Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Farm Implements

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Arizona Fall League 2014
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:56 pm 

Teams were announced last week. D-backs players will again play for Salt River. A nice surprise for this Twins fan is that MN players will play for the same team.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/afl/club.jsp?team_id=527

AZ's contingent:

Pitchers: Archie Bradley, Enrique Burgos, Kaleb Fleck, Jimmie Sherfy
Catcher Peter O'Brien, IF Brandon Drury, OF Evan Marzilli

Obviously, looking forward to seeing Bradley pitch as well as see O'Brien again and Drury for the first time. AFL games are great and inexpensive. Plus, you can really hear Susie SuperFan in a mostly empty stadium.

Post subject: Re: Arizona Fall League 2014
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:15 pm 

Not sure where to put this but since it is being test used in the AFL I put here. 6 ways to speed up game

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/mlb-will-test-six-initiatives-to-speed-up-games-during-arizona-fall-league-000916732.html

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:33 pm 

You mean we are going to be robbed of scenes like THIS

Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:36 am 

shoewizard wrote:
You mean we are going to be robbed of scenes like THIS

It had to happen eventually, throwing like that.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:33 pm 

I completely agree that the game needs to speed up, and I have no problem with trying a few things out, but I'd have a big problem if they ended up trying to incorporate a clock into a baseball game. Make pitching changes more seamless, stop stepping out of the box and eliminate manager stall tactics, but there are no clocks in baseball.

Looking forward to seeing how they try these changes, though. AFL season starts next week!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:38 pm 

Oden wrote:
I completely agree that the game needs to speed up, and I have no problem with trying a few things out, but I'd have a big problem if they ended up trying to incorporate a clock into a baseball game. Make pitching changes more seamless, stop stepping out of the box and eliminate manager stall tactics, but there are no clocks in baseball.

Looking forward to seeing how they try these changes, though. AFL season starts next week!

Completely agree!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:10 am 

I went to SRF last night. It was the first game using the clock. It was bizarre, but an interesting experiment. The umps weren't really prepared for the various rules tests.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/98573818/ ... peedy-pace

There's a 2 minute 5 second clock between innings. The batter is supposed to be in the box by 1:45 or it's a strike and the pitcher needs to pitch before the 2:05 elapses or it's a ball. For one instance between innings Mark Appel was on the mound ready to go, but the hitter wasn't in the box. He stepped into the box right as the 2:05 elapsed and the umps called a ball because he hadn't thrown a pitch. Appel didn't protest enough. He said the hitter wasn't in the box, but the umps ignored him.

I think the clock is un-American, but I think the experiment has value in that it should get both the umpires and the teams conscious about the speed of play. If this leads to making some real changes to the pace of the game I'm all for it after watching 5 hour AL playoff games.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:24 pm 

No. Clocks. In. Baseball. The umpire already has the authority to issue balls/strikes for delaying gameplay at his discretion.

Besides, what's the hurry? Is there something better to watch on tv?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Farm Implements