Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Baseball Matters » Rest of the West

Page 1 of 2 [ 40 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Melky Cabrera suspended 50 games
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:44 am 

via @MLB: Giants OF Melky Cabrera suspended 50 games without pay after testing positive for Testosterone, a performance-enhancing substance.

Post subject: Re: Melky Cabrera suspended 50 games
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:51 am 

Weird...career year and popping positive for PEDs.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:05 pm 

they probably suspended him after calling him for an inquiry conducted in english......

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:31 pm 

After my giddy laughter subsides, I will say this: I have 100X more respect for Melky Cabrera admitting to his mistake and taking his punishment like a man vs Ryan Braun throwing a innocent person under the bus and using a loophole to get out of his punishment.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:45 pm 

I normally try to stay classy with other teams/fanbases -- even our rivals -- but I can't help it on this one:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!

OK, with that out of my system, I thought about this: remember how earlier this year when he got off to his fast start, Melky was pushing for a huge contract extension? I guess now we know why. Now? There's no way he gets big bucks. He'll probably get a one-year deal for 2013. If he rebounds when he's clean, he'll get a nice deal, but it's still one prime year he won't get megabucks for.

This also makes the NL West a LOT more interesting. I don't think the D-Backs have shown the unity/fortitude they had last year when they kicked ass, and it's on THEM if they're going to get serious in this race, but this definitely helps our chances.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:43 pm 

YBC-Dog wrote:
After my giddy laughter subsides, I will say this: I have 100X more respect for Melky Cabrera admitting to his mistake and taking his punishment like a man vs Ryan Braun throwing a innocent person under the bus and using a loophole to get out of his punishment.

X2

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:13 pm 

Gibson on Cabrera

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:20 pm 

I was hoping that Gibby would bring up Braun.

Gibby: Minimum of 1 year for first suspension, banned for repeat offenders.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:38 pm 

At least he admitted it without excuses. Can't remember any other player of note doing that.

Quote:
“My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used,” Cabrera said in a statement (via the San Francisco Chronicle’s Hank Schulman). “I accept my suspension under the Joint Drug Program and will try to move on with my life. I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down.”

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:18 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
At least he admitted it without excuses. Can't remember any other player of note doing that.

Quote:
“My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used,” Cabrera said in a statement (via the San Francisco Chronicle’s Hank Schulman). “I accept my suspension under the Joint Drug Program and will try to move on with my life. I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down.”

Give him credit for manning up

Btw. He must be the 2nd happiest man that king felix pitched today. Pushed him to second story

Might be the greatest post in the history of this board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:13 pm 

YBC-Dog wrote:

I agree.....and because of that people will forgive him and let it go after a while...The "MVP" will never get off the hook....

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:20 am 

Tim Keown / ESPN.com wrote:
The origin story of Melky Cabrera, All-Star, turns out to be mostly mythology. His career ascent -- to 2012 MVP candidate from a below-average ballplayer whose regular bouts with disinterest caused his release from the Braves after the 2010 season -- was attributed to old-fashioned hard work, with a side order of his mother's cooking. Clearly, given Wednesday's news and Cabrera's shockingly blunt admission of guilt, the emergence was fueled by more than shoulder presses and plantains.

It would be tough to overstate the unlikely change in Cabrera's career. In 2010 with the Braves, he finished with a .671 OPS and a -0.5 WAR, ranking him among the worst position players in the big leagues. After a 200-hit bounce-back season with the Royals last year, he became one of the five best players in the National League this year, with a WAR of 4.8.

The Giants have a knack for attracting players who are: (1) prone to cheat, and (2) ignorant and/or arrogant enough to get caught. Cabrera is the third Giant to receive a 50- or 100-game suspension under baseball's new testing procedures, the most of any team. Guillermo Mota (100 games, earlier this year) and catcher Eliezer Alfonzo (50 in 2008) are the others.

Don't feel sorry for the Giants, though. A hopped-up Melky undoubtedly gave them more production -- and, therefore, more wins -- than the God-given Melky ever would have. They gave up a flawed pitcher in Jonathan Sanchez and got 117 of the best games of Cabrera's career.

In fact, let's just go ahead and say it: History will wind up recording those 117 games as the very best Melky -- and his pharmacological help -- had to offer.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/keo ... -peds-work

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:38 pm 

It's pretty fascinating to see what peds can do for someone. No wonder players are willing to risk it.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:56 pm 

Yesterday on the Doug and Wolf show on KTAR it was suggested to Kevin Towers that teams (like the Giants with Cabrera's 117 games this year) that benefit from a player caught cheating should lose wins based on a formula such as that player's WAR, which in Cabrera's case this year would be 5 games. Clearly the Giants benefitted greatly from a juiced Cabrera over the first 2/3 of this season.

No team has gotten screwed worse recently by cheaters than have the D-backs. Manny in 2008. Braun in 2011. Cabrera in 2012.

Towers liked that suggestion, and Kirk Gibson took that idea and brought it to life in his press conference this morning.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:39 pm 

Careful........

I think its highly likely that at least a few d backs have been cheating over the last few years and just never got caught

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:20 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Careful........

I think its highly likely that at least a few d backs have been cheating over the last few years and just never got caught

+1

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:22 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Careful........

Its not cheating if you dont get caught. ;)

Nothing wrong with most of the roster having ADD. ;)

I wink just like baseball has winked concerning the newest baseball drug phase.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:23 pm 

If Dbacks get caught, then they should pay the price.

I was thinking they shoudl fine the teams 50M or some percentage of the team payroll. Put the onus on the teams to take an interest in who they are signing.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:47 pm 

That's ridiculous. A team has no way to physically prevent a player from taking peds

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:20 pm 

matt wrote:
That's ridiculous. A team has no way to physically prevent a player from taking peds

Why not - Employers are responsible for thier employees. IN the current system, the dodgers for instance, have no dis-incentive to take someone like manny ramirez on thier roster.

Sure 50 million is too much, but i think putting some onus back on the teams that employ these guys would help.

Maybe its draft picks... forfiet one pick for every occurance, and which round depends on how much value the player added.

Im flexible - just think the team should have some reason to try to make sure thier players are clean.

Page 1 of 2 [ 40 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Baseball Matters » Rest of the West