Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Keep Byrnes or Lose more Fans?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:

And will be far and away better than EB.

In all fairness... We dont KNOW that... seems very likely though.

True...but he seems as "can't miss" as you get. Agree?
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:

Sure - but even cant miss guys dissapoint at times...

I agree with you, but im just helping Geoff (who is in desparate need of help) state his case a little better.

I wouldnt mind EB stay on the team - just not at what he is going to get paid in FA.
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoff,

that is a copout. If you don't think EB is worth 4/40 then you can't fault the team. He can and probably will get more than that as a free agent.

I think Byrnes will be a professional about all of this. He's not like Gonzo and the situation is totally different.

FWIW, they are not paying through the nose for Randy. They are paying him 3.5 this year, 10.5 next year and 4 in both 09 and 10.
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:

Sure - but even cant miss guys dissapoint at times...

I agree with you, but im just helping Geoff (who is in desparate need of help) state his case a little better.

I wouldnt mind EB stay on the team - just not at what he is going to get paid in FA.

Okay, how bout this, for the sake of the argument. Even if Upton dissapoints...i still think it will be atlesat EB good for the cost difference.
geeeeeeoff
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Why do you think he is worth committing 36M to, when Upton is about a year (or 2 at the most) from being in AZ - for 360K a year?

that's all these players are to you guys is just a number thats messed up and thats not how it used to be. thare are guys that are the face of the franchise and eb has become that guy. when you think dbacks you don't think webby you don't think rj you think eb. baseball is more than just taking advantage of small salaries. and besides no eb implies that you want quentin to be an everyday outfielder. remember davanon is gone after this year too. you gotta have 9 guys out there!!!!
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - but...

At some point, you have to pay for guys who are better than average, even though they can be replaced by cheap average production. Pujols is worth whatever he wants, and even if you have Loney on the bench - you still want pujols if you catch my drift...

EB isnt the guy that fits this example IMO.
geeeeeeoff
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
FWIW, they are not paying through the nose for Randy. They are paying him 3.5 this year, 10.5 next year and 4 in both 09 and 10.

thats about 25 which is what i said - 3 years of eb plus we were already paying defered salaries.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeeeeeoff wrote:
matt wrote:

thats about 25 which is what i said - 3 years of eb plus we were already paying defered salaries.

Well, thats really closer to 20M for randy (as ny is paying some of that IIRC), and 20M is just about dead on to 2 years of EB.

The difference is replacement players. AZ can replace a LFer - but was really loooking for a dominant pitcher. Shame it doesnt look like it will work out - but AZ isnt the only one going through that (Jason Schmidt)
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeeeeeoff wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:
Why do you think he is worth committing 36M to, when Upton is about a year (or 2 at the most) from being in AZ - for 360K a year?

that's all these players are to you guys is just a number thats messed up and thats not how it used to be. thare are guys that are the face of the franchise and eb has become that guy. when you think dbacks you don't think webby you don't think rj you think eb. baseball is more than just taking advantage of small salaries. and besides no eb implies that you want quentin to be an everyday outfielder. remember davanon is gone after this year too. you gotta have 9 guys out there!!!!

when EB is the face of your franchise, sanity and reason is the team's ass
geeeeeeoff
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
geeeeeeoff wrote:
matt wrote:

Well, thats really closer to 20M for randy (as ny is paying some of that IIRC), and 20M is just about dead on to 2 years of EB.

The difference is replacement players. AZ can replace a LFer - but was really loooking for a dominant pitcher. Shame it doesnt look like it will work out - but AZ isnt the only one going through that (Jason Schmidt)

i understand and i shouldn't have brought rj into it but i just think that the f.o. is scared of commitment and in my opinion baseball is like life you gotta swing the bat before you can get a hit. you gotta give a little before you can get anything...ya know.
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoff, it's obvious you have very little knowledge and/or understanding on how to evaluate EB's true value, as a player in an abstract sense, and as a player in AZ, for the next 5 years. don't go apoplectic over things you don't understand...

he's been living underground
eating from a can
he's been running away
from things he can't understan
geeeeeeoff
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
when EB is the face of your franchise, sanity and reason is the team's ass

it is what it is you just dont see it through the same set of eyes that most fans do.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeeeeeoff wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

I think of sedona red... Laughing

Hairston, Young, Quentin, Salazar with Upton, Cargo on the way

Tracy Drew, Reynolds, Jackson (or Hudson) - Callaspo, Ojeda, Clark (coaching), carter

Snyder, Montero.
geeeeeeoff
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
geoff, it's obvious you have very little knowledge and/or understanding on how to evaluate EB's true value, as a player in an abstract sense, and as a player in AZ, for the next 5 years. don't go apoplectic over things you don't understand...

eating from a can
he's been running away

its obvious you don't like him but you know the same could have been said about gonzo in 98 you know?? hey i gotta go i got a tee time just so y'all dont think i'm dodgin ya i'll get back on tonight.
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeeeeeoff wrote:
levski wrote:

eating from a can
he's been running away

its obvious you don't like him but you know the same could have been said about gonzo in 98 you know?? hey i gotta go i got a tee time just so y'all dont think i'm dodgin ya i'll get back on tonight.

not really. gonzo from 99 to 2004 cost us a fraction of what byrnes demands from 2007 to 2012
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff, you are a new member of this forum, and yet you still deem it acceptable to call some of the long term members of this forum idiots. And F You is just as offensive as Fuck You. (Unless we are to believe the F stands for French Kiss)

You are free to your opinions, and free to express them, but it is the spate of posts like this where people feel the need to personalize every debate that has me less and less interested in participating in this site.

If you have an intelligent, reasoned argument for why you think Eric Byrnes is worth 4 years 40 million or 5 years 50 million or whatever, then make the argument.

But as levski said, you expose your lack of understanding and ability to appraise market value with each and every post, and then you proceed to cuss others out and call them idiots.

Thats not welcome here.

Really, WE ALL need to stop personalizing our arguments. I totally sick of it. Why does every debate where people have different opinions have to get so damn personal.

This has got to stop guys. This site pretty much sucks lately....every thread turns into a fight. I have been a part of it, and it's why i keep taking timeouts from the board.

But if this keeps up, I really will be out of here for good.

All I can do is make a personal pledge. No more derogatory remarks about other posters. Argue against ideas you don't agree with. Stop arguing against the PERSON, and your perceived notions of their background, character, or whatever.
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
geeeeeeoff wrote:
levski wrote:

eating from a can
he's been running away

not really. gonzo from 99 to 2004 cost us a fraction of what byrnes demands from 2007 to 2012

That's a good freakin point, levski. Gonzo was 31 when he came here. He had always put up about 110 OPS+. He goes out and gets 142 and signs a four year deal of $16.5M. During that contract, he averages 135 OPS+ and signs for 3/30. Total is 7/46.5 plus the buyout.

Byrnes, is 31 now and hasn't had two back to back 100 OPS+ seasons sine 03/04. He's only a 120 OPS+ guy right now.

EB sees himself as equal to Matthews, Pierre, and Drew and should get teh same money. The thing he's missing is that aside from Drew, they were all terrible contracts. I wonder why he isn't including these guys as his comps:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/catalfr01.shtml - 3/13M
http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/delluda01.shtml - 3/11.5
http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/paytoja01.shtml - 2/9.5
http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/roberda07.shtml - 3/18

Is he better than these guys? Sure, but not by that much. After looking through last year's FA deals, I don't think he's worth more than 3/18.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeeeeeoff wrote:

that's all these players are to you guys is just a number thats messed up and thats not how it used to be.

It's not necessarily numbers but a percentage of available resources. For instance, going into next year if we still have ODog, my guess is we'll have about 12MM or so to fill in any holes on the roster <and this is assuming Byrnes is gone>.

If we give 8MM next year to Byrnes <a conservative estimate>, that leaves 4MM to fill holes. To me it makes more sense next year to go with Upton or Hairston in Byrnes place and spend the 12MM on other needs <like a starting pitcher>.

I'd like to say that I'm a Byrnes fan <yes he's won me over this year> but I would rather he went and got his 5/50 from the Giants than 5/40 from us.
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Burns on post game says that Josh Byrnes has stated that he "will not trade Eric Byrnes this season." No surprise there... if they could, it would've been done before.
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
Dave Burns on post game says that Josh Byrnes has stated that he "will not trade Eric Byrnes this season." No surprise there... if they could, it would've been done before.

teams looking for outfielders in trades this year must be very weary of eric byrnes's 2nd half collapses. his time in colorado and baltimore really must have scared off a few contenders. not that he's the same player now, but he's so notoriously bad in the second half, you really can't blame teams for not wanting to give up tons of talent for him.

the dbacks must evaluate the benefit of the two high draft picks in 2008 vs. the benefit that some fringe player in the evan maclane mold could bring to the franchise. granted, byrnes should fetch more than maclane, but we're not going to get a true ace prospect for him. with a couple of high picks in 08, the team could draft a couple of ace-quality prospects...
DesertKnight
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I might just throw out a reminder of something I think we all know that's relevant to the Byrnes discussions--This team is trying to pay down a lot of outstanding debt from the Colangelo years. Kendrick has said that payroll will increase in a couple of years once that debt is paid down, and then there will be money to bring in above-average or exceptional players at higher salaries. But this is a business, and Kendrick is trying to get the team on a good long-term financial footing. Overpaying for Byrnes just because he's "the face of the franchise" would push back the ability of this team to get in a financial position to seriously compete. It sucks that money is such a defining factor, but that's what happens in a capitalist society. Byrnes isn't worth (IMHO) what he's asking, and even if he was, we still couldn't afford to pay it.
YBC-Dog
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to know is this: When does this "face of the franchise" stuff gets put up for a vote, and how do I get representation? Or is there a strange system of women distributing swords from lakes that is used to determine the "face of a franchise".

Byrnes has only been here 2 years...shouldn't he have to work his way up from "fan favorite" for 3 or 4 years before getting to qualify as the face?

Geoff should say it like it is and just say that Eric Byrnes is HIS favorite player right now.

A lot of D-back fans would agree with him. One of my friends who is a die-hard hippie, is also a big EB fan. His reasoning? Byrnes has the Grateful Dead as his intro music. How can you argue with logic like that (especially after said friend gave you a couple brownies)?

I also know a lot of girls like his hair, and others are enamored with his "hustle".

Still, saying a 2 year stop-gap is the face of the franchise is silly...why not make O-Dawg the face...hey, Double D will be here for 3 years, does that qualify him as face material?

Seriously though, Josh Byrnes did the right thing here, glad everyone out here realizes it.

We just finally this year got out from under a lot of dead weight contracts, I would've banged my head against a wall had we added EB in after the experience with Gonzo, Shawn Green, and all the other big contracts that ended up being albatrosses on this team.
wedge
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the face of a franchise, in this case I think, was decided upon in part by the marketing department, the fact that Byrnes has his nose in pretty much anything right now (his own show, his segment on TWIB, the all star game, etc.) and the fact he's "flashy" and plays "like his hair is on fire" in the outfield. (Remember when batshit crazy Mondesi came over from the Yankees? The fans loved him). I think that sort of leads to an infectious style that has led Byrnes to earning that title. Secondly, I don't think there's anyone that can unseat that outside from Hudson right now, and again that's because he's a "flashy" type of guy. Guys like Drew and Young won't earn that title yet until they either play to their potential or develop that "flash"/

In no way am I condoning that "flash" is something other players need to possess.
JGDBAX
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, according to mil4u.com http://www.mlb4u.com/profile.php?id=166

I wonder how they came upon the information that he has asked the DBacks for 5 years $45 mill?
Riskman96
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big Eric Byrnes fan. I think his aggresive offensive style is good for the team. Some of the others are a little to laid back. However, he is not worth $8 mil plus. Not for this team. As has been said, it makes more sense to use some of the other talanted players we have. Short of an injury, I don't see anyone offerin enough to warrent a trade. Although you never know right before the deadline. Teams do get desperate enough to rent a player for three months.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: