Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Baseball Matters » Rest of the West

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Padres Vs Aces
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:29 pm 

I have been thinking of coming back to this board. I still do not have a computer (so this is on the apartment computer lab thing). I am alive and well, and still working minumum wage at a Frys. I might transfer to the Pharmacy in a few months. I tried in May but they denied it.

Anyway, as some of you may know Monday through Thursday is the Aces vs Padres series down here in Tucson. I have decided to write up about it. I have/had tickets for last nights game and tonights game. Last night, on the website the listed starter for Reno was Kroenke, but it turned out to be Corbin. Corbin was good in 3 innings...before the rains came. More on that in a minute. The starting OF consisted of Gillespie, Eaton and Pollack. Wheeler started at 3B. Pollack scored a run from 2B on a single and... wow he is fast. I mean, I knew he was fast but he really showed it on that-in person. I forget who singled him in. Through 3 innings the Padres had 1 hit to Reno's 6. At 7:55 the umpires called a rain delay before the start of the 4th. The sky was pitch black and there was a torrential rainpour for an hour. At about 9:00 the rain stopped, they pulled the tarp off the field but the field was in such poor condition the teams opted to suspend the game to today. The completion of last night's game will start at 5:30 and the second game will start at 7 and be only 7 innings. The listed starter today is Martinez, but because they are playing two, they might start Skaggs (who was originally Wednesday's starter).

Post subject: Re: Padres Vs Aces
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:16 pm 

thanks for the update!

look forward to seeing what the double dip has to offer.....

welcome back

Might be the greatest post in the history of this board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:22 pm 

The resumption of Monday's game went without a hitch. The weather was not a factor. For the first couple of innings, (4, 5, 6) the crowd was only 100 to 200 people and the fans really started coming in the latter third of the game. Most likely they were thinking they were early for the second game.
Wagner started for Tucson and was opposed by Bryan Henry for Reno. Matt Clark doubled in a run for the Padres in the bottom of the 4th inning. He hit several HR distance foul balls during the AB. I liked what I saw from Clark, I don't know where he is on SD's depth chart, though. That said with how great SD's offense is, if any Tucson players were good they'd be in the Majors.... The Padres only had their starter go 2 innings. In the 6th inning, Pollack hit a double off the CF wall to make it 3-1 Reno. He would later get an INF single, so he was 3-4 in the first game (I think he was hitless in the nightcap). In the 8th inning Mike Jacobs, who hit 30+ hrs for Florida a few years ago, hit a sac fly to score the games final run.

WP Henry (1-0) LP Hamburger(0-1) SV Albaladejo (17). The finals were Reno 4 Tucson 1. Reno out hit Tucson 11 to 4.

Game two

Reno started Joe Martinez in the second game and he was opposed by Tucson's Bear Bay. Reno sent out Eaton, Pollack and Wheeler for both games. Ryal, Bell and Budde all were new additions to the lineup (with Wheeler playing 1B, he was 3B in game 1). In the bottom half of the first inning Gyorko was gunned down at home by Eaton trying to score form 2B. I did not notice the 3B coach, but I would have put up a stop sign. It was a cool play at the plate though. In the bottom of the 2nd inning the Padres scored a run but the batter got into a rundown trying to take 2B on the throw home (it looked like he assumed there would be...there wasn't). In the top of the 3rd inning, Reno answered back with a 2 RBI double by David Bell. He showed some good power and range at 3B, to bad he is a AAAA player. To start the 6th inning, the first 2 Padres reached base via a base hit and a walk. Demel came in with two on and no outs. He struck out the first batter and then got the next one to ground into a 4-6-3 double play. The games final run came on a single by Mike Jacobs in the 7th inning.

WP Martinez (10-5) LP Bay (2-6) SV Lewis (3). The finals were Reno 3 Tucson 1. Reno out hit Tucson 9 to 6.

In 17 innings of baseball Tucson only had 10 hits to Reno's 20. I could definately see why These players are AAA and not playing in San Diego. Incidently, Corbin's line before the rains came Monday was 3IP, 1 hit, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts and no runs allowed. He looked really good. I can't wait to hear from Scott what Skaggs is going to do to that lineup....

edit-
interestingly,
07/18/12 Arizona Diamondbacks optioned Trevor Bauer to Reno Aces.
Arizona Diamondbacks recalled Jonathan Albaladejo from Reno Aces.

Last edited by Justin on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:29 pm 

Scott just said the second batter of the night Skaggs took a line drive off the hip... awaiting further word.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:31 pm 

He stayed in the game, he picked off the runner at 1B, but the 1B threw the ball away.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:37 pm 

He is limping and getting shelled.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:30 pm 

Hey it's good to see you again Justin! I took a little break myself from the board but for different reasons... anyways hope things improve so you can write from somewhere other than the apartment public computer.
I still go to Tucson Padres games simply because it's the only live baseball in town other than the U at High Corbett. We often wonder how these guys have even made it to AAA. The San Diego Padres are pretty screwed when it comes to calling anyone up. The only standout in my mind is Matt Clark. The rest are marginal and many times we feel like we're sitting at a little league game. But hey, it's baseball.

"There's NO Crying in Baseball"
Tom Hanks- "A League of Their Own"

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:58 pm 

Thanks, good to see you too. I agree on Clark.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Baseball Matters » Rest of the West