Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Farm Implements

Page 13 of 15 [ 289 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post subject: Re: top prospect lists.
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:30 am 

MLB.com's Updated MidSeason 100

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/ ... =prospects

Bradley 12
Shipley 47
Touissant 85
Blair 87
Lamb 98

DBacks' Top 20
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=ari

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:20 pm 

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere here yet....

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-the-prospects-arizona-diamondbacks/

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:43 am 

Thought we had a farm rankings specific thread but didnt see it

KLaw puts us in at #14 which I think is pretty fair

Quote:
14. Arizona Diamondbacks

I might take their top four starting pitching prospects over anyone else's in baseball. The system is rather light on bats, though, and trading two young hitting prospects for a back-end starter this winter didn't help that.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/ ... armsystems

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:17 am 

The last sentence is telling, more to come?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:38 pm 

Where the D-backs' top 30 prospects are starting the season

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:35 am 

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-l ... st?id=4008

Keith Law slotting each team's 1st rounder into their respective prospect ranks

Quote:
Arizona: Dansby Swanson, SS

New No. 1 prospect

Swanson is easily the top prospect in a system with several power-armed starters, none of whom is quite as complete a prospect as Swanson is right now.

Law had Shipley rated highest preseason and #20 overall, 11 of the 19 guys ranked above Shipley have been called up to the bigs. Put 2 and 2 together, Swanson will almost certainly get a top 10-15 overall ranking when new lists come out midseason.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:07 pm 

Bradley 9 :shock:

2 pitch pitcher with command issues and declining velocity getting over a rough time with a ball to the face , and now some shoulder issues ?

I sure hope I'm being too pessimistic.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:16 am 

Shipley up to #22 on KLaw's midseason 50 after being just honorable mention preseason

http://espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=5341

Quote:
22. Braden Shipley, RHP
Arizona Diamondbacks
Previous rank: Honorable mention
Current level: Triple-A

Shipley has a swing-and-miss changeup and above-average curveball, but has found success this year in Triple-A by trying to miss fewer bats, generating ground balls instead -- which he has done well, posting a 46 percent ground-ball rate and another 6 percent going for popups. Shipley's four-seamer can reach 95 but sits more average, and the key for him has been working down in the zone more effectively. He's a great athlete and former position player with a very clean delivery, and while I don't think there's huge upside here, he has a high floor and should be able to pitch in the majors this summer.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:08 am 

From Piecoro

Rival scouts don’t see much in Arizona Diamondbacks farm system

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:25 pm 

Not sure if this is a respected site or not but damn not 1, as in nobody in the DBACKS organization is listed in the TOP 200 prospects on their list. :shock:

http://www.baseballranks.com/2016/09/17 ... ht-future/

So sad what this operation has become. :evil:

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:58 am 

The Shadow wrote:
Not sure if this is a respected site or not but damn not 1, as in nobody in the DBACKS organization is listed in the TOP 200 prospects on their list. :shock:

Don't you know that they care about quantity and not quality?
Answering in reverse order: Since hiring Tony, we've received 38 players, the majority of whom are prospects in the minors, while moving 34 players during those acquisitions, most of whom came off the major league roster. 33 of the 38 were 26 years or younger. So our farm system continues to be stockpiled as we refocus on player development.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:38 am 

Bauer wannabe wrote:
The Shadow wrote:

Don't you know that they care about quantity and not quality?
Answering in reverse order: Since hiring Tony, we've received 38 players, the majority of whom are prospects in the minors, while moving 34 players during those acquisitions, most of whom came off the major league roster. 33 of the 38 were 26 years or younger. So our farm system continues to be stockpiled as we refocus on player development.

Since prospects are all unproven it makes sense that they are all equal, and that being the case more has to be better, right?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:25 am 

Diamondbacks Top Prospects Report from FanGraphs

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:33 am 

TAP wrote:

I read the FG list earlier this morning. Holy shit, our system is awful.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:47 pm 

Moranall wrote:
TAP wrote:

Which is why we need to have a complete and total REBUILD , or we are just going to suck for the next 5-10 years with maybe an ocassional fluke playoff appearance thrown in.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:20 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Moranall wrote:
TAP wrote:

Which is why we need to have a complete and total REBUILD , or we are just going to suck for the next 5-10 years with maybe an ocassional fluke playoff appearance thrown in.

I really hope not. I have no faith that they won't "retool" like they did after 2007 and 2011....

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:27 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Moranall wrote:
TAP wrote:

I actually really like Dave Cameron's idea of trying to contend for half a season and then sell heavy at the deadline. Try to rebuild value in players like Peralta, Greinke, Miller, etc.

I would, however, trade Segura and Tomas in the offseason. I don't think we can sell any higher than now for Segura and I think we can get an AL team to take him as a DH. His bat is legit.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:50 pm 

Thats a reasonable approach but i think d backs more likely to extend segura than trade him.

Id gauge trade value of the other guys for sure which im sure hazen is doing right now. If he can get good value now and these players market values are not as depressed as you think then you go for it. If their market value is greatly depressed then waiting till midseason is reasonable. But do keep in mind that with the exception if greinke and if course tomas, less control time is less value and for all of them there is certainly a non zero risk they depress their trade values even further.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:57 am 

shoewizard wrote:
Thats a reasonable approach but i think d backs more likely to extend segura than trade him.

Id gauge trade value of the other guys for sure which im sure hazen is doing right now. If he can get good value now and these players market values are not as depressed as you think then you go for it. If their market value is greatly depressed then waiting till midseason is reasonable. But do keep in mind that with the exception if greinke and if course tomas, less control time is less value and for all of them there is certainly a non zero risk they depress their trade values even further.

I'd add Greinke, and possibly Castillo to that list, as you stated the non zero chance of Greinke's value being further reduced is too big a risk unless his value has sunk to the point where it is unlikely to erode more. If they can recover 125M of the 170M left on his contract, and get a reasonable return back they dodge a large financial bullet and have instant financial flexibility going forward. If a full rebuild is on the table at the next trade deadline it will be a lot easier to execute effectively if those four are out of the way.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:33 am 

Jeff Sullivan made an interesting point in his weekly chat today about our system:

Jeff Sulliven wrote:
There's no overlooking what he did with just the Miller trade alone, subtracting from the very top of the system, but the system has recently graduated a handful of big-league players, and you also have to fault the actual player-development people if you see a weakness. Stewart would ultimately be responsible for the rest of the organization but it's been about a lot more than one dude who made a few bad trades

Obviously, graduating Lamb, Drury, Bradley, and Shipley had a big impact on our farm status. As of now, we essentially have zero impact prospects. Jeff points out that you have to fault the actual player-development people to some extent. However, I see two sides of this coin:

1) In the past few years, we've developed Goldschmidt, Pollock, and Lamb as significant position players. Also, Adam Eaton. Pitching wise, you might be able to claim Corbin and Miley.

2) That being said, our depth has been poor for several years and many of our higher prospects (Bradley, Shipley, Owings, etc.) have struggled to make a transition. Especially on the pitching side, our player development seems poor (but it could also be affected by our drafting).

I fully expect that the answer to lie somewhere in the middle. But to me, I feel like we've hit some home runs but beyond that, really struggle to effectively develop players in our farm.

Something that really stands out to me is that we seem to really lack players with discipline as they come up through the minors. We have a lot of higher-contact types (Owings, Vargas, Leyba, Lugo, Westbrook, among others) but few that seem to show strengths in working counts. It seems like this could be a lot of an organizational philosophy that probably needs to change.

There is a lot more that I could say but I feel like this could be a meaningful discussion: how do we improve our player development?

Page 13 of 15 [ 289 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Farm Implements