Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Release Kennedy while you're at it!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kim wasn’t the only recently waiver acquisition to be jettisoned on Wednesday. Left-hander Joe Kennedy, whom the club picked up one day after Kim, was also designated for assignment after he had a similarly disastrous outing against the Marlins. Kennedy allowed six runs in one-third of an inning.

Similarly, the Diamondbacks are on the hook for roughly $800,000 with Kennedy.

For now, the club recalled two relief pitchers – Dustin Nippert and Jailen Peguero – to take their spots on the roster. One of the two, most likely Peguero, is expected to be optioned to Tucson prior to Sunday’s game to make room for Petit.

Link
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for those guys.
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Kennedy was DFAed as well? That's a bit of a shocker. I'd have held onto him a bit longer. Methinks that whoever is calling the shots right now is over-reacting a bit...
David B
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted to hear about repeated knee jerk reactions from upper management, I'd go back to focussing on my job. Smile
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
If I wanted to hear about repeated knee jerk reactions from upper management, I'd go back to focussing on my job. Smile

I too would focus on David's job.

The Kennedy release is a huge over-reaction. He's a lefty, and he's arguably better and more useful than Nippert or Peguero right now. Does not compute

Seems to me someone's waging a smear campaign against the GM...
EvilJuan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
The Kennedy release is a huge over-reaction. He's a lefty, and he's arguably better and more useful than Nippert or Peguero right now. Does not compute

I'll venture to guess that you didn't actually see him pitch last night... Shocked

On the basis of that -- that is to say, having watched him pitch -- it'd take a powerful lot of "arguably" to convince me to stick with Kennedy...

Not sayin' yer wrong, Mr. Lev, sir -- just hard to believe, after having watched the debacle yesterday...

I don't want to be called into the office... Sad
Riskman96
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably should have hung onto Kennedy longer. But the fact is the bull pen wore themselves out. Tuesday & Wednesday none of the pitchers were very effective. They needed a couple of fresh arms. Cutting those two was necessary. Between the two, someone will pick up Kennedy.
Robert S.
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me down in the "Why release Kennedy?" camp.

What a mess of a month.
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
levski wrote:

I'll venture to guess that you didn't actually see him pitch last night... Shocked

On the basis of that -- that is to say, having watched him pitch -- it'd take a powerful lot of "arguably" to convince me to stick with Kennedy...

Not sayin' yer wrong, Mr. Lev, sir -- just hard to believe, after having watched the debacle yesterday...

I don't want to be called into the office... Sad

Yup, probably the person over-reacting the most was yours truly...

The Dbacks have their reasons for releasing Kennedy and Kim. If the front office and coaches feel that Kennedy would only hurt their chances down the road, I respect their opinion. After all, it's their money
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The Dbacks have their reasons for releasing Kennedy and Kim.

I'd start with they never wanted them in the first place. That has been the elephant in the room all along.
Gorfo57
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...if they never wanted them in the first place...why did they put them on the 25 man roster and play them?

They took a shot and it didn't work out.

The Eric Byrnes contract extension and the waiver claims were reaction to not putting a deal together prior to the deadline.

In Musical Chairs, when the music stops you grab a chair or you're out of the game. This was the FO line of thought at around that time.

Upton everyday.
Go D-Backs!
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmm...if they never wanted them in the first place...why did they put them on the 25 man roster and play them?

They put in the claim to block one of their division rivals from claiming him. They did not expect for all 3 to just be given up by their respective teams. Those teams could have either just pulled them back from waivers, or negotiated with the D backs for a trade. Instead, they just let them go.

Josh said you don't put in a waiver claim unless you are prepared to actually take that player. Thats true I guess, but it is also true that they didn't expect to have to take these players. They thought they would be pulled back. These were block moves that backfired, plain and simple.
YBC-Dog
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Quote:

They put in the claim to block one of their division rivals from claiming him. They did not expect for all 3 to just be given up by their respective teams. Those teams could have either just pulled them back from waivers, or negotiated with the D backs for a trade. Instead, they just let them go.

Josh said you don't put in a waiver claim unless you are prepared to actually take that player. Thats true I guess, but it is also true that they didn't expect to have to take these players. They thought they would be pulled back. These were block moves that backfired, plain and simple.

I still to this day will not understand that reasoning.

We were in 1st place at the time so all of our division rivals had the chance to grab them before us.

Can somebody explain who we were trying to keep them from going to, or how that line of reasoning works if we are in 1st place?
baldmaga
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a wrestling fan, I was sad to see Joe go, considering one of my favorite wrestlers should've shared his theme song when Joe K came into the ballgame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFGcPAl1B2k
mwmags2002
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Toronto Blue Jays purchased the contract of left-handed pitcher Joe Kennedy from Triple-A Syracuse before Sunday's game against Seattle, making him the second of five players to join the team as rosters expand for the final month of the season.

Kennedy fills the final spot on Toronto's 40-man roster.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-bluejays-moves&prov=ap&type=lgns
mwmags2002
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennedy gave up 3 runs in 2/3 of an inning for the Blue Jays on 9/2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: