Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports

Page 125 of 126 [ 2512 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126  Next

Post subject: Re: UofA/ASU pooping thread
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:01 pm 

dirtygary wrote:
Relieving the institutions of the burden of the antiquated notion of “amateurism” would be a more effective path. It is fundamentally wrong to keep the labor in poverty while everybody else is getting rich. And the ncaa’s justification that they can’t pay the players because then they wouldn’t be free will never hold up to labor laws. The NCAA is going down before any of the universities. I don’t give a shit if the players get some $$ to help family with bills or to drive a Range Rover. If they’re going to class, they’re students. Students have jobs they get paid for. This isn’t an issue if they don’t hold the athletes to more stringent rules than their classmates.

This is pervasive throughout college sports, it isn’t going away with sanctions, just like it didn’t before.

If the pro leagues would step up like MLB and have a minor league system, these kids could do what they really want to do. Play sports in order to turn pro. I think we're just talking about football and basketball. I don't think paying the "student athletes" will work to solve the problem. The guys that are taking the money for the most part have no interest in going to class. Their only goal is to play pro basketball or football. I don't have a problem with paying the athletes (ALL college athletes) a monthly allowance so they can afford to go to a movie or McDonalds once in a while. The crooked ones could care less about classes or the colleges they attend.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:20 pm 

There's little doubt the federal complaint against Book Richardson could have potentially seismic implications for the Arizona Wildcats. Here's one look at them:

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:57 am 

It really sucks for the fans how a few bad apples can maim or kill an otherwise good program. It happened to Minnesota back in the 90's under Clem Haskins. They're just now getting good again. I don't know if Rick Pitino was ever on the up and up, but he's out now due to the current investigation. Hope his son (MN's current head coach) is a better person than he is.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:10 pm 

Im going to lunch at EEGEES and Mr. X is buying! ;)

A PAYERS PROGRAM! :lol:

Romar takes over interim and Pastner gets going next year on the rebuild after probation.

At least that's the rumors down here in Tucson.

Plausible deniability was the plan until the Nike stuff came out.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:55 pm 

read the last line I dont owe anything the game hasnt been finailized ;)

misterx wrote:
The Shadow wrote:
When Miller goes off to Duke to replace coach K remember this.

when coach K retires I bet Chris Collins or Steve Wojciechowski fromer dukies get the job

Collins just took Northwestern to there 1st tourney ever

The Shadow wrote:
Az football never recovered from Smith leaving why cant I dream about the same happening for hoops?

Where would Az hoops be if Floyd had been hired. Scary thought isnt it. ;)

Gary you sound more and more like the wife every day. :lol:

When is that first Indiana game scheduled?

I will bet a lunch if it ever happens both Millers will not be coaching against each other!

dont have a date yet just supposed to be in 2019-2020 season at McKale 2020-2021 at IU and
2021-2022 in Madison Square Garden in NYC

if it gets finalized I'll take that bet

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:23 pm 

now we have this what a clusterfuck of a week

Arizona safety Scottie Young arrested for domestic violence

and I didnt even mention Rawle Alkins breaking his foot

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:33 am 

Bear Down

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:21 pm 

Arizona wins 45-42

Khalil Tate will finish with 327 rushing yards, the most in a single game for an FBS quarterback … ever

and he started the game on the bench Dawkins got hurt so he came in

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:31 pm 

ESPN Stats & Info @ESPNStatsInfo
33m
Khalil Tate is the first FBS QB to record at least 200 rush yards in consecutive games since Chris McCoy for Navy in 1997

Tate is going to save RichRod's job

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:17 am 

asu beat UW so are both Graham & RichRod going to be back next year?

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:24 am 

Let's all take a moment to thank that CU Buff's defender that hit Dawkins late and forced RichRod to insert the backup QB.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:06 pm 

I was amazed that with the exciting QB at the helm (Tate), and playing a team from LA, there were so many empty seats at the game. I see Heisman potential in a year or two if he stays healthy, although it's tough for any player in the PAC (not at USC or Stanford) to get serious consideration.

Nice win by the Sun Devils, but I still see alot of shortcomings, especially with the talent on offense. I get the sense that the offensive scheme does not get the most out of the talent. Do they even have a tight end? I also get the feeling that the offensive scheme is not conducive to developing good line play, especially when it comes to pass protection What do I know?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:47 am 

dbackfanron wrote:
I was amazed that with the exciting QB at the helm (Tate), and playing a team from LA, there were so many empty seats at the game.

Final attendance provided showed ASU drew about 51.2k playing #5 UW and UA had 48.4k playing unranked UCLA. The stands at UA looked sparse before the game because it was a 6pm kickoff.

The UA attendance challenges are a result of two things: low expectations/apathy for the home team *AND* an awful home conference schedule. Probably the worst home conference schedule that I can remember, with only a single "brand name" school (UCLA) that would typically draw big,,, and a trio of "who cares" teams visiting in Utah/Wazzu/Oregon State. Whereas the league gave ASU a home schedule with USC/Oregon/UW/UofA, which should all be sellouts. The disparity in popularity of opponents for attendance couldn't be wider.

I remember back in the '80's when ASU regularly packed the old SunDevilStadium with 72k+ and exceeded UofA's attendance by 20k almost every game. But then it started to slip in the 90's, as UofA won more conference games than any other Pac10 team during the decade and ASU became caught in the most saturated sports market in America. Since then, the differences in attendance have been marginal and both teams are "right-sizing" their stadiums with lower capacities.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:31 am 

Back in the '80's when the only competition was the Suns. I remember those days fondly.

I expected the stands to be full in Tucson on Saturday if for no reason than to watch Tate. ASU really has nothing much to get really excited about at this point. I still see a 6-6 team at best. UofA very possibly 8-4. I guess it's possible for ASU to go 8-4 since they play UofA at home and USC a week after they play @ ND. but I'm not holding my breath.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:57 am 

Damn whatever the cats are paying Deandre Ayton he's worth it!

Good thing the Suns are tanking early this year as he would be the best player on their roster right now!

The question now with the universities getting subpoenas will plausible deniability work?

Will the cats self imposed penalty of suspending Miller for a few meaningless games work?

Will Ayton ever see the NCAA Tourney during his one year in Tucson?

Lots of questions but no one in Tucson media is asking and no one from the uofa is talking!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:32 am 

my guess is nothing happens this year because investigations take time but next year who knows

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:12 pm 

if both Arizona pull of upsets next week they will be tied for 1st in the south :shock:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:53 am 

Yes FBI has told uofa and NCAA to quit their investigations until they are done with theirs.

The cloud hanging over the program will be here awhile.

Just have a beer or cocktail at the games to help you forget. :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:13 pm 

Still kind of shocked by the football streaks, really didn't see either one coming. Maybe this Tate kid is for real.

The basketball thing... In these times, with the news cycles being what they are, I'm not sure how much the investigation is going to be a factor in 6 months.

Very relieved prohibition is finally over at sports events. I'm also hoping the AD decides to find a way to give the people some room in the seats/rows at McKale. The renovation looks nice, but it isn't as comfortable as it used to be.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:09 pm 

unless sc blows a huge lead next week it will be Arizona v sc for 1st in the south

Tate might win his FOURTH straight Pac12 player of the week

Page 125 of 126 [ 2512 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126  Next

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports