Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Gameday Threads

Page 17 of 18 [ 342 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post subject: Re: Wildcard game 10/4/2017 col @ AZ
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:25 pm 

ESPN Stats & Info
@ESPNStatsInfo
The 31 runs scored in the 2017 Wild Card games are the most combined runs in the Wild Card games since 2012.

Previous high was 25 in 2014.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:39 pm 

I appreciate the other twitters but that one is kind of... small sample size, almost?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:00 pm 

Unbelievable game. I was reaching for a MedicAlert bracelet to call the paramedics. Wow.

Thank goodness Rodney had a multi-run lead.

So stoked we've gotten this far. On to LA!!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:01 pm 

Justin wrote:
I appreciate the other twitters but that one is kind of... small sample size, almost?

just passing along info judge them how you want

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:15 pm 

Just went through and read the thread.

What a great thread guys !! Seriously, a good read.

Not much I can add, you all saw the game, and covered all the angles.

I am totally hoarse. No voice left at all. To start out 6-0 and end up in such a tense game. When Archie hit that triple the place exploded like we haven't seen in a long time....and it was already a very loud and engaged crowd.

Zack Greinke though........Thats 3 straight bad outings and he just does not look right.

But I'll worry about that next week.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:52 pm 

@DaleMurphy3
All those who started typing ‘why is Archie Bradley hitting’... and deleted it as he was rounding 2nd.. raise your hand
8:10 PM - Oct 4, 2017

lol on the nose.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:32 am 

I'm with Shoe, no voice here as well. Throat hurts but man is it worth. When Bradley hit that triple... man... haven't been that excited since Goldy hit that grand slam back in the NLDS against the Brewers (which I also attended). Hopefully I get my voice back to 100% before my job interviews! :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:33 am 

Oden wrote:
@DaleMurphy3
All those who started typing ‘why is Archie Bradley hitting’... and deleted it as he was rounding 2nd.. raise your hand

lol on the nose.

Worse here....I actually hit send before he swung..... :oops:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:15 am 

pete25 wrote:
haven't been that excited since Goldy hit that grand slam back in the NLDS against the Brewers (which I also attended).

Schulte hadn’t screamed like that since the Goldy grandslam, either... Such a great game for the fans that have put up with 5 shitty years since last playoff appearance. It doesn’t seem so long ago to me, but if you’re a 12-yr old kid, the last big game was when you were 5. So a lot of kids in PHX finally got to see what a big dbax game is like. Can’t overstate how important those games are for cultivating a fanbase.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:44 am 

shoewizard wrote:
Oden wrote:
@DaleMurphy3

lol on the nose.

Worse here....I actually hit send before he swung..... :oops:

I was about to post "Just stand there and hope he walks you"

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:15 am 

I thought about the move at the time, but while getting insurance runs would have been nice, having the best pitcher in the game to keep the Rockies off the board was essential. As it turned out, they got both.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:34 am 

One heck of a game! Archie hitting a 2-run triple! Jeff Mathis with a bunt single! Jake with 4 hits! If you would have told me that Colorado scored 8 runs and J.D. Was 0-4 I would have thought were doomed! NOT SO and bring on LA!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 am 

Oden wrote:
@DaleMurphy3

lol on the nose.

I'm guilty, but not for the "crime" of questioning why Archie was batting. My prepared post was, "Two on with one out, and we score zip beep nada... AGAIN! :evil:" That got erased REAL quick, to be replaced with, "WHAT DID I TELL YA???????!!!??!" ;)

Still all abuzz with the win! BEAT LA!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:04 pm 

Oden wrote:
@DaleMurphy3

lol on the nose.

To me, it was a foregone conclusion that once Bradley came in during the 7th, he was the only
pitcher alive today who could have pitched the 8th, so if his turn at bat came up during the
7th, Archie would have to hit. When Neshek walked Descalso on four pitches, I assumed he
was thinking he could blow away both Mathis and Bradley. He took care of Mathis handily,
and then Bradley NAILED HIS ASS GOOD. This will always be a golden memory.
So Archie was hitting, because he had to stay in the game and pitch the 8th.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:42 pm 

David B wrote:
I thought about the move at the time, but while getting insurance runs would have been nice, having the best pitcher in the game to keep the Rockies off the board was essential. As it turned out, they got both.

Keeping Bradley in the game was the right move. However, Arenado and Story had back to back jacks and Archie gave the two runs right back, and was shaky. Johnson and Darling
surmised at the time that Archie had become so excited over his triple, that it affected his
pitching. Valaika then doubled to increase the suspense but Archie was able to get Lucroy
to end the inning and preserve the lead.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:54 pm 

IA DBACK wrote:
One heck of a game! Archie hitting a 2-run triple! Jeff Mathis with a bunt single! Jake with 4 hits! If you would have told me that Colorado scored 8 runs and J.D. Was 0-4 I would have thought were doomed! NOT SO and bring on LA!

JDM did go 0-4 with 2 K's and nearly a DP. Fortunately, Peralta, MARTE, Goldy, Lamb, Pollock,
and Descalso made BIG TIME contributions to cover JDM.
Despite leaving runners on second and third with 1 out in the first,
Marte on third with 1 out in the second,
Marte on third with 1 out again in the fourth,
they managed to score 11 runs, and 5 of them in the last two innings. Pollock's 8th
inning triple turned out to be the game winner, and he hit it to right center showing the
value of hitting to all fields, one more time. And Lamb set that up for him, by going TO LEFT
for a single. Can't minimize the importance of Lamb getting a measly single rather than
striking out or popping it up.
Most people don't take me seriously when I say a single is just as good as a home run at
times, but Lamb was the perfect example. I think Shoe would agree that your chances of
hitting a single are always better than hitting it out

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:28 pm 

Assessing Greinke's performance, I thought for the first three innings, despite not allowing any runs,
he was not as sharp as he has been at his best times.
In the fourth, it was Story and Parra that did him in. Story singled up the middle on the first pitch,
and Parra on the second. If ZG retires either of them, they most likely don't score in the inning.
ZG's success depends on working the corners, especially early in the count. He apparently gave
both of them something to hit and it cost him dearly. It bridged the gap to Lucroy, who has always
hit ZG well, and he doubled them both in, followed by Amarista's single for the fourth run and Torey
had to come out with the hook. If he retires EITHER Story or Parra, Lucroy doesn't bat in the inning
and I think he had Reynolds locked up.
At this point, ZG has to show that he can still win the big post-season games. This one rattled my
confidence in him and I think he was very disappointed in himself as well. Here's hoping he can
have a big game against LA
Now the question becomes, "How does Torey set up the rotation?" Seems to me that both Greinke
and Ray are out for Friday against Kershaw. Godley or Walker would most likely pitch Friday
and Saturday's games, unless Torey wishes to gamble with Corbin on the road. If Ray pitches
Saturday, it will be only two days rest. Beating LA depends on winning at least one game in
the ravine. Which one would it be? I'd put Walker against Kershaw on Friday, and Godley
against whoever on Saturday and try to come out 1-1 and go for two wins at home with
Greinke and Ray starting.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:05 pm 

Greinke just looks more hittable to me, with slightly diminished STUFF.

It's exponential. Just a touch less velocity , a little bit less sharp break on most of his pitches, and just a little bit less command.

None by themselves mean a lot, but combined, it add ups to a lot less effective, and a lot more hittable.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:15 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Greinke just looks more hittable to me, with slightly diminished STUFF.

It's exponential. Just a touch less velocity , a little bit less sharp break on most of his pitches, and just a little bit less command.

None by themselves mean a lot, but combined, it add ups to a lot less effective, and a lot more hittable.

And that's disturbing. He signed for six years, and is currently in his second. If his effectiveness
continues to diminish with time, then it devalues the deal as a whole. Curse of the multi-year
agreements, which, IMHO, shouldn't even be allowed but the union would never agree to it.
It also makes it extremely difficult to unload him and his contract. Think we'd be better off
developing young pitchers.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:20 pm 

I just wondered why there was no double switch when he put Archie in.

Page 17 of 18 [ 342 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Gameday Threads