Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fans speak out on attendance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admdavid
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't seen parking nightmares until you've tried to park in SD. Easily one of the worst places to park outside of NYC or Boston.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Robert S.
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
I usually attend between five to 10 games a year. The reason why I don't attend more games is that I think Chase Field is too corporate. Turn down the music, promos between innings, and instead focus on the baseball game.

- David Thomforde, Phoenix

David,

Well did you stop to think for a minute that if these "corporate" stuff helps reduce the cost of other things for the fan, IE soda, hotdog, popcorn....

cause god know in your next breath you will bitch about the cost of everything anyway...imagine if this "corporate" shit did not lower some cost

Until the Diamondbacks and MLB release some honest financial information, they don't have much ground to stand on in their attempts to cry poor. It doesn't require much to see that they expect fans to make all of the sacrifices to put them back into their definition of an acceptable level of profitability, despite plenty of ill-advised personnel and strategic decisions on their part.
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
Who pays to park in downtown Phoenix? I've probably gone to about 20 games at BOB/Chase and I've never once had to plug a meter. Phoenix easily has the most motorist friendly parking arrangement of any major city.

Exactly! Free downtown parking in Seattle has become nearly as extinct as it is in Chicago and New York. One of the things I detest about LA (besides the interminable parking lot freeway system and the Dodgers) is their parking situation.

I'm spoiled by Phoenix and expect to find free parking in any western metro area.

I never pay for parking now at Chase despite all the construction zones around the park... and I found free parking all through the 2001 World Series--I wasn't about to pay $50 that nearby lots were then charging.
David B
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I was there for the first two games of the 01 World Series and I parked for free each time. And one of the days there was even a hockey game (Coyotes/Avs) going on in the area as well.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert S. wrote:
Until the Diamondbacks and MLB release some honest financial information, they don't have much ground to stand on in their attempts to cry poor. It doesn't require much to see that they expect fans to make all of the sacrifices to put them back into their definition of an acceptable level of profitability, despite plenty of ill-advised personnel and strategic decisions on their part.

Good luck with that... Laughing

I think the Diamondbacks could increase attendance if they wanted to - but would have to take a short term hit financially to do it. I dont think they really want to fix the problem of attendance - I think they want to maximize revenue - and i dont blame them for that.

On the other hand, the market is speaking. At these prices - this is the volume of people that will come - no matter how much you plead (marketing efforts). If this is the most profitable price for this year - than so be it - but i think it is a short term gain - long term loss. Just my opinion i guess.

I dont think there is an easy answer as to why people dont come, and it is a combination of all the reasons people have listed here (Heat, Price, Team issues, Parking, Lazyness, Colors, Etc.) Many of these are just excuses - for someone who just enjoys sitting in thier room. I still think that lowering prices of some of the "staple" baseball fare (Hot dogs, Water, Popcorn) to a level where someone who cant afford to spend 4.00 on a hotdog can buy one or 2 for each memeber of his family would certainly help.

I agree that Chase has a very reasonable price structure when compared to other teams. Those other teams are not in this market.

Edit: I heard somewhere - MLB is raking in the money from TV contracts and such.

Last edited by qudjy1 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert S.
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they need to do is sack up and cut beer prices.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert S. wrote:
What they need to do is sack up and cut beer prices.

Yeah... im sure not too many would have a problem with that...

Charging 3.75 or whatever for a water burns me more though.
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy the money excuse to an extent. It is quite hard to sell kids on bringing food from home. However, it is a choice of priorities. If you are so hard up that you can't do ANYTHING then fine, money is an issue. Most people, however, go to an occasional movie or something else. You can go to the ballpark instead of the movies.

Also, nobody said you have to bring the whole family. Go with a friend. Get free parking and eat cheap. It doesn't have to be expensive.

I've only been to two games so far but I'll be seeing at least three more. I might take my daughter to a Wednesday game though.

I'm sick of the Jerry complaints. He fucked up and got fired. Get over it. Gonzo was hardly mistreated. Sure, they said they didn't want him back under any circumstances but throughout the season they bent over backwards to make him happy and honor every made up accomplishment of his (500 doubles/300 HR). Jesus, they went out and painted his number on the field in his last day.

I'm so sick of the 'tradition' crap also. Did these people revolt when the Suns added the all orange unis? Did they have shitfits when the Coyotes changed unis? Just about every major sports team has changed names or colors.

Comments about how the kids can't stay up is bullshit also. They aren't delicate flowers, they can handle staying up till 11 a few times a year.
David B
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is that the price of the baseball experience in Phoenix is less than it is at a number of other cities I've visited recently (St Louis, Boston, San Francisco, New York, Chicago and Seattle leap readily to mind). The only difference is that baseball in those cities has become part of the local culture (yes, even in Seattle) and so fans turn out even if they bitch about the same ticket prices/parking/beer prices that Valley residents do.
Robert S.
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Edit: I heard somewhere - MLB is raking in the money from TV contracts and such.

As I recall, it's been released that league-wide revenue is up to $5 billion from $3.2 billion over the last decade. They've broken their attendance record, like, three or four years running. MLB.com is a cash cow, too.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
fans turn out even if they bitch...

That is exactly my point.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the people responding there are the same ones that turn around and stare at me like I'm a lunatic if heckle an umpire or try to get a Lets Go D Backs chant going.

I actually had an old lady reprimand me on Sunday for heckling the umpire, calling me a "bad sport".

I just turned around and told her not to be so rude. If she didn't understand baseball, she shouldn't comment to other people.
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

I just turned around and told her not to be so rude. If she didn't understand baseball, she shouldn't comment to other people.

Potential DBBP project: Workshop at Chase on fan ettiquette w/ lessons on heckling players and getting on to the umpire. This would have more practical application than the Guv'ner lessons on scorekeeping.
YBC-Dog
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the Diamondbacks need to do is pack up the team and move to a city where fans are less shitty - and apparently cheap - where fans will realize how lucky they are to have their own MLB franchise...especially one with the history the Diamondbacks have.

I am so sick of the excuses I just threw up in my mouth a little.
JGDBAX
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad that we have so many fairweather fans in our state. I kind of want to point those people in our direction so they can get a real education about baseball but then I also don't want to compromise this site to fairweather fans. Confused
Aaron
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
Who pays to park in downtown Phoenix? I've probably gone to about 20 games at BOB/Chase and I've never once had to plug a meter. Phoenix easily has the most motorist friendly parking arrangement of any major city.

I was wondering if I was the only one with this experience. We ALWAYS park for free in Phoenix, and it's never hard finding a space. All it takes is a willingness to walk 1/2 a mile or less. I'll bet it's one of the easier cities to park for free in the country, really.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron wrote:
David B wrote:

I was wondering if I was the only one with this experience. We ALWAYS park for free in Phoenix, and it's never hard finding a space. All it takes is a willingness to walk 1/2 a mile or less. I'll bet it's one of the easier cities to park for free in the country, really.

Nah... get there even slightly early, and free parking is easy - although generally, you do have to walk a little... still - cost of parking alone is a pretty weak argument not to go to the games.
Hock
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually pay to park. I always pay $5, and then play the game as I walk past higher priced places..."I just earned $2 to walk a block." I usually have a beer before I go in to the game, two in the park, and depending on the plan one after the game.

My understanding is you can buy a huge burrito at Garcia's for $5. I'm pretty sure a burrito at any other Garcia's is more then $5.

Me, I'm a hot dog a beer guy. I only wish they would sell Carnation frozen malts with wood spoons again. I would totally flashback to my childhood.

I've ranted here plenty of times about how I feel the fan experience is horrible at Bob/Chase, however I'm still a season ticket holder, and still go every chance I get. I love baseball...and it's money well spent for me.

They would fill a lot more seats if they improved the fan experience...make it like a ball park. It should be fun...you're kids should have fun...they should not be getting repremanded by ushers just for being kids.
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the Garcia's burritos are actually a great price. The pizzas aren't too expensive either.
THE SHADOW
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
True, the Garcia's burritos are actually a great price. The pizzas aren't too expensive either.

They have gone up to like $7.50 but they are HUGE and one of the better values at the old ballpark.

OK here is another marketing tip for my good buddies in the front office. People complain all the time about prices. But you know what its the same as the movies. Your going to get screwed. Then why not do it like the movies. I can pay the $4.50 at the movies for a large soda in a souviner cup and then after that I get refills all year long for a $1 buck. Give me a cool DBACKS plastic cup. I pay the high price the first time. Get the free cup and get refills all season long for $1 just like at Harkins.

Damn I should start charging for this stuff! Wink
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Give me a cool DBACKS plastic cup. I pay the high price the first time. Get the free cup and get refills all season long for $1 just like at Harkins.

They'd still make some $$ on the $1 refills, and inevitably a number of fans won't remember to bring their big cup and would have to buy another.
THE SHADOW
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:
Give me a cool DBACKS plastic cup. I pay the high price the first time. Get the free cup and get refills all season long for $1 just like at Harkins.

They'd still make some $$ on the $1 refills, and inevitably a number of fans won't remember to bring their big cup and would have to buy another.

Yep I hate it when I forget my cup at home! Wink
Hock
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw the same deal for popcorn at one of the movie theaters too.

I remember dollar days at Dodger Stadium. $1 seat and $1 beer. In today's economy you could to a $5 day and it would still be fun and get people there.
Stuart
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some rooting around and random comparisons between the concession prices you have mentioned and those at soccer stadiums around the country here, and its basically very similar.

£4.50 for a cold pie thats probably a month out of date, although beer is slightly dearer there i suppose. Probbly only about $4 here for a beer, and its our beer is better anyway lol.

Just curious, how is Chase Field so far as access to the general public goes? by that i mean those who dont drive for example, or those who would rather not drive to games?
stu
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Agree that parking is easily free. No valid excuse there unless you have an infirmity.

2. The food could be better althought the burro and tacos at Garcia's are good and reasonable. The sausages at Hungry Hill used to be good, but hey went downhill a couple of years ago and I haven't ben back. The regaular hot dogs are something like $3. Smother them with relish, onions, mustard, ketchup (all free) and you have a salad bar.

3. The beer prices are fooish. Look at the good press Arte got for lowering his prices. I have friends who would buy beers, but don't just out of protest. No reason not to lower this. I would love to see the elasticity of beer prices at ball games. Arte has never lost money on anything, I can't believe he didn't check this out before he did it.

4. I don't buy souveniers, but the idea of the $6 hat is not that it is as "good" as the $19 hat. No one thought that. The idea is to give the consumer a choice and to have the kid something.

5. I think these letters show that the fault is not the stars, but in the fans themselves. It is ticket scarcity that drives the market in Phoenix. When the Dbacks came people were concerned they wouldn't have tickets so they bought season tickets. After a while it became clear that there would be plenty of tickets. Unlike SD, SF, St. Louis, Baltimore, etc, people are not going to the game for the park, the food or the atmosphere. The park is too big, too impersonal and has nothing worthwhile around it. The team is stuck with this.

6. The club never tried to develop baseball fans under JC. Having a radio announcer who had never announced a professionl game hurt. Raising ticket prices on fan appreciation day. Having the huge stadium instead of an intimate one. Putting it next to the RR tracks. Putting up a parking lot in a prime spot for commercial. Baseball fans have to be in for the long haul. You need to make the stadium experience an enjoyable one. Jerry was in for the short haul. He made his money without investing any.

7. I think the new owners have an uphill battle. I think they are doing almost as well as they can under tought circumstances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: