Page 10 of 11 [ 209 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post subject: Re: Padres News
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:22 am 

Padres To Sign James Shields

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:53 am 

misterx wrote:

Pads going all-in in 2015. First time ever they've had a payroll over $100M.

Of course, we all know how well that worked for us in 2014... :?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:13 pm 

EvilJuan wrote:
misterx wrote:

Pads going all-in in 2015. First time ever they've had a payroll over $100M.

Of course, we all know how well that worked for us in 2014... :?

I bet that the D Backs unload their bankroll NEXT year. A ton of pitching on the market next year.

I think they use this year to sort out who to keep, and then they do what the Padres did this year, go for several big upgrades all at once.

Their past comments, moves to date, as well as the timing, (TV deal), as well as what next year's FA market looks like all point to that.

They will probably be in better trade position too.

While I think the 2015 version of this team will struggle mightily to be a .500 team, there are some interesting enough pieces and players beyond the already established guys like Goldy and Pollock, that I want to see develop.

Hopefully we get more than a few surprises and then the D backs go all in NEXT year for the quick strike.

I could live with that strategy

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:25 am 

shoewizard wrote:
Their past comments, moves to date, as well as the timing, (TV deal), as well as what next year's FA market looks like all point to that.

Any recent estimates for the upcoming TV deal?

Also, with this FA splash next off-season, I'm not all that sold that's the way to go. Even with a new infusion of revenues from TV, it doesn't make signing those FA SP's for $20M+/yr or those average players for $10M/yr any more wise. Maybe one key add from FA to fill a spot that is an obvious liability, but otherwise, finally taking a more sustainable and long-term approach to building a consistent contender would be much more refreshing than continuing to craft a new 5-yr plan every 3 yrs.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:57 pm 

Do many people think the Padres going for it is a good gamble? I'm not sure when Fangraphs' projections were last updated, but they have the Pads as a .500 team.

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.as ... =Standings

I think with the deep pockets of the Dodgers and Giants in this division, the only way for AZ and SD to compete is to build for long-term success. The new TV deal will certainly help, but that new money shouldn't throw you off a long-term approach.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:40 pm 

I like what the Padres have done in the off season and at least they will be worth watching.

Dont tell anyone but for some reason I get the Padres games with the great Dick Enberg calling their games.

Vin is Vin but back in the old days Enberg and Don Drysdale used to call Angels games when they had Nolan Ryan and Frank Tananna dealing. To this day they are the best radio "Team" Ive ever heard.

Years later at a DBACK game got to sit next to Drysdales wife Ann Meyer and tell her what I thought. Kinda cool.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:48 pm 

dirtygary wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Any recent estimates for the upcoming TV deal?

Also, with this FA splash next off-season, I'm not all that sold that's the way to go. Even with a new infusion of revenues from TV, it doesn't make signing those FA SP's for $20M+/yr or those average players for $10M/yr any more wise. Maybe one key add from FA to fill a spot that is an obvious liability, but otherwise, finally taking a more sustainable and long-term approach to building a consistent contender would be much more refreshing than continuing to craft a new 5-yr plan every 3 yrs.

It really depends. If a bunch of guys don't develop as hoped and they crash and burn their way to a another 90+ loss season, then of course it would be a waste to spend money.

BUT....if they get surprised by several guys that perform well enough to propel them to over 81 wins, AND they have a lot of cash sitting around available, why not go for it with a couple of signings ?

NOTE: I do not advocate trading away young pre arb or high level minor league talent for "Win Now Veterans". I am only talking about augmenting existing young focused roster with a couple of guys to push them over the top. That said Obviously they have 16-17 guys capable of being a #4 starter and they won't be able to use them all.......so some of them are going to be trade bait at some point. It's inevitable.

It just depends on where they are. What I am saying is I think this is what they WILL do, and I can live with that, as long as they don't go all KT and start trading away kids for vets

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:11 am 

Bets on how long Shields is actually with the Padres? Seems like a good move to get him in-house now, then deal him later if/when a strong offer for him arrives, buy better prospects by picking up salary.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:23 pm 

Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal
Complete deal: Kimbrel and B.J. from #Braves to #Padres for Quentin, Maybin, Wisler, Paroubeck and 41st pick.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:31 pm 

Well if the Pads have a lead late it's over.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:58 pm 

Kimbrel in Petco...

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:20 pm 

Wow, good for the Pads. I hate to root for a team in our division, but I'm basically for anyone other than SF/LA at this point in time.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:28 pm 

If the Giants or Dodgers have a major injury (Kershaw/Posey) or scuffle out of the gates, the Padres take this division. Mark my words.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:44 pm 

Since the Padres traded for Kimbrel, I was wondering Shoe or whomever... Is there a way of saying how many saves Trevor Hoffman had at Qualcomm/ Petco/ and on the Road? And I don't mean home/road. How many in just Qualcomm and how many in just Petco and just road. I would be interested is seeing that.

Was Qualcomm about the same (pitcher's park) as Petco? I barely remember Qualcomm for some reason. Or at least wasn't paying attention to that type of thing when I was 18 (Petco opened in 04). :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:28 pm 

Justin wrote:
Since the Padres traded for Kimbrel, I was wondering Shoe or whomever... Is there a way of saying how many saves Trevor Hoffman had at Qualcomm/ Petco/ and on the Road? And I don't mean home/road. How many in just Qualcomm and how many in just Petco and just road. I would be interested is seeing that.

Was Qualcomm about the same (pitcher's park) as Petco? I barely remember Qualcomm for some reason. Or at least wasn't paying attention to that type of thing when I was 18 (Petco opened in 04). :lol:

here you go. Twice as many games in qualcom, and that was his peak. Last few years in petco he was not quite as dominant

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:13 pm 

Oden wrote:
Wow, good for the Pads. I hate to root for a team in our division, but I'm basically for anyone other than SF/LA at this point in time.

Not expecting much from us this year, and I think JUp will leave after this season, so I hope they tear it up this year.

Better than team moneybags or the Giants doing it again

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:07 am 

What a crazy good deal for Atlanta

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:13 pm 

IA DBACK wrote:
Well if the Pads have a lead late it's over.

Not today.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:08 pm 

A cool thing the Padres are doing.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/san-die ... ntract-mlb

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:20 pm 

David B wrote:
A cool thing the Padres are doing.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/san-die ... ntract-mlb

From the USA Today article:

Quote:
The professional baseball world can be a cold and ruthless place, especially for players who never make good on their big-league dreams. Good for the Padres for taking care of one of their own so long after his pitching days are over.

True on both counts. I doubt I'll ever root for the Padres (even if some absolutely insane chain of events made it possible to live there), but I will give them the credit they're due for this act on the part of the team. Thank you to the owners and organization for caring in this way! *two thumbs up*

Page 10 of 11 [ 209 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Baseball Matters » Rest of the West