Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NLCS 10/11 COL @ AZ LETS GET THIS PARTY STARTED!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> GameDay Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad Stern canceled his planned trip to the Suns game the day following his ruling against the Suns. Had he not changed his plans, THAT appearance and fan reaction would have given Phoenix a permanent black eye.
- 2008 World Champions
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris24Young wrote:
And I will admit I threw a bottle. I wasn't drunk, either. But I'm not going to lose sleep over someone calling me or the fan base(Not like fan base as a whole deserves it, but will get it labeled) classless. Finally we're not known as a joke, I'm cool with that..show some fire.

Really? I would have expected it from anybody but you. Surprised
- 2008 World Champions
THE SHADOW
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris24Young wrote:
And I will admit I threw a bottle. I wasn't drunk, either. But I'm not going to lose sleep over someone calling me or the fan base(Not like fan base as a whole deserves it, but will get it labeled) classless. Finally we're not known as a joke, I'm cool with that..show some fire.

Then you sir should have been cuffed and taken away. Plain and simple.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris24Young wrote:

You are young, and stupid.

You DON"T throw shit on the field dumbass. It's just that simple.

I don't want anything to do with you.
Chris24Young
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Chris24Young wrote:

Ok.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris24Young wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:
Chris24Young wrote:

Ok.

He's right, you know. I scream and heckle with the best of them, but under absolutely no circumstances whatsoever do you ever throw something onto the field or run onto the field. Never. Ever.
- 2008 World Champions
Chris24Young
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Chris24Young wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:
Chris24Young wrote:

Ok.

He's right, you know. I scream and heckle with the best of them, but under absolutely no circumstances whatsoever do you ever throw something onto the field or run onto the field. Never. Ever.
I know he's right. I got caught in the heat of the moment. I can promise you I did not intent to hurt anyone by throwing it on the field, in fact, players like Taveras and Holliday were already close to the infield after being called in, no one was out there, non of the security guys were in left center at that time.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
I am so glad Stern canceled his planned trip to the Suns game the day following his ruling against the Suns. Had he not changed his plans, THAT appearance and fan reaction would have given Phoenix a permanent black eye.

Oh come on Tap it would have been priceless. If nothing else he should have been suspended. See my new sig.
Edit

Last edited by swishin13 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
YBC-Dog
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was filled to the brim with rage tonight and boo'd and yelled for 2 more innings, but never throw anything or do anything that could hurt someone...if only because it would be bad enough being pissed about something on the field and then getting hit in the back of the head with a water bottle.
swishin13
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris24Young wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:
Chris24Young wrote:

Ok.

I hate to say this, but out of anyone here, I'm not surprised you would be the one to do that. Throwing stuff on the field isn't really my style, giving the outfielders an earful, and booing calls like that is more appropriate. Ask yourself what does it prove? Especially considering the call was right. I hate the call but it was justified. There are other ways to get fired up, like using the towel they provided you.

You didn't commit some terrible crime but you shouldn't be stooping to that level.
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our own bullpen guys were looking up and running for cover.
- 2008 World Champions
swishin13
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Our own bullpen guys were looking up and running for cover.

So did Valverde start walking once he hit the infield?? Laughing Laughing
Chris24Young
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swishin13 wrote:
Chris24Young wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:
Chris24Young wrote:

Ok.

I hate to say this, but out of anyone here, I'm not surprised you would be the one to do that. Throwing stuff on the field isn't really my style, giving the outfielders an earful, and booing calls like that is more appropriate. Ask yourself what does it prove? Especially considering the call was right. I hate the call but it was justified. There are other ways to get fired up, like using the towel they provided you.

You didn't commit some terrible crime but you shouldn't be stooping to that level.

1. I heckle to a whole 'nother level. If you read some of my posts, they go along those lines. "F--- you so and so" <--In tonight's case, Holliday.

2. Again, heat of the moment, call it bullshit, but I'm being honest, especially when the people around you have heard you shit talking all night, then hand you a bottle and all chant throw it..but w/e..it was dumb.

3. Towel provides zero noise. As soon as I got that thing, I stuffed it in my cup holder. I clap, yell and in tonight's case, threw (oops)
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Quote:
The annoying thing was that the Rockies weren't great. They weren't even very good. They were just good enough to beat the Dbacks.

No extra base hits for COL. That tells you the whole story. Except that Webb couldn't find the strikezone to save his life tonight.

On offense, we had chances, but we pissed every single one of them. Drew left millions on base, and 3 double plays killed us.

Anyway you slice it, we sucked. Here's hoping they can scratch a run or few tomorrow, otherwise there won't be more playoff baseball in AZ.

Levski. Step into my office.

"Except that Webb couldn't find the strikezone to save his life tonight."

Putting up 4 0s out of 6 innings is no indication that there's any truth to this statement of yours.

Time and time again this season we have all seen what Snyder puts down for Webb to throw once he gets Helton and Hawpe into a 2 strike count. Over 80% of the time its a sinker low and away. In the 2nd inning tonight with 2 strikes on Todd Helton, they tried a back foot curveball and it missed. You're argument ends after that pitch.

Snyder went back to the low and away sinker and Helton stuck his bat out, expecting it and dumped it to right field for a lead-off single. Why does Melvin, Price, and Snyder continue to call for Webb to throw this same pitch in a 2 strike count to Helton and Hawpe? When you consider 9 parts of the strike zone combined with Webb's 3 pitches, you're sticking to one option out of 27, the low and away sinker in a 2 strike count and its progressed beyond just being predictable.

I can not agree with your assessment of Webb tonight. The pitch calling early on tonight was absolutely braindead and it allowed Helton to get into Webb's head. Webb has to start attacking Helton and Hawpe in 2 strike counts and this bullshit of trying to "err on the side of caution" by Bob Melvin has to end where it pertains to what Webb throws to Colo LH hitters in a 2 strike count. Bob instructed his catcher to call a gutless game from behind the plate. Helton and Hawpe are going to wait that low and away shit out with 2 strikes until they can walk to first or chunk it the other way for hits. Try something else! Keep them guessing by calling one of the other 26 options until these ABs end.

levski, on everything else you are spot on, but not on Webb tonight. You are dismissed.

Upton everyday.
Go D-Backs!
Ozzy
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, what a sad game. All of our offense came in our first three at bats of the game, then nada. Usually a few of the hits off of Webb are BS hits, but tonight everything was. Helton swings 3 feet off the plate, single. Slow ground ball gets between SS and 3rd. Infield hits, bloops over the infield, weak groundballs, and 4 runs Evil or Very Mad . Webb lost control at times, but seemed to get back on track after giving up the runs. I thought he'd go out in the 7th since his spot was coming up and he had 90some pitches, but nope.

Snyder in the 6 hole is killing me. He's been cold for a while now and has hit into a double play in pretty much every opportunity lately.

As for the trash, there was no excuse for that. Our fans get enough crap from the media and other fanbases, so now we do something inarguably stupid. The first couple pieces were expected, then some other people caught on and decided they needed to embarass the rest of the state as well. Bet they were glad to see the call was legit when they got home Rolling Eyes
swishin13
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. Again, heat of the moment, call it bullshit, but I'm being honest, especially when the people around you have heard you shit talking all night, then hand you a bottle and all chant throw it..but w/e..it was dumb.

I believe you man, that's why more than everyone did it. Didn't mean to make it sound like I was ripping you. Although we could have wound up forfeiting the game if it got too out of hand. Not that it mattered of course. Wink Shocked [/b]
TSWINDERS
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was something. I was pelted by I think a Miller Lite Bottle that was mostly full and now have a welt on my forearm and a nasty cut to go with it. I didn't see the play at 2nd I was focusing on 1st to see if Ojeda would be doubled off and out of the corner of my eye I seen Matsui go down and thought well we broke it up then Vanover called interference and then the boos began. I just got home and got my first look at the slide and Vanover got it right.

Very ashamed at what took place.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Nick's article: Link

Quote:
Rule 7.09 (e)
If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter-runner because of the action of his teammate. In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of such action by a runner.

View from the press box

Nobody in the Diamondbacks' clubhouse seemed willing to concede that Justin Upton's slide wasn't within the rules. Maybe after they see the replays, and see Upton use his forearm to take out Kaz Matsui, they'll change their minds. Umpire Larry Vanover got this one right.

I agree.

Quote:

Jeers

Throwing objects onto the field - especially after it appears the umpires made the right call - was just embarrassing behavior to see from some Diamondbacks fans.

Again, I agree. And I am terribly disappointed and embarrassed that a member of this community was involved in that.

Last edited by shoewizard on Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris24Young
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSWINDERS wrote:
That was something. I was pelted by I think a Miller Lite Bottle that was mostly full and now have a welt on my forearm and a nasty cut to go with it. I didn't see the play at 2nd I was focusing on 1st to see if Ojeda would be doubled off and out of the corner of my eye I seen Matsui go down and thought well we broke it up then Vanover called interference and then the boos began. I just got home and got my first look at the slide and Vanover got it right.

Wasn't me, I can assure you. I actually had a good enough arm to throw 12 rows on to the field. Stupid by me, I guess I can regret it now after the fact. But I like the fire out of the fans, that was something I did not expect.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSWINDERS wrote:
That was something. I was pelted by I think a Miller Lite Bottle that was mostly full and now have a welt on my forearm and a nasty cut to go with it.

But it's okay that the bottle was thrown and hit you. It was just heat of the moment.

Not.
- 2008 World Champions
Ryan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the game and sat through a bunch of SportsCenter before it finally rolled back around to the NLCS highlights and "the play."

I admit I've only read the most recent couple of pages in this thread, but here are my thoughts from being at Chase tonight:

-The first inning was awesome. Webb gets COL 1-2-3, then we score a run. So far so good.

-After that, though, it was not. Francis wasn't dominating, but the thing I took note of from my seat right on the LF line in front of the D-Backs bullpen were the first-pitch strikes. He was consistently getting strike one, putting him in the driver's seat for the rest of the at-bat. He allowed baserunners and had jams but always seemed to get out of them. It reminded me a lot of Livo's Game 3 start against the Cubs (though obviously not to that extreme).

-Webb's line was not good, but he didn't seem to pitch that poorly. Almost none of the hits he allowed were solid hits: Matsui dumped in a bloop, Holliday had the infield hit on the chalk, Helton fought off a good 2-strike pitch and dropped in an opposite field bloop hit, etc.

-Meanwhile, our offense did piss away a number of chances with double plays, but we had a lot of well-struck balls to the warning track that got run down. It just seemed like luck wasn't on our side tonight.

-The Upton play in the 7th: it looked clean at first glance, and even on ESPN replay I didn't think it was blatant. I did read your post and I respectfully disagree wtih you Shoe. It was in the "gray area," I admit, but in the playoffs I think the umps should let the players play. It was not a dirty play, and is it Justin's fault he's like 6'4" and 220lbs? But regardless, that was the ballgame right there, if it wasn't over already.

-The response from the fans was just plain classless. I honestly felt embarrassed to be in the stadium. It was not the right thing to do under any circumstance, but particularly in front of a national audience. The garbage-hurlers tonight were no better than the asshole Cubs fan shining the neon light at Valverde from behind home plate during Game 1 last series. The sad thing is some of the morons throwing crap were right near me. I wanted to leave. BTW Chris24Young, why am I not surprised that you were among the neanderthals? My father once gave me a simple but important piece of advice that I use every day. I'll pass it along to you, free of charge: think before you act. Seriously dude.

-Quick cool story on an otherwise not good night: I was right in front of the AZ bullpen, so I was watching Byrnes warm up with either Montuzas or a reliever before each inning. Before the top of the 9th, Valverde played catch with him. Byrnes' first throw bounced. JV threw it back. Byrnes' next throw airmailed Valverde and hit the outfield wall about 10 feet to Valverde's left (note: he also choked a throw back to the infield after -- I think -- Matsui's RBI single to make it 2-1). Just as I was thinking, "WTF are we paying this guy $10m for?" I turned my attention back to the field, and I see a ball flipped up into the air out of the corner of my eye. Valverde just flipped it up -- nobody was begging him for it -- and it came right to me! So yay to Jose, I am a fan for life...though he'd already won me over because before the game started he was down the LF line signing a LOT of autographs for kids -- far more than anyone else.

Apologies for the long post. Better luck tomorrow boys. Go D-Backs!

Last edited by Ryan on Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
swishin13
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are still on the fans topic, I have to ask anyone see a Pats fan along the baselines throwing pizza?? Laughing
Chris24Young
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
TSWINDERS wrote:
That was something. I was pelted by I think a Miller Lite Bottle that was mostly full and now have a welt on my forearm and a nasty cut to go with it.

But it's okay that the bottle was thrown and hit you. It was just heat of the moment.

Not.
Rolling Eyes

I didn't hit anyone. No one was anywhere near it and as if that one bottle made such a difference.
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris24Young wrote:
TSWINDERS wrote:

Wasn't me, I can assure you. I actually had a good enough arm to throw 12 rows on to the field. Stupid by me, I guess I can regret it now after the fact. But I like the fire out of the fans, that was something I did not expect.

I knew it wasn't you, I remember you saying you were close to Holliday and I was close to Hawpe.
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan wrote:
-Quick cool story: I was right in front of the AZ bullpen, so I was watching Byrnes warm up with either Montuzas or a reliever before each inning. Before the top of the 9th, Valverde played catch with him. Byrnes' first throw bounced. JV threw it back. Byrnes' next throw airmailed Valverde and hit the outfield wall about 10 feet to Valverde's left (note: he also choked a throw back to the infield after -- I think -- Matsui's RBI single to make it 2-1). Just as I was thinking, "WTF are we paying this guy $10m for?" I turned my attention back to the field, and I see a ball flipped up into the air out of the corner of my eye. Valverde just flipped it up -- nobody was begging him for it -- and it came right to me! So yay to Jose, I am a fan for life...though he'd already won me over because before the game started he was down the LF line signing a LOT of autographs for kids -- far more than anyone else.

Seņor Valverde is one of the finer human beings you'll ever meet.
- 2008 World Champions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> GameDay Threads All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 20 of 25

Jump to: