Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The DH rule
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Major League Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you feel about the DH Rule
Hate the DH
79%
 79%  [ 23 ]
Love the DH
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Don't care either way
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 29

Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfair to whom? Both teams play by the same rules.
csktech
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:

To the other players that are required to play both offence and defense and dont get to ignore one part of the game because they suck at it.

We can always swap over to the NFL style of the game. Have offensive and defensive teams.. Ok Im getting silly. I'm pretty sure neither of us will change our minds.

Kyle
Go Dbacks
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it would be unfair to Micah Owings if he didn't get his chance to swing. Razz
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csktech wrote:
Dylan wrote:

To the other players that are required to play both offence and defense and dont get to ignore one part of the game because they suck at it.

We can always swap over to the NFL style of the game. Have offensive and defensive teams.. Ok Im getting silly. I'm pretty sure neither of us will change our minds.

Kyle
Go Dbacks

So why don't you hate closers? Pinch hitters?
csktech
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:
csktech wrote:
Dylan wrote:

Kyle
Go Dbacks

So why don't you hate closers? Pinch hitters?

Nope because there is a cost to use them. You have to pull one o fthe starters in order to use either one of them.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. I had enough of the fighting over on the other board. Anything I say your going to counter and vise versa. Lets let others chime in on the debate.

Kyle

BIG PS Dylan please don't take anything i've said personally. I respect your stand. We have differing opinions on this one issue.

Last edited by csktech on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
Ok, some pros...

1) I don't have a problem with "specialization." I mean, I don't see you bemoaning left handed one out relievers.

Let me jump in here and say that, as far as I'm concerned, the LOOGY is a waste of roster space.
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
David B wrote:
Ok, some pros...

1) I don't have a problem with "specialization." I mean, I don't see you bemoaning left handed one out relievers.

Let me jump in here and say that, as far as I'm concerned, the LOOGY is a waste of roster space.

The way the LOOGY has been used certainly is... but I do remember the years that Michael Myers literally meant DEATH to the Dbacks whenever the Rockies brought him in to face the likes of Gonzo and Fins -- it was game, set, match over for us.... Too bad we got him on our side soon after.

Hank, keep picking against my teams, please!!
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csktech wrote:

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. I had enough of the fighting over on the other board. Anything I say your going to counter and vise versea. Lets let others chime in on the debate.

I don't see this as a contentious "fight" issue... but point-counter-point discussions have value.

As I indicated earlier, I don't "hate" the DH ... while a few years ago I would have auto-responded to this issue with more venom. However, this discussion has taken place a number of times in this forum (and its previous incarnations) with Dylan making a number of excellent logical points... that caused me to consider alternative ways of viewing the DH.

I no longer see this as a real hard core dividing issue--no real need to unify the rule across MLB.

csktech
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
csktech wrote:

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. I had enough of the fighting over on the other board. Anything I say your going to counter and vise versea. Lets let others chime in on the debate.

I don't see this as a contentious "fight" issue... but point-counter-point discussions have value.

As I indicated earlier, I don't "hate" the DH ... while a few years ago I would have auto-responded to this issue with more venom. However, this discussion has taken place a number of times in this forum (and its previous incarnations) with Dylan making a number of excellent logical points... that caused me to consider alternative ways of viewing the DH.

I no longer see this as a real hard core dividing issue--no real need to unify the rule across MLB.

Oh Yea.... But I was losing the argument. LOL hard to argue when your half loopy from pain killers. Your right Dylan made some fine points and I'll give him credit for that. But I didnt see any overwhelming reason to change my mind and I'm sure he would say the same thing about my posts.

On the third hand, since neither of us are in a postion to change MLB policy its kinda pissing into the wind, or more poetically, Tilting at windmills.

Kyle
Go Dbacks
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
its kinda pissing into the wind, or more poetically, Tilting at windmills.

he...he....thats about all we do around here. Rolling Eyes
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dh blows. but viva la difference. If i want to watch beer softball, I'll watch a Yankee game.
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
the dh blows. but viva la difference. If i want to watch beer softball, I'll watch a Yankee game.

"Beer league softball" comes from the run environment which makes BBs more valuable and SBs less valuable. The Run environment has fluctuated in the DH era greatly.

You're off the mark with your blame of the DH, look elsewhere.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

al=beer softball...which is fine, nothing wrong with it, but it is what is, there's a bazillon variables on run differentials between the leagues, but to say, the two leagues generally aren't managed and played differently is well is like saying the sb is overrated. Laughing
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
I don't think it's that big of a deal

same here

Like to think im a trend setter
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer Softball League=NL games in pre-humidor Coors Field. Nothing involving a DH was ever this bad.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
Beer Softball League=NL games in pre-humidor Coors Field. Nothing involving a DH was ever this bad.

Just imagine prehumidor coors WITH a DH.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:

Like I said viva la difference, but the main point is, in general, the two leagues are fundamentally different. Has nothing to do with the humidor, and everything to do with the dh. Wasn't it Mark McGwire, who said the NL is more pure. Laughing No truer words have ever been spoken.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coors Field is, without exaggeration, the greatest hitter's park in the history of Major League Baseball. The high altitude means batted balls face less wind resistance, the low air pressure reduces the break on curveballs and sliders, the low fences boost home run totals, the scant foul territory gives hitters plenty of second/third/fourth/etc. chances, and the spacious outfield means plenty of room for doubles and triples. In the late 90s and early aughts, this was like beer-league softball played in a Gravitron. In other words, it was something other than baseball.

To put life on Planet Coors into better perspective, let's take a look at how the park has influenced the scoring of runs since it came online prior to the 1995 season:

1995, increased run scoring by 28 percent
1996, 29%
1997, 23%
1998, 19%
1999, 29%
2000, 31%
2001, 22%
2002, 21%
2003, 12%
2004, 20%
2005. 13%
2006, 7%

As you can see, the use of the humidor has dampened (pun: lame, intended) the "Coors Effect" to a degree in recent seasons, but it's still very much an offensive environment. Historically, it's a run-scoring cauldron like none other.
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

As you can see, the use of the humidor has dampened (pun: lame, intended) the "Coors Effect" to a degree in recent seasons, but it's still very much an offensive environment. Historically, it's a run-scoring cauldron like none other.

So... after Coors watered down NL pitching fully in 1995, they switched to Coors Light in recent seasons to lessen its effects.

TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
So... after Coors watered down NL pitching fully in 1995...

...adding a DH to Coors would only serve to further dilute pitching to
ncdbackfan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

little late here, but i hate the DH. that's why i love the NL.
Counsell
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would note that the current vote is 1 person for the DH and 22 against. That's very significant, when you consider that the vote was on THIS board, which generally has very sophisticated baseball fans.
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, not quite so significant, when you realize the vote was on a board for a NL team. I think you'd get a bit different result on an AL team board.
Counsell
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get real. It's 22 to 1, not 16 to 7.

I'm a former A.L. fan for many years (Twins). My guess is that you'd get at least 30 to 40% (and maybe a lot more) voting against the D.H., not 4.4%.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it depends on a few things. obviously, as david b mentioned, whether you're a fan of the NL or AL. i grew up an AL fan, but always sorta liked NL style baseball. but i'm also a bit of a boston fan, and i don't want to see david ortiz wear a glove --- ever. he's just too amazing with the bat, and he takes the game to a different level. and as much as i hate the MFY, it is amazing to watch giambi DH. or watching hafner.

i prefer NL style baseball to AL. and i am against the DH. but there are a few very rare DHs who i'm fine with. watching them play in the field would just sully it in a weird way.

so i think on an AL board the vote would be somewhat dependent on what caliber of DH they have. AL teams with an ass-tastic DH might very well have more NL supporters. teams with a really stellar DH would be totally against NL style ball, i'd wager.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Major League Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: