Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hall Chat 2/8
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TSWINDERS
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Hall Chat 2/8 Reply with quote

I have a few questions submitted.
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, too... I'm "goaheadrun". And I just made assface and biggereunuch my bitches. As did others. Laughing

Sorry to bring up the Unmentionables. Embarassed

Last edited by B. O. N. D. on Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chatmod:
11:14 am Topic: Diamondbacks baseball

chatmod:
11:53 am Thank you for participating in today's chat. Please keep submitting your questions.

chatmod:
12:17 pm Thank you for participating in today's chat. Please keep submitting your questions.

chatmod:
12:45 pm Thank you for participating in today's chat. Please keep submitting your questions.

dbacksguest:
12:58 pm Starting a few minutes early today. Thank you for joining me and for sending questions. I will try to get to as many as possible within the half hour.

azphanxx:
12:58 pm Congrats on the new duties. What do you see as the biggest challenge facing the team? What is the team's primary Mission Statement?

dbacksguest:
1:00 pm We obviously want to bring a consistent winner to the field year after year for the fans. That is actually a part of our mission statement as well. Each year we must contribute positively to our community and provide a competitive team for the fans. I have focused on five key areas through what I call our Circle of Success: team performance, community, financial efficiency, culture and fan experience

scout01:
1:01 pm What is a typical day like for you during the offseason?

dbacksguest:
1:02 pm We are all swamped as we prepare for the upcoming season. It depends where the areas of focus lie on any given day, be it on customer service training and evaluation, stadium refreshing, team marketing and campaigns, ticket pricing, sales, community outreach, ownership interaction, board interaction, etc. I try to juggle and balance my time so that I spend enough with fans and boards that I serve as well.

redsndbackphan19:
1:02 pm DDerek, Why hasnt the team addressed the bullpen this off-season?

dbacksguest:
1:05 pm With starting pitchers that are traditionally innings eaters, we like the way our bullpen has shaped up. We have a talented staff with Valverde, Lyon, Medders, Slaten, Julio, Cruz - not to mention whoever doesn't make the rotation out of Gonzalez, Gonzalez, Eveland, Owings and Nippert. We actually had the sixth best ERA in the league last season.

jennrose:
1:05 pm Hi, Do you know if Mel Stottlemyre will be participating in Spring Training this year?

dbacksguest:
1:05 pm You bet! We are thrilled to have him around. We can't wait to have him work with Bryan Price and all of the pitchers on the staff.

jennrose:
1:06 pm Hi, How was Fantasy Camp this year - did you get a chance to interact with a lot of fans?

dbacksguest:
1:08 pm Year two was a huge success - and the first time our new uniforms were worn. I enjoyed my time I spent in Tucson with the campers. Our staff really had a blast teaching and joking with the players. We had guys like Mike Fedders, Mark Grace, Matt Williams, Matt Mantei, Greg Colbrunn, Chip Hale, Jack Howell and Bill Plummer woring with the guys. It is a week of big leage treatment.

doplgangr:
1:08 pm Hi Derrick -- looking forward to a great year for the DBacks! Just wondering if you could address rumors about a 50% drop in the fanbase. Can this be true?

dbacksguest:
1:10 pm Actually, our renewals are between 80 and 90% for season tickets which is normal, yet above last year's total. We are doing well in the sales category, but could do better in my opinion. I think there is still a "wait and see" attitude out there which I completely understand. We have not had much of an identity over the past few seasons. I think our fans will be able to latch on to these young and talented kids. We need to come out of the gates strong, then we will see an increase. It is a great time for fa

BradL:
1:11 pm Mr. Hall, how does some someone go about getting to a position like yours? How can I get your job?

dbacksguest:
1:12 pm I received my Masters in Sports Administration with the hope of spending a career in professional baseball. I encourage everyone to chase his/her dreams and if sports is where you want to be, go for it. A little luck and hard work definitely help.

LeslieC:
1:13 pm You mention community in your Circle of Success, in what ways are you involved in the community?

dbacksguest:
1:14 pm Personally and as a company. We encourage our management team to be involved in local organizations. I serve on several boards, as do most in our organization. As for the team, we contribute close to $2 million annually to the community. We also build 3-4 fields each year as part of our "Diamonds Back" field building program and give worthy charities large donations through our Grand Slam awards and program grants.

DHallRules:
1:15 pm Did the Diamondbacks look at signing Randy Johnson as an answer to the Giants signing Barry Zito?

dbacksguest:
1:16 pm we traded for Randy Johnson because we feel like he can help imrpove this ballclub. Interesting that you should bring up Zito, because we acquired Doug Davis in the off-season through a trade with Milwaukee, and his numbers are almost identical to Zito's over the last three seasons.

tswinders:
1:16 pm Which players will be at fan fest?

dbacksguest:
1:18 pm We hope to have 15-20 players at Fan Fest this seaosn. We have a lot planned with them including autograph and Q&A sessions. We are taking the majority of the event outside this year, so that we can utilize all of the space around the ballpark for live music, entertainment and whiffle ball fields. It will be a fun-filled day. It is scheduled for Saturday, February 24 from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM. All info is on-line.

tswinders:
1:18 pm Our catching looks thin, is there any plan to sign another backup catcher? I do not think Montero is ready yet. Tom

dbacksguest:
1:20 pm Our baseball staff is confident that Montero is ready. He showed great signs at the end of last season and the pitching staff really liked his tools. We are real pleased with the progress and leadership displayed by Chris Snyder. He is a true pitcher's catcher and brings a veteran mentality behind the plate. With him back there, and Hudson, Drew and Young up the middle, we are much better defensively.

doplgangr:
1:21 pm Derrick, I wasn't so sure about the new colors, but they're really started to grow on me and now I'm very happy with them. Have you noticed that people are starting to come around on the new color scheme?

dbacksguest:
1:22 pm Great to hear that! Thank you for sharing. We have found this to be the case with most. Even our fantasy campers, who are die-hard fans like yourselves, had issues with them until they put them on and saw them in-person. I am real happy with the response.

tswinders:
1:22 pm What kind of promotions are we going have this year?

dbacksguest:
1:24 pm We have five bobbleheads planned for this season, along with four Todd McFarlane figurines. These are amazing and extremely lif-like, but for kids only. These are a collector's dream. We have increased our giveaway numbers to the first 35,000 and are focusing on most Saturdays. We will try to have at least one substantial giveaway per Saturday. Sundays will be kids giveaways for items such as replica jersey shirts. Don't forget Opening Day, when we plan to give every fan a new Sedona Red t-shirt and a colle

goaheadrun:
1:25 pm Hi Derrick. Let me start out by saying I am very excited by the direction this franchise is taking. I also dig th Sedona Red. Please settle an argumet I'm having with some naysayers: did the AZ FO do any sort of fan poll/survey regarding the color change

dbacksguest:
1:25 pm Yes we did - I hope you won. We had several season ticket holders in for some focus groups and had Matt Williams model the uniforms each time. Thanks for the positive feedback.

redsndbackphan19:
1:26 pm Is there any new food stand additions this year?

dbacksguest:
1:28 pm We are excited about some of the new food options. For example, we are doing away with a few older stands on the Club Level and replacing them with a gourmet burger stand, a Mexican food stand, a cheesesteak stand and a comfort food stand. We will continue offering affordable choices throughout, such as our $1.50 kids menu which includes hot dog, corn dog, popcorn, soad or milk, and our 14 oz. $4 beer. We will continue to offer our Kids Eat Free promotion for Wednesday home games.

azjazzyj:
1:28 pm Which of the 4 new jerseys is selling the best?

dbacksguest:
1:29 pm They are all selling well. It is amazing how split fans are on the four. My favorite was the white, followed by the red. I have now come to really like the black. I will always like the grey because Arizona is represented on the road.

azjazzyj:
1:31 pm Is room still available for the March 3 game and bus trip to Tucson for Season Ticket Holders?

dbacksguest:
1:31 pm We are actually at capacity right now but you can call the Season Ticket Services number (602-514-4444) and they can add you to the wait list.

goorange:
1:32 pm Derrick, how important was it to the organization to have Randy Johnson finish his career as a Diamondback

dbacksguest:
1:32 pm Most importantly was the thought that he can still help us win. However, it will certainly be nice to have him finish here and hopefully get to 300 wins for the fans to see before becoming the first Diamondback in the Hall of Fame.

goaheadrun:
1:33 pm Ar there new sprin training unis as well? I'll be in Tucson.

dbacksguest:
1:33 pm Yes there are. For the most part, they will wear the batting practive uniforms, which they do each spring. That is a Sedona Red jersey and a black cap with the red "D."

rereit:
1:34 pm The new colors look great -- the website is fantastic, in fact -- how has general fan response been at events like the recent Hometown Tour?

dbacksguest:
1:35 pm We experienced our largest crowds yet and had a great turnout in every city. Fans seem to really like the colors. At each stop, fans showed in in the new colors and thanked us for the change. Our players were great at all of the visits and book readings. This is a great group of guys we have.

rereit:
1:35 pm Of all the young players on the team, who should we be keeping our eyes on this year?

dbacksguest:
1:36 pm I am so excited, I can't isolate just one. I naturally hope they all perform to their abilities - that includes Chirs Young, Carlos Quentin, Stephen Drew, Conor Jackson, Orlando Hudson, Chad Tracy, Brandon Webb, Doug Davis, etc. This should be a fun season.

LeslieC:
1:37 pm Thanks for the info about your community involvement - I googled your name and an online auction site came up - Lunch With A Leader - that starts tomorrow - what exactly is that?

dbacksguest:
1:37 pm I agreed to help out a school program by volunteering myself for lunch with a guest through an auction. I feel sorry for the winner of that one!

dbacksguest:
1:39 pm Time is up. Thank you again to all of you. I look forward to next month's. We are announcing our 6-Pack deal today, which includes six premium games for $222 in the lower level. They will go on sale on-line at dbacks.com this Monday. Single game tickets go on sale February 24 during Fan Fest and suites and groups can be purchased now. Have a great day!

Last edited by B. O. N. D. on Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
Me, too... I'm "goaheadrun". And I just made assface and biggereunuch my bitches. Laughing

lol...
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
Me, too... I'm "goaheadrun". And I just made assface and biggereunuch my bitches. As did others. Laughing

LMAO. Funniest chat yet! Laughing

Hank, keep picking against my teams, please!!
TSWINDERS
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
B. O. N. D. wrote:

LMAO. Funniest chat yet! Laughing

And the answers have Phann on the defensive. I am glad Hall was able to shed the light to all of Phann's lies.
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azphanxx's and biggerunit1's record today:

1. Loss of 50% fanbase? FALSE

In fact, they're having the biggest fan turn-outs ever on the Hometown Tours. Season tix renewals are at 80-90%, better than last year.

2. Fans hate the new colors? FALSE

Maybe some were skeptical, but once they see them, they like them, and thanked the FO for changing them! And they're showing up in the new colors to the tours.

3. The FO changed the colors without consulting fans?FALSE

Sorry. Market and fan research was done. With Matt Williams modelling them. Shocked

4. The new colors aren't selling. FALSE

All makes and models are selling quite well, thank you.

Too bad he didn't get to my questions about the Diamondbacks' "rep" and people like Jay Bell, etc. continued involvement.

I'd like to think azphanxx and biggerunit1 will shut up now, but I can't see it happening. We all know that Hall is just a part of the Combine, making crap up to feed us pleebs. Rolling Eyes

I'll shut-up now. Cool

Last edited by B. O. N. D. on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
I'd like to think azphanxx and biggerunit1 will shut up now, but I can't see it happening. We all know that Hall is just a part of the Combine, making crap up to feed us pleebs. Rolling Eyes

Don't confuse me with the facts! My mind is already made up!

Mr. Green
doplgangr
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: i can see clearly now... Reply with quote

great chat, great chat... glad mr. hall could clarify a few things i've been wondering about. though for some reason a couple of the others on the mlb dbacks board still don't seem convinced... Wink
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: i can see clearly now... Reply with quote

doplgangr wrote:
though for some reason a couple of the others on the mlb dbacks board still don't seem convinced... Wink

You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd

nor can you reason with an Internet troll

Hank, keep picking against my teams, please!!
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know gang...I really think that feeding and discussing trolls cheapens this board.

Just my opinion.
XB3
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dbacksguest:
1:36 pm I am so excited, I can't isolate just one. I naturally hope they all perform to their abilities - that includes Chirs Young, Carlos Quentin, Stephen Drew, Conor Jackson, Orlando Hudson, Chad Tracy, Brandon Webb, Doug Davis, etc. This should be a fun season.

Interesting that Eric Byrnes, aka Mr. Excitement, didn't pop to the top of his list.
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foulpole wrote:
I don't know gang...I really think that feeding and discussing trolls cheapens this board.

Just my opinion.

That's just because you didn't kick any troll ass today. Laughing
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
foulpole wrote:

Just my opinion.

Of course FP is right, but damn that was funny BOND, made me LOL
dbackfanron
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really hard for me to comprehend that azphraud actually believes the crap he posts. I tell myself not to respond, but he's like a bad rash on my ass that I have to keep scratching.
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
B. O. N. D. wrote:
foulpole wrote:

Just my opinion.

Of course FP is right, but damn that was funny BOND, made me LOL

I know, I know... the point was made. I'll drop it. 'Twas a good day, though, for the good guys. Wink
csktech
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys. Im gonna dispute one point. He was asked if a fan survey was done, His answer was they had season ticket holders in for a study group... Sorry but that doesnt quite count as a poll. The audiance size is not statictcally large enough for meaningfull data..

Kyle
Who still loves the purple...

But Ya'll knew that already Very Happy
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actrually they had SEVERAL focus GroupS, i.e. plural......

But I agree., this does not constitute a "poll"

Really, they were at the bottom of the league in sales, so they didn't need much of a fan poll to tell them that whatever they put out there would sell better than what they had. The fans had already voted in the only poll that matters....the stuff wasn't selling.
whatuwant
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

Really, they were at the bottom of the league in sales, so they didn't need much of a fan poll to tell them that whatever they put out there would sell better than what they had. The fans had already voted in the only poll that matters....the stuff wasn't selling.

Don't get me wrong here, i prefer the new colors...but i am not sure if there was much of a financial motivation here. As i understood it, MLB merchandise profits are shared...so AZ gets a cut of every yankee hat sold...(my source is not official, so i could be wrong here)
I guess they were aiming at the trickle down effect. More popular stuff, more popular team, more tickets sold...
csktech
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbackfanron wrote:
It's really hard for me to comprehend that azphraud actually believes the crap he posts. I tell myself not to respond, but he's like a bad rash on my ass that I have to keep scratching.

Actually I don't believe that He believes it.. I have a very strong idea who Phan is. I think he just gets a kick from being an asshole. PM Me if you want to know who I think it is, I won't post it here. I will not start that kind of post.

Kyle
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job BOND

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/172/bondownedcu8.png
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Matt!!! Laughing
Dre
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
chatmod:
11:14 am Topic: Diamondbacks baseball

goaheadrun:
1:33 pm Ar there new sprin training unis as well? I'll be in Tucson.

dbacksguest:
1:33 pm Yes there are. For the most part, they will wear the batting practive uniforms, which they do each spring. That is a Sedona Red jersey and a black cap with the red "D."

I'm pretty excited to see this new hat... I already have the black with the red A logo but this is the hat combo I really had my hopes on.
diamondbacker
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it at stores like Just Sports at the Chandler Mall, but it should be in any sports store that stocks D-backs merchandise
Go Penguins
Go Suns
Prosopis
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatuwant wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Don't get me wrong here, i prefer the new colors...but i am not sure if there was much of a financial motivation here. As i understood it, MLB merchandise profits are shared...so AZ gets a cut of every yankee hat sold...(my source is not official, so i could be wrong here)
I guess they were aiming at the trickle down effect. More popular stuff, more popular team, more tickets sold...

I think you are wrong here. It is the NFL that shares profits. This is why the Yankees can afford what they do and others cant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: