Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chances of CY repeat for Webb
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best arguments in favor of Webb over Peavy are park effects (e.g., park-adjusted ERA) and innings pitched. I hope the Cy Young voters are sophisticated enough to realize that.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatLeprechaun wrote:
The best arguments in favor of Webb over Peavy are park effects (e.g., park-adjusted ERA) and innings pitched. I hope the Cy Young voters are sophisticated enough to realize that.

Well, even if they did take those things into account, Peavy STILL has an edge on Webb

Code:
ERA+  188-177
PRC   119-111
VORP  62.4-57.5

The Gaps are not large....but they exist. Webb can overtake Peavy. It's doable. It just hasn't happened yet.
YBC-Dog
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bright side of all this for us D-Back fans, Peavy's salary jumps from $6M to $11M over the next 2 years if he wins the Cy Young award, which means we win even if Peavy gets the CY.
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passan column
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Catcher Chris Snyder stuck out his hand for a shake and instead got a slap from Webb's glove, as if Webb wanted to say that eight innings remained and the Diamondbacks had plenty of time to win.

Webby in a nutshell.
dirtygary
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never satisfied.
mwmags2002
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Nice Artice on Webb & CY Reply with quote

Link

Streak over, Webb sets his sights on second consecutive Cy Young Award

By ANDREW BAGNATO, AP Sports Writer
August 23, 2007

PHOENIX (AP) -- Now that his scoreless streak is over, Brandon Webb is setting his sights on something else: a second straight Cy Young Award.

Webb's string ended at 42 innings Wednesday night when he gave up a run in the first against Milwaukee. He went on to pitch the NL West-leading Arizona Diamondbacks to a 3-2 win.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I finished up pretty strong last year, and I feel pretty strong right now," Webb said. "I'd say it's pretty comparable."

Webb was nowhere near Cy Young contention when he dropped three straight decisions to fall to 8-8 on July 20. But the 28-year-old righty has won six straight starts -- including three complete-game shutouts -- and has helped carry the surprising young Diamondbacks.

"Since then, he's taken off and been the horse that we expect him to be," Arizona manager Bob Melvin said.

Webb's 191 2-3 innings are most in the majors. He has three shutouts, and no other National Leaguer has more than one.

Webb's 2.63 ERA is fourth in the NL, behind Chris Young's 2.12, Jake Peavy's 2.21 and Brad Penny's 2.59.

Webb has 166 strikeouts. Only Peavy, with 186, has more in the NL.
Gorfo57
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not pulling for any pitcher other than Webb to win the CY this season, but...

I wouldn't be too quick to rule Hudson out of the CY race just yet. Especially when you consider the argument that will pop up when writers start to look over the hitting numbers of division opponents.

15-5 3.07 ERA 110 Ks 42 BBs 178.2 IP

Upton everyday.
Go D-Backs!
allstar
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of today,

Jake Peavy (14-5 2.21ERA 0CG 170.2IP 186K)

Brandon Webb (14-8 2.63ERA 4CG 3SHO 191.2IP 166K)

Brad Penny (14-4 2.65ERA 0CG 173IP 121K)

If Webb continues to pitch well, which I'm sure he will, Webb has to be in favor due to the park factors and his innings pitched and complete game/shutouts.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cy Young voters don't consider park factors.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

I think they might have a little last year. But it wont outweigh Wins, ERA, Ks by much... Webb has alot of catching up to do. It doesnt really matter - these awards are pretty meaningless IMO.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are no meaningless at all my friend.

It's all about money, perception, etc.

You don't think Dontrelle stealing Webby's Cy Young in 2003 cost him some money, (and conversely saved the d backs money?)

If Webb wins back to back Cy Youngs, they have absolutely no choice but to rip up his contract and give him a new one.....or they will not have much of a chance to resign him when this one is done. Webb doesn't really care all that much, he is pretty content with his situation, but he DOES have an agent, who would be failing in his fiduciary responsibilities if he did not push very hard for a more lucrative extension.
Orlando Thill Hudson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

You don't think Dontrelle stealing Webby's ROY in 2003 cost him some money, (and conversely saved the d backs money?)

If Webb wins back to back Cy Youngs, they have absolutely no choice but to rip up his contract and give him a new one.....or they will not have much of a chance to resign him when this one is done. Webb doesn't really care all that much, he is pretty content with his situation, but he DOES have an agent, who would be failing in his fiduciary responsibilities if he did not push very hard for a more lucrative extension.

Fixed that for ya.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

You don't think Dontrelle stealing Webby's Cy Young in 2003 cost him some money, (and conversely saved the d backs money?)

I dont disagree. I just dont get excited about arguing who is the winner of an award that frankly isnt judged very fairly. It is the reason why i dont like any sport with judges.

We should be rooting for Peavy to win it. HE is the one whos contract we want to be priced out of that market.
Orlando Thill Hudson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

I dont disagree. I just dont get excited about arguing who is the winner of an award that frankly isnt judged very fairly. It is the reason why i dont like any sport with judges.

We should be rooting for Peavy to win it. HE is the one whos contract we want to be priced out of that market.

His contract is priced out regardless, IMO.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlando Thill Hudson wrote:
His contract is priced out regardless, IMO.

We dont know that. But his salary under his current contract does increase if he wins Cy Youngs.

It is good for Webb if he wins. Dont get me wrong, i would be happy for the guy - he is the kind of guy you root for. Just cant get too excited about it.
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

That would be giving their sophistication and knowledge of the game far too much credit.
- 2008 World Champions
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Well, I have to admit, I enjoy the debate for the sake of the debate sometimes. (ok...all the time...lol) But when it comes to post season awards, I heavily enter the fray on message boards and e mail campaigns to voters at the various papers, because I believe it is the perfect opportunity to get people to look at other ways of valuing performance beyond the traditional, quaint , 19th century stats. How else are we going to make these things more fair if we don't take the opportunity to educate?
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

What then...is the logic for campaigning for Webby to win what the media has essentially made to be a "beauty contest" when a "victory" ends up hurting the team?
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

What then...is the logic for campaigning for Webby to win what the media has essentially made to be a "beauty contest" when a "victory" ends up hurting the team?

Ah...I knew that was coming...

Making sure they keep Webb around beyond the term of his current deal is helping, not hurting the team. By winning another Cy, he would be forcing the issue. It's not my fault Moorad gave all that money to Eric Byrnes, making a Webb extension more difficult.
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
It's not my fault Moorad gave all that money to Eric Byrnes, making a Webb extension more difficult.

You will be asking Jeff about that today, since I'll be working and not able to attend -- yes?

And while you're at it, I think it's important to hear from Jeff directly (don't let him wiggle out of an answer) about how his taking over the EB negotiations directly affects JB's ability to perform his job at the same high level that he had been performing previously. Players and their agents now know they can go directly to Jeff if they don't like what Josh is offering, essentially neutering Josh's negotiating skill.
- 2008 World Champions
David B
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

I think the voters consider park factors in only the most basic, neandrethal terms. They see the extremes--Coors good for hitters, Petco good for pitchers. In that respect, Peavy's performance may be weighed somewhat.
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

I think he cares more than he lets on. He was interviewed by the morning guys on 620 a few months back and when they brought up the idea of a home town discount he dodged it really quickly.

Whether or not he wins the CYA this year they need to go to him at the end of the season with an extension. I have no idea how much or how long but on the open market he's worth $20M easily. Maybe you start at 5/$75 but since Zambrano just got 5/$91 it might not be enough.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think he cares more than he lets on. He was interviewed by the morning guys on 620 a few months back and when they brought up the idea of a home town discount he dodged it really quickly.

Did he DODGE the question, or DASH any hopes of giving a HTD

(HTD= Home town discount...a phrase we better get used to)
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember it was months ago! Embarassed

Either way I agree that they need to get it going quick. Don't wait to exercise the option. Yes he agreed to it but it is less than half of what he should get that year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: