Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Gameday Threads

Page 3 of 4 [ 76 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: 2017 Cactus League ST Games Thread
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:45 pm 

JoeCB91 wrote:
The biggest concern for me is if his velo is really going to be around 89 going forward or not. That contract will look even worse if it is the case.

Hopefully once the regular season starts he is throwing 91 again and all this concern is for nothing.

Diminished velocity can be a sign of shoulder injury. He threw harder in his previous outings, I can't think of any reason to throw less hard now unless something is bothering him if he does, or tries.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:37 pm 

Adam Jones single in the last of 10 wins the opener for Team USA 3-2 over Colombia
And then in game 2, today, Team USA took a 5-0 lead into the last of the 6th and ended up blowing the game 7-5, to go 1-1 in the weekend pool.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:29 pm 

There have been some great games in the WBC so far. Pool D (Mexico/Italy/Venezuela/Puerto Rico) has had crazy outcomes and the US/Colombia/DR games have been very entertaining as well. DR vs Col right now is tied in the 10th. The US has to beat Canada tonight and only give up a run or two to ensure they advance. Holding this in March is always going to make it tough with pitch limits and playing time limits for MLB players, but these have still been very entertaining games to watch.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:32 pm 

7th inning, USA up 7-0 Goldy at the dish... Cliff Floyd (IIRC, 10 minutes ago or so)"Americas 1B ....have to find out why he is called that." Because Bert is a moron?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:35 pm 

Posey just murdered the ball, straight away CF. 413 feet. The Canadian pitcher nonchalantly bends over to "retie" his shoes. :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:02 pm 

Justin wrote:
7th inning, USA up 7-0 Goldy at the dish... Cliff Floyd (IIRC, 10 minutes ago or so)"Americas 1B ....have to find out why he is called that." Because Bert is a moron?

I'm glad that even with some of the bad nicknames that are listed on bref pages, they don't even have that one on there.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:54 pm 

WBC Sked:
Playoff today; Venezuela vs. Italy and the winner will play the US on Tuesday Mar.14 at 6PM MST/PDT
Game 2: US vs. Puerto Rico, Friday March 17, 7PM PDT/MST
Game 3: US vs. Dominican Republic, Sat Mar. 18, 7PM PDT/MST

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:33 pm 

In the 8th,A game tying homer by Adam Jones and a two-run game winning dinger from Eric Hosmer
gave the USA a 4-2 win over Venezuela in the opening game in round 2 on Wednesday.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:26 pm 

Got to see most of the get-together with the Brew Crew today. Uke was on hand and looked good.
The Brewcasters talked to him today and Uke was telling them that when he broke in, the minimum salary was $7,500 and today it is around $550,000. Uke talked about how players had to work in the off-season and didn't come to ST in shape, but now they can
stay in shape the year-around.
Big F-up of the day came when a Brewers batter hit a popup around home plate. Iannetta was catching and never saw where it went, so he just sat there and never became part of
the play. At least he could have taken his mask off and looked for it because it was probably his play to make. So the pitcher comes charging in like he's going to catch it. The thirdbaseman charges in as does Descalso, playing first. At this point, with Iannetta out of it, only Descalso could make the play and he called off the pitcher and thirdbaseman, and the ball fell to the ground behind Descalso who never got a glove on it. Game was tied at that point and the Brewers went ahead for good as a result. Now, I KNOW THAT THE SCORE OF ST GAMES DOESN'T MEAN DIDDLEY, but this is a dress
rehearsal for the show that opens in about two weeks, so the play NEEDS to be made.
Robbie Ray looked fairly good today, striking out 7 in the first three innings, but he gave up a two run homer to the Brewers' Shaw. Robbie through mostly fast balls in the outing
so it was hard to tell about his secondary pitch effectiveness.
Brewers' Kean Broxton was on first when Robbie was pitching. Broxton took off on first movement. With Robbie's leg suspended in mid air, he threw to first and Broxton was
picked off. If a runner is going to go on first movement, it has to be on first movement
TOWARDS HOME. I hope the Dbacks' runners understand this.
With Burgos pitching, Jesus Aguilar came up for the Brewers and cleared the fence
by plenty, just right of center. One might think Burgos' grooved it for him, but the pitch
was a wicked down and in slider, a good pitch, and still it was launched. Aguilar's swing would have made any pro golfer proud. So much for a level swing. So many times we
see hitters swinging over sliders or split-fingers, but if a hitter can adjust his swing
to meet the ball with the bat in a hittable location, good things happen.
Peralta did much the same on a blast off the wall in center. The pitch was about the same place as the one Burgos gave up, but had more of the plate. Peralta appears to be able
to adjust his swing to meet the ball.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 pm 

The first two runners for NED reached in the 1st inning of the semi final game against PR. Then 2 base running blunders by NED occurred. Profar squared to bunt, Simmons was caught assuming the bunt between 2B and 3B. Profar then singled and started celebrating and Yadier Molina threw to 1B to get him standing off the bag. Next batter, Balentein a deep drive to RF 2-0....Could and should be 4-0. Inexcusable. Baseball Gods will make this a 3-2 final.

That said, how about Molina? The first play was more obvious, the second play was him just being heads up and paying attention. I personally think he is HOF.

Correa just hit a 2 run home run to tie it in the bottom half. PR is going to be in the final. Mark my words.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:43 pm 

Puerto Rico walked it off in the 11th. The final was 4-3. If the first inning was played above a crappy middle school level on the base paths, it would have been a 5-3 final, in regulation, with the Dutch awaiting the winner of tomorrow nights contest.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:38 pm 

USA-PR final. I have to admit, even though the Dutch probably should have won last night (Profar :evil: ), this is a better matchup. With all due respect Japan-Holland or USA-Holland was probably not worth watching. (because you know we win or Japan does).

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:23 pm 

R.I.P.
DALLAS GREEN
August 4, 1934 - March 22,2017

Image Image
Together again and forever.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:17 pm 

Thanks, TDS.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:15 am 

Congratulations to team USA on winning the WBC2017. If this is Jimmy Leyland's last hurrah as
a manager, he has gone out in fine style.
Marcus Stroman gets my vote for MVP, no matter who eventually did get it. When it comes down
to one final game, and you can send one guy out there who can hold down the opposition like he did last night, until you have enough runs so they can't catch up, then turn the spotlight on him
because he is the hero. All 5'8" of him. Cheers for the little guys. It's not how big you are, or how hard you throw, but how well you can shut down the other guys. Jim Kaat was praising him
during the game for his ability to mess up the hitters' timing with different variations on his
pitching motion.
And yeah, if the Dbacks had a manager like Jimmy, we just might win a championship also.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:45 am 

Great to see the US win. It was fun watching this year's games. I think it was ultimately good for the health of the tournament that the US didn't win any of the first 3 events, but it's great the could win it this time. It helps grow interest internationally with other teams having done well and this win helps the domestic interest, considering the final rounds are always played here. There are warts (the timing sucks), but it's great for the game to have an international tournament gaining more and more interest.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:24 pm 

Robbie Ray down 5-0 already in the first inning with only one out. :shock:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:45 pm 

TAP wrote:

Robbie Ray tossed out of the game in the middle of the 5th inning by home plate ump after being called out on strikes and complaining. Ray will finish his scheduled spring training pitch count work in the bullpen.

Leaves the game down 6-2.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:45 pm 

TAP wrote:
TAP wrote:

Robbie Ray tossed out of the game in the middle of the 5th inning by home plate ump after being called out on strikes and complaining. Ray will finish his scheduled spring training pitch count work in the bullpen.

Leaves the game down 6-2.

He should never have shaved off the beard. He needs to grow it back

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 pm 

TAP wrote:
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:
On a side note, I'm planning a trip with my family to come out and catch some games during spring break (last week of March) if anyone wants to meet up for a game or two.
shoewizard wrote:
Might be able to do that. Have to see.

PM me when you know exactly what games you are going to and where your seats are.

Ditto here.

In case you guys were wondering what happened to me...Work got in my way of making it to AZ for spring training this year. My wife and daughter seem to be enjoying it without me though! ;)

Page 3 of 4 [ 76 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Gameday Threads