Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Baseball Matters » Rest of the West

Page 38 of 40 [ 798 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Post subject: Re: Dodger News
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:20 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Honestly the injury to Kershaw is a shame.

He was having an historic season. The K BB ratio was set to DOUBLE the previous record.

Thats like a Quarterback throwing for 9000 yards, or a hitter smashing 140 homers.

He's the best pitcher in the game and when not facing d backs I like to watch him pitch.

I hope the Dodgers lose 100 games, but not because Kershaw is injured

Agreed. He has been a delight to watch this year and it is a damn shame if we don't get to see a full season of that. I doubt anyone dislikes the Dodgers as much as I do. . . but man, you just have to admire what that guy has done. I tip my cap and hope his issues are far less serious than they appear to be.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:53 am 

Pretty strong moves by the Dodgers picking up Reddick and Hill to bolster their depth as they try to chase down the Giants.

Trade Rumors story here

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:37 am 

Also notable that although Kershaw has not pitched since June 26th, from June 27th on the Dodgers are 18-10, allowing 4 R/G and 3.71 ERA during that span.

Of course their offense really picked them up during that span, (in part thanks to Arizona pitching of course) as they averaged 5.2 R/G during last 28 games to go with a team .793 OPS

Just 2 games behind the Giants now, and having just bolstered their roster, they are a decent bet to run down the Giants with or without Kershaw, which would really be amazing actually

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:56 am 

shoewizard wrote:
Pretty strong moves by the Dodgers picking up Reddick and Hill to bolster their depth as they try to chase down the Giants.

Trade Rumors story here

It could equally be said that Billy Beane has struck again, trading away major-league talent at the end of their contracts in exchange for three pitchers. Yes, TINSTAAPP... But the man has displayed a talent for evaluating the horseflesh, so to speak, and doing it well, for the most part.

shoewizard wrote:
Just 2 games behind the Giants now, and having just bolstered their roster, they are a decent bet to run down the Giants with or without Kershaw, which would really be amazing actually

Given how intensely I dislike the Dodgers, I am really hoping that the fact that this is an "even" year will come through once again for the orange and black... :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:36 pm 

EvilJuan wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Trade Rumors story here

It could equally be said that Billy Beane has struck again, trading away major-league talent at the end of their contracts in exchange for three pitchers. Yes, TINSTAAPP... But the man has displayed a talent for evaluating the horseflesh, so to speak, and doing it well, for the most part.

shoewizard wrote:

Given how intensely I dislike the Dodgers, I am really hoping that the fact that this is an "even" year will come through once again for the orange and black... :lol:

Like you, EJ, I have an intense dislike for anything 'Dodgers' not named "Vin Scully."

Having said that, I can feel myself being open to enjoying LAD catching SFG this year if for no other reason than LA's M*A*S*H unit of a roster puts AZ's 'injuries' whining to shame. I agree with Shoe that is impressive what they are doing.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:54 pm 

Amazing what smart management can do piece by piece to make a ballclub better.

The scary thing for me about the Dodgers is they have a young stud like Seager and a good farm system and a lot of money coming off the books a year or two from now.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:29 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Amazing what smart management can do piece by piece to make a ballclub better.

The scary thing for me about the Dodgers is they have a young stud like Seager and a good farm system and a lot of money coming off the books a year or two from now.

I know. They are scary. This is the team I asked a certain GM about when he took me to lunch in late 2013. How does AZ compete when they ALREADY have a well-stocked farm system, more money than God, and a front office chock-full of folks who know how to properly analyze player value (and therefore allocate assets optimally)?

His answer? The distractions of the money and LA lifestyle will distract and corrupt the Dodgers. AZ fans need not worry.
:o

I already knew I wasn't renewing. But that still completely stunned me.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:23 pm 

End of 2 Eras today:
Carlos Ruiz in Philadelphia
A.J. Ellis in Los Angeles
were traded for each other today
As Ellis has been the main catcher for Kershaw, the question arose as to how well
Clay would do without him, and Kenny Rosenthal was quick to point out that, even
with a small sample size, Kershaw's numbers with Yasmani Grandal are pretty much the same. I think Kershaw will adjust to the situation and continue being what he is.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:57 pm 

Braun for Puig, McCarthy and prospects almost went down at the trade deadline. Will be revisited this winter.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/09/y ... umors.html

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:51 pm 

David B wrote:
Braun for Puig, McCarthy and prospects almost went down at the trade deadline. Will be revisited this winter.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/09/y ... umors.html

Puig looking pretty good since coming back, 7 Games, 19 PA, batting .357 with 3 HR, 6 RBI and 4 Walks vs. just 2 K's

And did you see the catch he made to keep perfect game alive for Hill from the other night ? Link

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:42 pm 

If I'm the Brewers I do that deal in a heartbeat. Always liked Puig's under-tapped promise. McCarthy is $35 million of dead weight, but maybe you get lucky and he rebounds long enough for them to get something useful in a trade (ala Aaron Hill). A couple of prospects sweeten the deal and make up for taking on McCarthy's contract. You shed Braun, admittedly having a top 20 offensive season in the NL, and the remainder of his contract (which actually doesn't look so bad right now at 4 years, $76 million, with a 5th year $15 million mutual option). Could be a win for both sides.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:53 pm 

I'm making a trip to a Dodger Stadium for a game over Vin Scully Weekend.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:50 pm 

It was a great Saturday afternoon/evening at Chavez Ravine. Flew from Houston to LA in the morning, got into Dodger Stadium right as gates were opening for BP, stayed for all 9, ubered back to LAX for red-eye return to Houston.

With no spring training and no decent public transit to Astros games from my location, I might just put my baseball budget towards an annual pilgrimage there instead. They've really improved the facility inside and out, concession lines moved, and there's still no better setting for a ballgame.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:27 am 

"You know, friends, so many people have wished me congratulations on a 67-year career in baseball and they've wished me a wonderful retirement with my family. And now, all I can do is tell you what I wish for you:

'May God give you for every storm, a rainbow
For every tear, a smile
For every care, a promise
And a blessing in each trial

For every problem life's seen
a fateful friend to share
For every sigh, a sweet song
And an answer for each prayer'

You and I have been friends for a long time, but I know in my heart I have always needed you more than you've ever needed me.

And I'll miss our time together more than I can say.

But, you know what? There will be a new day and, eventually, a new year. And when the upcoming winter gives way to spring, oh, rest assured, once again, it *will be* TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL.

So this is Vin Scully, wishing you a very pleasant good afternoon, wherever you may be.

:cry:

Remarkable. Difficult to imagine any of today's broadcasters with the capacity to offer such an eloquent goodbye.

God Bless Vin Scully

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:58 pm 

dirtygary wrote:
"You know, friends, so many people have wished me congratulations on a 67-year career in baseball and they've wished me a wonderful retirement with my family. And now, all I can do is tell you what I wish for you:

'May God give you for every storm, a rainbow
For every tear, a smile
For every care, a promise
And a blessing in each trial

For every problem life's seen
a fateful friend to share
For every sigh, a sweet song
And an answer for each prayer'

You and I have been friends for a long time, but I know in my heart I have always needed you more than you've ever needed me.

And I'll miss our time together more than I can say.

But, you know what? There will be a new day and, eventually, a new year. And when the upcoming winter gives way to spring, oh, rest assured, once again, it *will be* TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL.

So this is Vin Scully, wishing you a very pleasant good afternoon, wherever you may be.

:cry:

Remarkable. Difficult to imagine any of today's broadcasters with the capacity to offer such an eloquent goodbye.

God Bless Vin Scully

A class act that will never be surpassed.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:07 am 

Here is some good news for us

Dodgers struggling to meet Debt Service Rule

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:43 pm 

Dodgers acquired 2B Logan Forsythe from the Rays in exchange for RHP Jose De Leon.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:21 pm 

Just how dominant is this year's edition of the Dodgers?
This is a list of all the division winners since the Dbacks came aboard in 1998:

YEAR TEAM RECORD .PCT
2017 Los Angeles 65-29 .691
2003 San Francisco 100-61 .621
1999 Arizona 100-62 .617
1998 San Diego 98-64 .605
2002 Arizona 98-64 .605
2000 San Francisco 97-65 .599
2009 Los Angeles 95-67 .586
2004 Los Angeles 93-69 .574
2011 Arizona 94=68 .580
2012 San Francisco 94-68 .580
2014 Los Angeles 94-68 .580
2001 Arizona 92-70 .568
2010 San Francisco 92-70 .568
2013 Los Angeles 92-70 .568
2015 Los Angeles 92-70 .568
2016 Los Angeles 91-71 .562
2007 Arizona 90-72 .556
2006 San Diego 88-74 .543
2008 Los Angeles 84-78 .519
2005 San Diego 82-80 .506

And we can expect this kind of thing to be perennial as long as the Dodgers are able to spend
more money than anyone else. Luxury tax to them is just pocket change. They can sign any
free agent they want and they can retain any free agent they want (e.g. Turner, Jansen).
And the commi$$ioner is committed toward COMPETITIVE BALANCE??? I believe that as much
as I would believe him if he told me to follow the yellow brick road and go see the Wizard of Oz.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:57 pm 

Kershaw out of after 2 innings. Some kind of injury. Fastball in high 80's

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:32 pm 

Looks like a back injury and 4-6 weeks on the DL

Page 38 of 40 [ 798 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Board index » Baseball Matters » Rest of the West