Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AHHH! Broadcast relief!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesidewinda wrote:
dbackfanron wrote:
I was watching some of the Indians/Yankees game and I thought the team of Chip Carey, Bob Brenley, and Tony Gwyn were very good. The only problem was being able to hear them over the crowd noise. A technical problem TBS should fix.

I love when that happens.. Very Happy

ME TOO!!! That was an issue with the radio broadcast last night. WTG Diamondbacks fans! Razz
- 2008 World Champions
charlie
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: AHHH! Broadcast relief! Reply with quote

Quote:
Just because you dislike, or even hate, our broadcast team, doent me that we do. What you find juvenile or bombastic, I call experiancing the success of our team and showing it in a fun manner.

that is much more welcome than a media team that isnt prepared and frankly is biased for the Cubs before the first pitch is even thrown.

So I say again: Give me Grace and Sutton.

but I will agree, different strokes for different folks.

Kyle
Go Dbacks

I suppose it is a generational thing. At my age (72+), all that noise is way too distracting. But I recognize that "young" people who've grown up with a boom box or now an ipod blaring in their ears all their life probably don't even recognize how it might affect others.

Then, when a person like Grace insinuates himself into every aspect of the broadcast, and especially in his own peculiarly irritating manner, it kind of takes away from the game experience. Some of us would much rather there were NO color commentators for TV; after all, the vast majority of what they say is just a description of what we've already seen with our own eyes! And in Grace's case, what we often hear doesn't equate with what we've seen all too often.

But again, I know I'm in what probably is a very small minority on this issue anymore....
Bob A
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents here is that I like Sutton and Grace. They seem to geniunly be enjoying the game and each other's company and I think that comes through on the broadcast. Neither of them will ever be confused with the best broadcasters of all time but I'm sure they'd be the first to admit that. They're having fun and it shows.
csktech
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: AHHH! Broadcast relief! Reply with quote

charlie wrote:
Quote:
Just because you dislike, or even hate, our broadcast team, doent me that we do. What you find juvenile or bombastic, I call experiancing the success of our team and showing it in a fun manner.

that is much more welcome than a media team that isnt prepared and frankly is biased for the Cubs before the first pitch is even thrown.

So I say again: Give me Grace and Sutton.

but I will agree, different strokes for different folks.

Kyle
Go Dbacks

I suppose it is a generational thing. At my age (72+), all that noise is way too distracting. But I recognize that "young" people who've grown up with a boom box or now an ipod blaring in their ears all their life probably don't even recognize how it might affect others.

You may have hit the nail on the head. My Dad was the same way, because he grew up listening to ball games on the radio.

Im 47 so no spring chicken here either.

Kyle
Bobster
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm enjoying the break - even if stockton is well past his prime as an announcer.

i just tire of gfrace's non-stop babbling.
dbackfanron
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that because I can see the action it doesn't bother me as much that Sutton and Grace are talking and having fun during the broadcasts. I've come to enjoy their broadcasts. It's like watching a game with a couple of close friends. On the radio side, I prefer the less talk because I'm listening closely for the description of the action.
Robert S.
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: AHHH! Broadcast relief! Reply with quote

charlie wrote:
Some of us would much rather there were NO color commentators for TV; after all, the vast majority of what they say is just a description of what we've already seen with our own eyes! And in Grace's case, what we often hear doesn't equate with what we've seen all too often.

But again, I know I'm in what probably is a very small minority on this issue anymore....

I would kill for this option. Just mic the hell out of the field and give me the ambient noise of the game. My pie-in-the-sky dream is that I would have the ability to choose from the various cameras that are in the park - there would be several channels broadcasting the game at the same time. For example: I could have the normal broadcast on a big screen, a feed looking over the entire field on another screen, a field-level feed, a feed from the bullpen . . .
EvilJuan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just announced: Chip Carey, Bob Brenly and Tony Gwynn will be broadcasting game #1 from Chase on Thursday.
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
Just announced: Chip Carey, Bob Brenly and Tony Gwynn will be broadcasting game #1 from Chase on Thursday.

2 outta 3 ain't too bad Cool
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:

Gee, I wonder who Gwynn thinks will win this series. Rolling Eyes
- 2008 World Champions
baldmaga
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
moviegeekjn wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:

Gee, I wonder who Gwynn thinks will win this series. Rolling Eyes

The Padres silly Laughing
tucsondbacksfan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AHHH! Broadcast relief! Reply with quote

Robert S. wrote:
charlie wrote:
Some of us would much rather there were NO color commentators for TV; after all, the vast majority of what they say is just a description of what we've already seen with our own eyes! And in Grace's case, what we often hear doesn't equate with what we've seen all too often.

I would kill for this option. Just mic the hell out of the field and give me the ambient noise of the game. My pie-in-the-sky dream is that I would have the ability to choose from the various cameras that are in the park - there would be several channels broadcasting the game at the same time. For example: I could have the normal broadcast on a big screen, a feed looking over the entire field on another screen, a field-level feed, a feed from the bullpen . . .

You're on to something there. I get pretty tired of the hearing the never ending chatter to do nothing but cover up the silence. TV and Radio are scared witless over even a second or two of dead air. The sounds of the game would be much, much better. Let's listen in to the players, umps- anyone but the "slick" announcers.
Incognito
Journeyman

Location: Somewhere out there beneath the clear blue sky, dazed and confused

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbackfanron wrote:
I was watching some of the Indians/Yankees game and I thought the team of Chip Carey, Bob Brenley, and Tony Gwyn were very good. The only problem was being able to hear them over the crowd noise. A technical problem TBS should fix.

I would agree with you on two of the three but Tony Gwynn's voice drives me crazy ... he sounds like he could use some steroids or other hormones to lower the voice. And I am not sure I heard an original comment from him ... always seemed to be repeating something one of the other commentators said or trying (unsuccessfully) to expand upon something else.

Besides, isn't he supposed to be at SDSU coaching college players?

And no, I am NOT a Gwynn fan
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incognito wrote:
And I am not sure I heard an original comment from him ... always seemed to be repeating something one of the other commentators said or trying (unsuccessfully) to expand upon something else.

Announcing effectively and playing are two entirely different creatures... tho TV networks are always trying current/former players out for color guys.

Gwynn's penchant for stating the obvious and sticking to cliche isn't unusual...esp. for athletes who have been trained to do so to remain "friends" with the media. Gonzo did the same the past two post seasons when FOX had him as one of their color guys--he did provide some "inside" entertainment for Dbacks fans with a number of refs to PVs and how important they were for a team's success Wink
Tucson DBacks Fan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of any of those broadcasters. I'd like to hear Brenley say "If the Diamondbacks wouldn't have fired me, the team would have won the World Series two times again by now." I wouldn't be surprised to hear him rag on his old team, and he probably will but more covertly. Maybe he'll just cuddle up to the Rockies. Laughing
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Brenly will be trashing the DBacks.
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:

I am SURE that he won't. I've already heard him broadcast Dbacks games against the Cubs, and he's describes them more accurately than any "outside" broadcaster.
Gorfo57
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:

Quote:
matt wrote:

I am SURE that he won't. I've already heard him broadcast Dbacks games against the Cubs, and he's describes them more accurately than any "outside" broadcaster.

Kuiper and Krukow did a pretty good job of understanding how the D-Backs were winning games during the 2 September series. They were very complimentary of this team. Never ragged on them one bit. Of course, they are a couple of homers for the Giants, but that's to be expected. But nowhere near as bad as the pair from Colorado or San Diego. Kuiper and Krukow come across as genuinely enjoying watching the young D-Backs play, whether the Giants win or lose, while those other 4 can't stand seeing the D-Backs beating their teams and start constantly whining while their teams are losing a game.

Upton everyday.
Go D-Backs!
admdavid
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy what Brenly adds to the broadcast. Tony does seem to parrot a lot of what Brenly says, but he's not that bad. I'm just glad we don't have to listen to Stockton and Darling anymore. Talk about bad announcers!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also seemed like Brenly wanted the DBacks to win but couldn't express that because he works for the Cubs.
YBC-Dog
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear we'll have some better annoucing this time around.

I only got to see the broadcast for game 2 and 3 but I think the funniest screwup from the last series (and there were A LOT) was when DD got the sac bunt, one of them stated: "And Reynolds scores from 3rd" (as Upton crosses the plate).

I understand maybe not recognizing a lot of our young players and getting them confused, but I have no frigging idea how you could possibly mix up Upton and Reynolds. Confused
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
Nice to hear we'll have some better annoucing this time around.

I only got to see the broadcast for game 2 and 3 but I think the funniest screwup from the last series (and there were A LOT) was when DD got the sac bunt, one of them stated: "And Reynolds scores from 3rd" (as Upton crosses the plate).

I understand maybe not recognizing a lot of our young players and getting them confused, but I have no frigging idea how you could possibly mix up Upton and Reynolds. Confused

Well duh. They're both young. They both came straight to AZ from AA this year. And seriously, when those two are standing next to each other I can't tell one from the other. Wink
- 2008 World Champions
EvilJuan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
It also seemed like Brenly wanted the DBacks to win but couldn't express that because he works for the Cubs.

Doesn't seem to matter for Mark Grace... Wink
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

Well duh. They're both young. They both came straight to AZ from AA this year. And seriously, when those two are standing next to each other I can't tell one from the other. Wink

heh... Aren't both from Virginia too?... accents are the same. Reynolds is the younger, right? Damn hard to distinguish between em if one wasn't in the infield and the other in the outfield. Cool
whatuwant
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:

yeah, i think its clear he wanted the Dbacks to win. He lives here, worked here, and one of his best friends is the manager.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: