Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dodger Lineup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Dodger Lineup Reply with quote

Quote:
DODGERS REPORT
Furcal, Pierre lead things off
By Steve Henson, Times Staff Writer
February 7, 2007

Grady Little spent the winter playing with his two grandsons and toying with the Dodgers lineup.

When the kids took turns hitting Little's underhanded tosses, it didn't matter who went first. The Dodgers manager feels the same way about Rafael Furcal and Juan Pierre.

One will bat leadoff, the other second.

Little has abandoned an idea he floated during the winter meetings of Furcal batting third, with Pierre leading off and catcher Russell Martin batting second. The reason: He wants veteran outfielder Luis Gonzalez to bat in the No. 5 spot behind Nomar Garciaparra and Jeff Kent.

"When we signed Luis, it changed my thinking," Little said during a lull in the Dodgers' publicity caravan Tuesday at Pasadena City College.

Gonzalez primarily batted third for the Arizona Diamondbacks and last season hit 15 home runs and a career-high 52 doubles.

"I can't see Furcal and Pierre doing anything but batting one-two," Little said. "Which way we go, I can't say right now."

I think he will end up going with Pierre leadoff, figuring he can get more pop out of Furcal, and a better chance to drive Pierre in.

Using Pecota projections, very interesting to look at the Dodgers
Code:
Pos  Player  EQA     VORP     WARP     OPS
CF   Pierre  .252    11.9     3.6     .708
SS   Furcal  .278    30.2     6.3     .755
1b   Nomar   .275    18.1     2.6     .807
2b   Kent    .285    28.2     4.2     .857
Lf   Gonzalez.270    12.9     2.8     .795
Rf   Ethier   278    18.3     3.1     .818
C    Martin  .265    18.8     5.0     .762
3b   Betemit .259    12.1     2.4     .762
Total                150.5     30

BTW, Kemp, Loney, and Laroche all look better than Gonzo, Nomar, and Betemit

Kemp, .286 EQA, 38.2 Vorp, 5.4 WARP .852 OPS
Loney .278 EQA, 23.0 Vorp, 3.7 WARP, .821 OPS
Laroche .285 EQA 32.5 VORP 5.0 WARP, .846 OPS

FYI, The D backs total VORP for projected Starting 9 is 191.8 and total WARP is for starting 9 is 35.7, but those are counting stats, and Byrnes is listed as a centerfielder.....his VORP and WARP will end up alot lower as a left fielder.

And the Kemp, Loney, Laroche projections are far better than Hairston, Montero and Callaspo, (the three most likely guys to take playing time from d backs starters at this point)

The best thing that can happen to the D backs is for the Dodger Outfield to stay healthy and Betemit to keep his BA up around .270 something Wink
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I wish they didn't have Kent and Nomar.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both in decline and high injury risks. Sure, if they both play 145 games and revert to their levels of a few years ago they are formidable. The odds of both of them doing that are extremely remote.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but that fricking Nomar played in a 120 games last year and still had 90 rbi's. Kent played in 115 and 70?? Both had more than Gonz and Tracy, I think.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many games would a team with zero WARP win?
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think like 30 or 40 or something like that.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
Yeah, but that fricking Nomar played in a 120 games last year and still had 90 rbi's. Kent played in 115 and 70?? Both had more than Gonz and Tracy, I think.

Based on percentage of RBI opportunities, Nomar had a very good percentage, in fact he ranked 11th in "OBI %", or Other Batters knocked in, (The percentage of baserunners on base that he drove in)...Kent on the other hand was not exceptional last year, ranking 83rd.

It also should be noted that there will most likely be fewer RBI opportunties for Nomar next year, as Pierre has replaced Lofton, who's OBP iwas about 30 points higher than Pierres the last couple of years.

And Kent batted behind Drew, who was an OBP machine, and he certainly will have fewer RBI chances compared to last year.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

really? zero WARP gets you 40 wins, but the 2004 dbacks only won 11 more games? wow, that really was a bad bad team... Shocked
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine how bad our record would have been without RJ. We might have gotten picks #1 & #2.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCray wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

really? zero WARP gets you 40 wins, but the 2004 dbacks only won 11 more games? wow, that really was a bad bad team... Shocked

Well...remember the R is for replacement......and by mid season 2004, most of the players on the team were more or less relpacement level players. (or performing as such)

I am not sure of the exact number.....between 30-40 was a guess. One of the criticisims of WARP from some quarters is that the replacement level is set too low, but I don't think anyone outside BP really knows exactly what that level is.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More about the dodgers Linup on CNNSI

Southern Californians don't all set out to be different. Sometimes, it just ends up that way.

And so it goes with the Los Angeles Dodgers, who against their fondest desires will again try to generate a winning offense via the baseball equivalent of windmills and solar power.

The 2006 Dodgers were alternative energy mavericks. Despite finishing 15th out of 16 National League teams in home runs, Los Angeles outscored its opponents by a greater margin than every other NL squad except the New York Mets.

Then, with every intention of boosting their home-run power, the Dodgers instead lost co-leader J.D. Drew (20 homers) to free agency, replacing him in the batting order with 39-year-old Luis Gonzalez, who hit 15 out of the park in 2006.

With Los Angeles' other major offseason offensive acquisition being the fleet-of-foot, free-of-muscle Juan Pierre (1,007 career games, 12 home runs), wags have wondered whether the deadball era will make an untimely return to Dodger Stadium. Can the Dodgers repeat their above-average offense, or are they tilting at windmills?

The news, both good and bad for Los Angeles, is how easily the Dodgers' offensive success last year can be explained. The team piled up runs because it topped the NL in two really nice categories to top in: on-base percentage and batting average with runners in scoring position. Lacking the hammer, the Dodgers performed admirably with their chisel.

As far as doing it again in 2007 goes, as much as the lineup has changed, the end result may remain the same.

On the upside, two Dodgers who emerged as starters last year were rookies -- Russell Martin and Andre Ethier. Odds are in their favor that their production will improve with more playing time. The presence of former Phillies catcher Mike Lieberthal as a backup should allow Martin to stay fresher. Ethier was unconscious at the plate for most of the summer before blacking out in September, dampening his first-year stats enough so that they won't be impossible to match, sophomore jinxes notwithstanding.

Third base, where mid-2006 acquisition Wilson Betemit and prospect Andy LaRoche have formed exploratory committees with their respective parties, is another area where the Dodgers can be optimistic -- last year, the team watched Cesar Izturis run cold water on the hot corner for weeks on end. And 29-year-old shortstop Rafael Furcal, who recovered from a slow start to become the Dodgers' offensive leader, is in his peak years.

On the downside, however, is the team's right side of the infield, where Nomar Garciaparra (33-years-old) and Jeff Kent (39 in March), will venture farther into the decline of their careers. That's not at all to say they won't have value -- Kent, in particular, remained one of the top offensive second basemen in baseball (.862 OPS, .297 equivalent average, according to Baseball Prospectus) despite hitting his fewest homers (14) in 10 years -- just that when it comes to matching 2006 performance, it won't get any easier.

It's in the outfield where the Dodgers may find their downfall. While Ethier remains promising, the Dodgers have taken a step backward by replacing a Kenny Lofton-led platoon in center field with Pierre, a lesser talent even when you factor in his speed and durability. Pierre had a .255 EQA last season, trailing 2006 Dodgers center fielders Lofton (.278), Jason Repko (.261) and Matt Kemp (.260). And as hinted at before, Gonzalez (.271) is a retreat from Drew (.306), though Gonzalez did make 74 more plate appearances than Drew last season.

In the end, the Dodgers' season might come down to whether Matt Kemp can hit the breaking ball. He blasted seven homers in his first 15 career games before pitchers began crossing him up. He is perhaps the one player in the entire organization that might resemble a conventional power source. Should Gonzalez or even Ethier falter (Pierre has been soldered into the lineup after signing a five-year, $45 million deal), Kemp or 21-year-old James Loney, who EQAed .299 in 111 plate appearances, could become blessings in very thin disguise.

With all the variables at play over the course of a 162-game campaign, the wind is not blowing strongly enough to indicate whether the Dodger offense will improve or decline. But essentially, it is shaping up that the team will have to survive with a similar offense to last year's, one dependent tenuously on age, youth and difficult-to-replicate clutch hitting.

That, in a sense, leads to perhaps the best news of all for Los Angeles: The Dodgers should have more depth on the pitching staff this year. Not only do free agents Jason Schmidt and Randy Wolf provide compensation for the departure of Greg Maddux, but while at one point the Dodgers were dependent on Brett Tomko and then Mark Hendrickson in their rotation, those two are likely bullpen-bound to allow up-and-coming Chad Billingsley or Hong-Chih Kuo to ascend. (Scott Elbert is another prospect on the rise, roughly at the point where Billingsley was last season.)

The Dodgers also have more resources to trade pitching for power, though you'll get wide ranges of opinion on whether they should. Kind of like the way you see Hummers and Priuses on the road, side-by-side. Efficiently or not, the Dodgers will be in the thick of the NL West traffic, fighting to get through
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many of the 15 HR Gonzo hit last year were hit at home, or in other hitter-friendly parks?

How many is he likely to hit in 81 games in the friendly confines of Chavez Ravine?

Twisted Evil
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonzo hit 8 at home. On the road: Wrigley, Coors, Miller (2), Phillies (2) and RFK.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=gonzalu01&year=2006]link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: