Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Post subject: Lovullo as manager
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:13 pm 

Let me first say I am brand new to the forum and wish I had joined sooner.
My question is about Torey Lovullo. Obviously, he and the staff, have done a great job. He seems to relate to the players extremely well, they seem to like playing for him and the clubhouse seems to be in great shape.
The only problem I have is with some of his strategic moves. I am a weekend season ticket holder and watch regularly on TV. Quite a few times I have said to my wife as we watch, "Why in the world did he do that?"
A perfect example was game 3 of the NLDS. I was shocked when I saw Grienke return to the mound in the 6th. Yes, he is the unquestoned ace, but he pitched very poorly that night. I was there and watched as he struggled through every inning.
Descalso's HR in the fifth had changed everything. Momentum was on the D-Backs' side and the stadium was alive again. Two pitches later it all ended. DeLa Rosa was ready to come in and as poorly as Grienke had pitcged I thought surely the change would be made.
As I said, overall he has done a great job, but I'm wondering if I am alone in my thinking about his decisions.

Post subject: Re: Lovullo as manager
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:16 pm 

Welcome Sid

I think you are pretty much right , he's a good manager but some of the ways he handled starters throughout the year seemed questionable. Just seemed to stick with them sometimes in situations that seemed extremely obvious that a hook was required.

He also got credit for some very long shot moves that paid off. Those will even out.

But still, the good moves clearly outweighed the bad, and nobody is perfect. Also, it WAS his first FULL year, so I think he will get better.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:56 pm 

Shoewizard, I think you are right. I'm certainly not calling for his ouster. And, I definetly give him a pass as a first year manager.
The team is certainly headed in the right direction.
It's funny, I am actually a New York Mets fan, born and raised in Manhattan before they eveb existed. I still follw them very closely. Each year, at the end of the season, the New York Daily News runs a feature they call "Keep 'em or Dump 'em" where you can vote on every player, coach, manager and even management including the owners. I tried to mentally do the same thing with the D-Backs and really didn't find many where I would say "Dump 'em." A few key additions over the winter could have them easily competing with the Dodgers for the Division.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:52 pm 

sid316 wrote:
Let me first say I am brand new to the forum and wish I had joined sooner.
My question is about Torey Lovullo. Obviously, he and the staff, have done a great job. He seems to relate to the players extremely well, they seem to like playing for him and the clubhouse seems to be in great shape.
The only problem I have is with some of his strategic moves. I am a weekend season ticket holder and watch regularly on TV. Quite a few times I have said to my wife as we watch, "Why in the world did he do that?"
A perfect example was game 3 of the NLDS. I was shocked when I saw Grienke return to the mound in the 6th. Yes, he is the unquestoned ace, but he pitched very poorly that night. I was there and watched as he struggled through every inning.
Descalso's HR in the fifth had changed everything. Momentum was on the D-Backs' side and the stadium was alive again. Two pitches later it all ended. DeLa Rosa was ready to come in and as poorly as Grienke had pitcged I thought surely the change would be made.
As I said, overall he has done a great job, but I'm wondering if I am alone in my thinking about his decisions.

Welcome Sid!

Kinda like Shoewizard said who is pretty much the "wizard" of all things Dbacks, He made some moves with his starters that made me want to pull what little hair I have out! He also seemed to be late with Rodney as well, when bad Rodney showed up it was obvious right out but it seemed he was late with getting guys up in general. He also though was very good at picking bench players and filling them matchups that I wouldn't have done and got very good results. This season I thought was going to begin a rebuild and doing with a rookie manager who would grow into the role. The second part happened as expected but never would I have expected 93 wins. I was thinking of 67-72. Then on top of that I would have expected along with I'm sure many others that for sure Tomas would have had to duplicate his 30 homers, he didn't (8 hr's) was injured and missed the last 2/3rd's and really wasn't good when he was playing. I would have also expected Shelby Miller to have had an excellent comeback season and he didn't only made 4 starts. Delgado missed the 2nd half, Owings missed the 2nd half, Ahmed missed the final 3 months, AJP missed 2 months but yet somehow we won 93. Yes JD had a big role but this team was at least 10 games above .500 from the middle of May all the way through. He deserves a ton of credit as much as I was frustrated with him at times (which I made very demonstrative about) he done a great job.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:27 pm 

We moved here in June of '11 and got to watch as D-Backs ran away with the West. I hoped it was the start of something big, but we all know what happened.
Now, there is another chance. Should be some interesting moves this Winter. The infield is crowded, will they go bacl to three catchers, can they move Tomas as well as some other questions?
Since I have only been on this board for a few days I was wondering if it is usually bury, or quiet? Hopefully there will be some interesting conversation this off season.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:35 pm 

sid316 wrote:
Since I have only been on this board for a few days I was wondering if it is usually bury, or quiet? Hopefully there will be some interesting conversation this off season.

Welcome aboard! We used to be pretty busy, and this board (in one form or other) has been around since 2005. It is pretty much us longtime members now, and with the offseason it will be pretty slow. Don't leave, we need fresh blood :lol: But seriously, don't get scared off because it is slow in January. It will pick up during the Winter Meetings and if we land someone or soandso signed the top free agent this morning.

Have you tried www.azsnakepit.com ? Really good site, but the posting format takes some getting used to. I would recommend mostly reading the stories, personally.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:49 pm 

Yeah, not a much D Backs stuff going on these few days of course. Everyone taking a breather.

It will pick up when the off season officially starts.

In the meantime, I'd suggest reading through some of the Team News Threads, starting with this one

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:59 pm 

Thanks for the tip on azsnakepit. Very interesting. Really liked the individual ratings. Probably even more realistic than the New York Daily News' Keep 'em or Dump 'em.
I will try to be a good contributing member and know that things will be slow until the off season really heats up.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:39 pm 

Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo joins Rockies manager Bud Black and Dave Roberts of the Dodgers as a finalist for the NL Manager of the Year award.

Lovullo could become the Diamondbacks third manager to receive the honor. Bob Melvin won in 2007 and Kirk Gibson took home the award in 2011.

The NL Manager of the Year award will be announced Tuesday, November 14.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1304232/ ... ager-year/

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:48 pm 

Quote:
Lovullo could become the Diamondbacks third manager to receive the honor. Bob Melvin won in 2007 and Kirk Gibson took home the award in 2011.

I see a trend here

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:08 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Quote:

I see a trend here

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ARI/2008.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ARI/2012.shtml

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:42 am 

TAP wrote:
shoewizard wrote:
Quote:

I see a trend here

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ARI/2008.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ARI/2012.shtml

Not the trend we want to see in 2018... :(

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:22 pm 

In his first season as @Dbacks skipper, Torey Lovullo is your 2017 @officialBBWAA NL Manager of the Year!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 pm 

24 game improvement and a playoff spot on a relatively small budget. Well deserved.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:51 pm 

Great first year.

Congratulations to him.

Hope this award is not the kiss of death as it has been the previous 2 times.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:08 pm 

Congrats Torey!

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News