Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Farm Implements

Page 2 of 2 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Stryker Trahan
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:29 pm 

Was just looking at Stryker's season a little more closely.

BB-REF

He got off to a slow start his first 8 games in June, but picked it up after that. He ended up with a .790 OPS and a 100 wRC+, and a .201 ISO

Some might be disappointed in that, but almost all the catchers with better hitting numbers are at least a year or two older Fangraphs Also, all but 6 of his PA's came against pitchers that were older than him.

He threw out 40% of base stealers, and I've heard he made improvement behind the plate overall. He also hit lefties better than righties....(small sample size caveat applies)

Considering what he was dealing with at such a young age, and how he responded, and how he stacks up age for level and among catchers, I am pretty optimistic about him.

He is still a few years away most likely, but I can easily see him getting his first call up by mid/late 2016 if he continues along this path. Left handed hitting catchers with power get moved quickly if they can handle the job behind the plate.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:19 pm 

I'm still convinced that he won't be a catcher when he gets to the big leagues. I haven't heard any reports about him being converted to a Right Fielder since around his draft time though.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:31 pm 

LINK
Quote:
The Diamondbacks have decided to move prospect Stryker Trahan from catcher to left field.

A 2012 first-round pick, Trahan was always seen as unlikely to stick at catcher. The 19-year-old has batted .266/.370/.467 with 15 homers over 108 game in rookie ball so far. "I was on board with it from the beginning of the conversation, once I realized it was real — and that I had a great opportunity," Trahan said. "I’ve heard nothing but good things that can come out of this."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:55 pm 

Writing was on the wall when we drafted him, I always expected him to be moved.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:56 am 

dbacks_Nation wrote:
Writing was on the wall when we drafted him, I always expected him to be moved.

No doubt, was a slim chance that he'd stick there when drafted. Some consensus after last year was that he had a chance to stick at catcher a little longer and was making progress... but if long term, the move was in the cards anyway, I see no fault in moving him now.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:22 pm 

Been hitting very well recently. The longball numbers shot up to double digits. He was promoted to Visalia today and homered in his 1st AB. Here's hoping Stryker turned a corner! And he is back to catching again as well.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:06 am 

Hope so. Obviously I was higher on him then most for a long time. Of course right about the time this year I started to give up on him, in late April, he got hot.

Works like a charm ;)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:28 am 

shoewizard wrote:
Hope so. Obviously I was higher on him then most for a long time. Of course right about the time this year I started to give up on him, in late April, he got hot.

Works like a charm ;)

Patience, Grasshopper, patience. Even if it takes 3 more years, he'd only be 23 for the first month of the 2018 season.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:36 am 

ReTired wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Works like a charm ;)

Patience, Grasshopper, patience. Even if it takes 3 more years, he'd only be 23 for the first month of the 2018 season.

Thank you for such an important reminder. Really mean that.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:09 am 

Me has a sad

Quote:
The Diamondbacks released former first-round draft pick Stryker Trahan, per Matt Eddy of Baseball America (via Twitter). Taken 26th overall in 2012 as a catcher, he had shifted more recently to the outfield. Though he’s still just 22 years of age, though, the bat never showed much life after promising work at the Rookie ball level. While he hit 19 home runs in 2014, Trahan managed only a .283 OBP and hasn’t turned it around since. Last year, he slashed just .201/.256/.322 combined over 258 plate appearances at the Class A and High-A levels.

Link

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:30 pm 

If Trahan goes off to another organization and finds success, it will be just another proof that the Dbacks Org is not successful in developing players. Hope he saved enough bonus money to play on an Indy ball club if necessary. Gone but far from forgotten

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:08 pm 

TheDesertSurfer wrote:
it will be just another proof that the Dbacks Org is not successful in developing players.

Goldy? Pollock? Inciarte? Eaton? Lamb? Peralta? We've actually done pretty well on developing hitters (when we don't trade them away...). It's pitching that we suck at developing.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:05 am 

Moranall wrote:
TheDesertSurfer wrote:
it will be just another proof that the Dbacks Org is not successful in developing players.

Goldy? Pollock? Inciarte? Eaton? Lamb? Peralta? We've actually done pretty well on developing hitters (when we don't trade them away...). It's pitching that we suck at developing.

This organization, in my opinion, will not be successful in developing players until we start winning. I suppose I should have said "winners" instead of just "players". It's not enough to just look at the offensive side of things. True, the problem is pitching but we win or lose as a team, so, in my opinion, the development of players is successful only
if it produces winners.
Oh, BTW, has this organization figured out yet WHY it has pitching problems?

Page 2 of 2 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Farm Implements