.
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatuwant wrote:
Quote:

link

...as a coach? Confused
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
whatuwant wrote:
Quote:

link

...as a coach? Confused

Yeah, right. We should be so lucky.

TC would be an excellent addition to the coaching staff. In fact, I'll be surprised if Chip Hale isn't snagged for one of the managerial vacancies over the winter. If he is, TC could easily be added.

But I doubt seriously he's worth the candle as a ballplayer...
Dre
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go against popular opinion here, I think re-signing TC is a fine idea. Ww don't know how well Tracy will respond to surgery. TC is still capable of starting on occasion and still demands respect as a PH. any 1 year deal at $1.5M or below is fine by me as long as the front office is going to commit to CoJack for 140 starts.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre wrote:
I'll go against popular opinion here, I think re-signing TC is a fine idea. Ww don't know how well Tracy will respond to surgery. TC is still capable of starting on occasion and still demands respect as a PH. any 1 year deal at $1.5M or below is fine by me as long as the front office is going to commit to CoJack for 140 starts.

But that is exactly the problem. With Clark on the roster, no way Jackson gets more than 120 starts.

And the way things have developed lately, I think Melvin feels like he has the green light to go strict righty lefty platoon...which means 2/3 clark, 1/3 Conor
Oden
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet he won't do that with the LF'er.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: