Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
ESPN's "Face of the Franchise" for the D'backs is.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wedge
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: ESPN's "Face of the Franchise" for the D'backs is. Reply with quote

...according to Jerry Crasnick, is Eric Byrnes. Nick Piecoro, Jim McLennan, and Eric Young will chime in later in the week with their opinions.

Crasnick's take:
Quote:
Eric Byrnes

For eight years the face of the Arizona franchise belonged to Luis Gonzalez, a fan and media favorite and author of the most memorable moment in Diamondbacks history: the winning hit in Game 7 of the 2001 World Series. When the Diamondbacks cut "Gonzo'' loose last fall, it hit the Arizona fan base harder than the switch from black and purple uniforms to Sedona red. Pitcher Brandon Webb, the 2006 NL Cy Young Award winner, is Arizona's resident mainstay based on performance. But Webb, a low-key Kentuckian who makes his living inducing groundballs, doesn't exactly exude star appeal. Which brings us to Byrnes, who just signed a three-year, $30 million contract. He'll be around through 2010 to hit home runs, steal bases, crash into walls, sign autographs, grant media interviews and speak to the Rotary club when needed. It'll take all the energy he can muster.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/face/mlb/index

Last edited by wedge on Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAJOR props to Jim for getting featured on ESPN!!
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:

No doubt!

JIM - Now you have some major responsibility as the spokesperson for the fans, and expert on this subject. The pressure is on dude.... lol...
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:

Jim, you've hit it big-time! Now if you can only find a way to squeeze dbbp.org in your comments.... Very Happy Laughing
- 2008 World Champions
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: ESPN's "Face of the Franchise" for the D'backs Reply with quote

wedge wrote:

Crasnick's take:
Quote:
Eric Byrnes

Excuse while I go outside and barf
wedge
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really, to be honest, I was expecting them to say that Gonzo is STILL the face of the franchise somehow.
thesidewinda
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge wrote:
really, to be honest, I was expecting them to say that Gonzo is STILL the face of the franchise somehow.

Lol Laughing ..

Is it really necessary to have a "face of the franchise"?
"The Diamondbacks led the NL in victories, conventional wisdom said that they were too young, too inexperienced to go any further. There are people getting paid to say things like this, and all you can do with them is change the channel."
-Mike Bauman
whatuwant
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge wrote:

In this morning's Republic sports page they have a fans speak out section about future hall of famers in Arizona Sports.

One lady said she tried, but could only think of Luis Gonzalez when thinking about "Arizona Sports".

really pathetic
Robert S.
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesidewinda wrote:
wedge wrote:

Lol Laughing ..

Is it really necessary to have a "face of the franchise"?

For rubes? Yes.
Tucson DBacks Fan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a television commercial that runs in Tucson that I doubt many of you have seen. It has been airing all baseball season when the Diamondbacks games are broadcast here. Mr Aun, a local restaurant owner, took over a restaurant called "The Great Wall of China." Gonzo in the ad asks if he can help him out at the restaurant, and Mr Aun gives him some food platters to deliver to a table of hungry customers. Gonzo darts around to deliver the food to the table while avoiding a lot of unexpected obstacles as clown music plays in the background. After managing to get the food to the the table, Gonzo says to Mr. Aun ( whom he refers to as his dad ) "I never knew I'd make such a good Dodger." Got that folks. Luis Gonzalez is a Dodger now, and he proudly boasts about this to the television public of Tucson who are watching the Diamondbacks games. Very Happy

Last edited by Tucson DBacks Fan on Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the commercials last time I was in Tucson but I missed the Dodger part of it. Fucked up.
baldmaga
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakura?
Tucson DBacks Fan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner of Sakura bought another restaurant, and this ad features Gonzo the Dodger helping out in the new place. Formerly, as a Diamondback, Gonzo did comercials for Sakura. Perhaps your question had to do with whether I got my restaurants confused? No. Same owner, additional place. Very Happy
Ryan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love Randy Johnson, Brandon Webb is the only correct answer to ESPN's question.

Pigpen may be more marketable, but Webb has been here the longest, has the best track record, and is picking up where the Big Unit left off in making sure that the Cy Young Award continues to stay in the Valley almost every year.
dirtygary
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever. It's gonna be Upton as early as this postseason, as late as next.

Byrnes is a celebrity/marketable/personality thing. The Paris Hilton of baseball, if you will. I consider his extension like the Galaxy signing Beckham - who cares if he's dominant or not, he's free advertising. And that does count.

The only way this org loses me is if they don't keep Webb and Upton until I think they're washed up. Which should be 2015 at the earliest for Webb, 2020 at the earliest for Upton.
wedge
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan wrote:
As much as I love Randy Johnson, Brandon Webb is the only correct answer to ESPN's question.

Pigpen may be more marketable, but Webb has been here the longest, has the best track record, and is picking up where the Big Unit left off in making sure that the Cy Young Award continues to stay in the Valley almost every year.

but he's a young Kentuckian with "no star power". Definitely can't market that (Cy Youngs and other accolades be damned)!
wedge
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Piecoro picks Brandon Webb!

Quote:
Brandon Webb

Diamondbacks right-hander Brandon Webb's Kentucky drawl may sound a bit out of place in Phoenix, but his sinkerball fits right in at Chase Field. Despite pitching in one of baseball's most hitter-friendly environments, Webb was able to secure the National League Cy Young Award last season while making the All-Star team each of the past two years. His sinker has been a big reason for his success, but it isn't the only reason. Webb greatly refined his command of the pitch over the past two years, to the point where sometimes it's all he needs. Take the one-hitter he threw against St. Louis last September; of the 95 pitches he threw, 89 were sinkers. But he has also added a changeup and a curveball, giving him a pair of swing-and-miss pitches he can use with two strikes. His improved command of those pitches is evidenced by his increased strikeout totals.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Nick.

I'm glad that the team's best player is recognized as " the face"
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge wrote:
Nick Piecoro picks Brandon Webb!

Awesome! Dbacks Marketing dept. needs to take notes on Nick's take. (If the Suns can make a nice Canadian out to be their FotF, the Dbacks can certainly do likewise with a nice Kentucky guy, who's recognized among the very best in MLB)
dirtygary
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent choice, Nick. Good thing the better, homegrown player gets a vote from somebody.

Byrnes is a novelty. Moorad will be regretting this signing by the end of '08, when Byrnes is back to his fall-flounder self, and Q is providing the pop off the bench we need.
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice extended story on the Face of our Franchise HERE by Steve Gilbert.

In fact, it was almost an accident when D-backs special consultant Phil Rizzo, the father of then-scouting director Mike Rizzo, happened to see Webb pitch.

"He was there to see someone on the other team and he called me and he says 'What do you guys have on this Webb kid?'" Rizzo said.

Rizzo quickly dispatched scouts Kris Kline and then Ed Durkin to look at Webb. Finally Rizzo and national crosschecker Kendall Carter watched him in the SEC tourney. Webb pitched well in the tournament, and the D-backs snatched him in the eighth round.

"When he was maybe a junior or senior in high school, we hoped that he might get drafted," Dreama said. "Then when he played college ball, he wasn't overpowering. He was good, but he wasn't great. When it came to his junior year, a lot of scouts had contacted us and we knew he had a chance of being drafted."

In his first couple of years in the D-backs system, Webb threw mainly a four-seam fastball -- he would perfect the sinker later -- and a curve. He pitched out of the bullpen his first year and seemed destined to do it again in 2001, but once again fate provided an opportunity.

"Mike Schultz was supposed to be in the rotation and I was going to be in the bullpen," Webb said. "I didn't really want to do that [pitch in relief]. But then he got hurt, and they said Schultz wasn't going to be able to make his first start. So they put me in, and ever since then, I've started. I was just a fill-in then, but I did well, and that was it."

- 2008 World Champions
YBC-Dog
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, Brandon Webb is so much more than the face of the franchise.

IMO, he is the first real D-back. Gonzo and RJ and Schill were D-backs too, but Webb is the first homegrown superstar this team has produced, and even if Upton and Drew and Young all pan out, they'll all be A.B.W (After Brandon Webb).

Also, I think a lot of why Webb is ignored nationally has to do with his demeanor....we'll call it "Bob Melvin Syndrome", because of the way Bob is always contrasted with Lou P (even for Manager of the Year this year).

If Webb were out there shouting and angry and firey during and after the game, ala Zambrano, I think he would get more attention...but he's always so cool and composed out there, and so humble and polite after the game that sometimes it's almost boring.

He just pitched his 3rd complete game shutout on Friday and he goes in there cracking jokes about two shutouts being easy. It just seems like nothing flusters this guy, which I think is better than the firey guy who starts to crack the minute something goes wrong.

Hoepfully the marketing dept takes notice though.
dirtygary
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
To me, Brandon Webb is so much more than the face of the franchise.

IMO, he is the first real D-back.....

Yessir.

It's becoming different. Now we have players that this is the only organization they know. That's a big deal, all part of growing the tradition.

I only wish our first homegrown superstar was a position player that we could watch perform everyday.
wedge
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim picks B-Webb, too!

Quote:
Brandon Webb

My pick for the honor is Brandon Webb. Webb is among the more underrated Cy Young winners in recent years. But the main reason for my pick is that Webb is the first legitimate All-Star for the Diamondbacks to have come up through their farm system. Previous "faces" have all been purchased or traded for, and in some cases, they left the team when the going got tough. Webb, a former 8th-round pick, made his debut in 2003, then gutted it out through the lean, 111-loss season that followed, bouncing back better than ever. He finally got the recognition he deserved last year. Although Webb may no longer be the best-kept secret in baseball, he represents a future based on building from within, and he should anchor the team's pitching staff for many seasons to come.
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge wrote:
Jim picks B-Webb, too!

Quote:
Brandon Webb

My pick for the honor is Brandon Webb. Webb is among the more underrated Cy Young winners in recent years. But the main reason for my pick is that Webb is the first legitimate All-Star for the Diamondbacks to have come up through their farm system. Previous "faces" have all been purchased or traded for, and in some cases, they left the team when the going got tough. Webb, a former 8th-round pick, made his debut in 2003, then gutted it out through the lean, 111-loss season that followed, bouncing back better than ever. He finally got the recognition he deserved last year. Although Webb may no longer be the best-kept secret in baseball, he represents a future based on building from within, and he should anchor the team's pitching staff for many seasons to come.

I knew that was coming but was sworn to secrecy. Laughing

What other real option for the informed is there? He's the most accomplished Diamondback and he's homegrown. Great write-up Jim!
- 2008 World Champions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: