Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Gameday Threads

Page 2 of 4 [ 76 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: 2017 Cactus League ST Games Thread
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:59 pm 

Finally able to watch a game on tv today

Unfortunately that means hearing Bert again, but at least it is baseball!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:10 pm 

Hazelbaker in CF eh ?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:30 pm 

ZG has decent first inning, but FB velo only at 88-89, had one at 90 and one at 87.

He averaged 91.3 leas year.

It's early spring, but all the other pitchers were hitting their velocities in their first starts

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:17 am 

Watched the game today starting in the 4th inning when we had a 4-2 lead, and went on to blow it and lose 6-5. Apparently the outfield in Peoria is a bitch when the sun is out.
Pollock dropped one and so did Pirela for San Diego. The Padscasters did the game and interviewed Travis Jankowski at one point and he said the outfield is very tough with the
sun.
Descalso had a big day with three hits, however in the top of the fifth he was on second. When a ball is hit to the right side, there is no guarantee the runner can make it to third.
The next batter hit a shot right to the first baseman and threw to third getting Descalso into a run down. The batter made it to second, however, as the Padres took forever to
tag him out. He later missed a barehanded pickup causing me to wonder how much they practice bare hand pickups if at all.
Got to see Nakashiro pitch for the first time and he looks pretty good - a positive sign.
Padscasters also pointed out that pitchers can't get so obsessed with the base runners that they mess up their execution of pitches to the plate. Dbacks appear to be working hard
on stolen bases in ST and that's good. Hope to get these things ironed out when they should be - before the games start to count.
Hazelbaker looking good. Padcasters said he started hot last season with St. Louie but still they placed him on waivers and we picked him up. Maybe Hazelbaker starts hot and
has a weakness that other teams pick up on and render him ineffective.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:55 am 

So much for defending that Cactus League Crown. :(

OK I need a reason to watch this year and the only thing that will work is gambling.

Over/Under is now at 77.5 since I am no longer an expert and I have my winnings from Inbee Park's win last night at 25-1 burning a whole in my online wagering pocket I will let you guys decide.

OVER or UNDER 77.5 for your Az Dbacks this year?

Oh ya hate to see it happen but put my $ on a Dodgers/Yankees WS this year.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:16 pm 

The Shadow wrote:
So much for defending that Cactus League Crown. :(

OK I need a reason to watch this year and the only thing that will work is gambling.

Over/Under is now at 77.5 since I am no longer an expert and I have my winnings from Inbee Park's win last night at 25-1 burning a whole in my online wagering pocket I will let you guys decide.

OVER or UNDER 77.5 for your Az Dbacks this year?

Oh ya hate to see it happen but put my $ on a Dodgers/Yankees WS this year.

1. Reason to watch: baseball is a great game, and I am sure I will enjoy some great baseball - played by the OPPOSITION.
If that 77.5 is projected wins for 2017, I would have to bet "under". New manager, new system, still weak pitching, etc.,
And the same old pitching roach....oopsie! I mean "coach".
Indians will represent the AL in the 2017 WS. They came too close last year not to go kamikaze trying to win it all this year.
As for the NL, DOdgers will make the playoffs. By October, we will know the other three teams in the NL playoffs and be
able to pick which of the three will represent the NL in the WS :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:39 pm 

Dbacks came up with a win today against the White Sox. They held a 4-1 lead in the top of 8 when the Chisox had runners on first and second and one out. The batter hit a
comebacker and the pitcher threw to second, and both infielders tried to catch the ball and miraculously one of them did, managed to touch the base, and complete a double play.
Miscommunication on the cover. If that throw had gone into center field it might have ultimately cost the game.
Tijuana Walker had a great start and that is very encouraging. Also, Jake Lamb gave the Dbacks an early 1-0 lead when he ripped a single on a 3-0 pitch. The Soxcasters
said Torey Luv had told them he is going to give more green lights on 3-0, and I love that. They went on to say that frequently the best pitch you will get comes oin 3-0
and I heartily agree. Why give take signs anyway? It just takes a strike away from a hitter. Give your guys all three strikes. By the time they get to the Show, they should
know how to work a count. Downside today was that Goldy struck out twice and I think it was looking both times. Too many times last season he took two fat strikes and was
0-2 way too often.
Soxcasters said that the Dbacks are a good hitting team, but OH, that PITCHING!!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:23 pm 

Walker was very effective. It always helps when facing short attention span hitters like the ChiSox, but they didn't hit anything hard. He has had up and down streaks in the past (I've drafted him in fantasy 2 or 3 times and had to live with his lousy streaks), so he needs to find his groove and stay consistent. Maybe the change in both scenery and coaching will be the spark he needs.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:08 pm 

Been watching todays game on FSAZ on and off

Up 9-8 against Oakland in the top of the 5th right now

Not the best outings from Miller and Archie.

Edit: Oakland now up 14-10 in the top of the 6th

Now 19-10... lol

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:02 pm 

JoeCB91 wrote:
Been watching todays game on FSAZ on and off

Up 9-8 against Oakland in the top of the 5th right now

Not the best outings from Miller and Archie.

Edit: Oakland now up 14-10 in the top of the 6th

Now 19-10... lol

...you can stop.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:11 pm 

It appeared to me this morning that things have been looking up for the Dbacks this spring, and I figured against the Chokeland Pathetics we should be able to continue
on the upward trail. Howwwwwwwwever, The great Shelby Miller didn't have it, Archie didn't have it and with the score 10-9, here comes Jared "The Thriller" Miller.....with the
10 gallon gas can. He walks in the tying run to make it 10-10, assuring that the Dbacks would not lead any more in this one, despite jumping out to a 5-0 lead. Miller issued 4 walks total and it was 15-10 when he was yanked. Before the 6th was done, the boys in green had posted a big, fat ***11*** and went on to win this football game disguised as a baseball game, 21-13. It could be a long summer, boys and girls...girls? did I say girls? didn't we have girls here at one time?
And, of course, we had the celebrated Berp (Bert) doing the game, and despite magnificent efforts by Archie to grow a wonderful beard, Bert wants him to get a razor. I guess that
anyone who doesn't maintain the "pretty boy" image that he bends over backwards to maintiain, is fair game for the buffoon behind the mike. Hey, Bert, REAL MEN have hair, everywhere, and are PROUD TO SHOW IT.
As I tuned in, they are interviewing AJ Pollock and I noted that he kept looking back towards home plate during the interview. Apparently because he knew he was standing
directly in line of a potential foul ball that might hit him in the back, or higher. Yep, never mind that he might get it in the head and get killed, just get that interview.
Most teams I have noted, get their players in a safe place before doing the interview. Not the Dbacks. They could at least get someone to act as a bullpen-guard type "interview guard", but no, they don't think of those things. Players are replaceable.
During the 11 run ambush, Oakland's Nunez hit one down the left field line that cleared the foul pole, or fair pole if you should choose to call it that. This proves those poles are NOT
high enough as apparently the umps had trouble determining if it was a home run or not.
Hopefully, my guts will have lost that nauseated feeling by dinner time. What a joke of a game!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:19 pm 

Ha...Scored 13 runs and lost by 8.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:01 pm 

DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:
Ha...Scored 13 runs and lost by 8.

And Torey Luv showed his inexperience by leaving Jared Miller out there WAY too long (at least two batters too long) when it was obvious he was a lost duck in a thunderstorm. Spring Training, skipper, plenty of pitchers to go around and he had Gibson warming up for what seemed like an eternity and he finally got brought in and put out the inferno.
If you send a guy out to fight a fire, and you give him a hose, and he can't aim it so the
water gets on the fire, why leave him out there? Take the damn hose and give it to some
one who can get it done!! That would seem to me to be quite reasonable.
P.S. The burgers for dinner were great. I'll be all right...maybe by tomorrow morning

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:54 pm 

TheDesertSurfer wrote:
And Torey Luv showed his inexperience by leaving Jared Miller out there WAY too long (at least two batters too long) when it was obvious he was a lost duck in a thunderstorm. Spring Training, skipper, plenty of pitchers to go around

Spring training is about getting in work and pitch counts, not winning and losing. It's like the minor leagues, the amount a pitcher is going to throw is pretty much predetermined before the game even starts. Short of an injury, a manager is going to leave a guy in for a certain number of pitches, even if he's getting bombed and especially this early in the Spring.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:00 am 

David B wrote:
TheDesertSurfer wrote:
And Torey Luv showed his inexperience by leaving Jared Miller out there WAY too long (at least two batters too long) when it was obvious he was a lost duck in a thunderstorm. Spring Training, skipper, plenty of pitchers to go around

Spring training is about getting in work and pitch counts, not winning and losing. It's like the minor leagues, the amount a pitcher is going to throw is pretty much predetermined before the game even starts. Short of an injury, a manager is going to leave a guy in for a certain number of pitches, even if he's getting bombed and especially this early in the Spring.

I only understand winning and losing. Maybe I should just go back to my old ways of ignoring spring training altogether.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:38 am 

Is it too late in free agency to find a kicker? :lol:

That under bet looks better and better every day.

Didnt see the game but the question I have is Sonny Gray done?

If so too bad kid had amazing stuff.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:20 pm 

Not ideal for Greinke against Team Mexico

https://twitter.com/nickpiecoro/status/ ... 6082666496

"Zack Greinke's day is over. 2 2/3 IP, 6, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 K. He topped at 89.5 mph. Lots of hard-hit balls."

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:12 pm 

lol so much for his positive side session the other day. No walks is a plus. He may have been working on command without caring much about results, but that's just my speculation. Would be interested to hear more from Nick or someone who saw the game.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:13 pm 

JoeCB91 wrote:
Not ideal for Greinke against Team Mexico

https://twitter.com/nickpiecoro/status/ ... 6082666496

"Zack Greinke's day is over. 2 2/3 IP, 6, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 K. He topped at 89.5 mph. Lots of hard-hit balls."

"Spring training is about getting in work and pitch counts, not winning and losing. It's like the minor leagues, the
amount a pitcher is going to throw is pretty much determined before the game starts. Short of an injury, a
manager is going to leave a guys in for a certain number of pitches, even if he's getting bombed..." - David B, yesterday
So he got to go out and throw x number of pitches and got his work in. It appears the stats/results don't mean diddley. Work on those pitches and never mind what the batters do with them until the regular season starts,
I guess I'm seeing here. Why do they even bother with the standings? I suppose the only reason they bother
keeping score is to know when nine innings have been played. From what I read, everyone is happy with the team's progress so far. Starting April 2, we will see how far this team has progressed OR regressed.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:11 pm 

The biggest concern for me is if his velo is really going to be around 89 going forward or not. That contract will look even worse if it is the case.

Hopefully once the regular season starts he is throwing 91 again and all this concern is for nothing.

Page 2 of 4 [ 76 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Gameday Threads