Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Gameday Threads

Page 8 of 8 [ 155 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post subject: Re: game 3 NLDS 10/9/2017 lad @ AZ
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 pm 

Good night

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:48 pm 

Damn. A disappointing end to a season that exceeded expectations. Too bad we didn't see the best of the Diamondbacks this series.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:48 pm 

Jansen vs. Goldy
takes strike 1
high and away 1-1
high 2-1
96 and swings late and fouls it 2-2
slider foul right
looking for that century pitch. 100 MPH
fouls another one
all of these are on the outside
outside check swing called ball 3
swings and misses on ball 4 outside
Blue wins 3-1
Blue wins the Series
and that will be the only sweep in the ALDS/NLDS
so we won the wild card game trying to
give us three more games
was it worth it to watch the Dbacks get steamrolled?
It's kinda like watching a movie where the four superheroes are
trying to save the world, and in the end they are all killed and
the world is destroyed. Kinda like when I watched Spiderman and
his girlfriend got killed in the end. Ruined the whole movie
"Oh, somewhere in this favoured land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
But there is no joy in Phoenix—mighty Goldy has struck out."
(Paraphrased from Casey at the Bat, by Ernest Thayer)
and the season is over

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:53 pm 

One of the biggest disappointments here, with JD being a rental and the upcoming payroll questions with contracts for some of the core players going up, this might've been the best shot for this core group.

Hope it isn't the end, but they had such a good shot with so many things falling our way this year and hopefully they can build on it instead of faltering like 2008 and 2012.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:01 pm 

I'm weirdly not even mad, even though I sports-hate the Dodgers and their fans.

Maybe it's because I'm a bit older and I don't quite hang on every win like I used to, or maybe it's because I genuinely, bottom-of-my-heart expected the Dbacks to LOSE 90 games this year rather than win that many, so I'm just grateful we had a fun team to watch and root for. Odds are it's a combination of all of it.

As others have already noted, there are questions abound for this team, starting with payroll and what that will give Hazen to work with. But unlike the last 5+ years, I truly trust that we have a smart person (Hazen) and a smart FO in place to make the best decisions possible with whatever resources they're given. And that feels good as a Dbacks fan since 1995 (yes, I bought an official New Era hat right after the expansion franchise was awarded!).

It's been a fun season with you guys, as always, even if I haven't posted as much. Looking forward to tracking the offseason with all of you!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:05 am 

Tough loss.

At the end of the day this team was going to go as far as Goldy and Greinke could take them. And they took them further than anyone thought likely.

Good season. I Had a lot of fun.

Such is life.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:26 am 

If someone had to told me last year on October 9th we would have been eliminated by the Dodgers in the NLDS the next year, I thought they would have been crazy! Heck even if they said it on Opening day when Madbum hit not 1 but 2 homers I would have wanted what they were drinking! I'm not disappointed it was a great run. Now comes all the questions in the offseason. I think the difference this year could be Mike Haven running things. I don't think we'll go all in like we did after playoff or even good runs in the past ('08, '12, '16). The worst thing we can do and hopefully lesson learned is trying to play the Dodgers style.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:55 am 

This series loss was cast when Greinke couldn't get through four vs. the Rockies and Lovullo made the decision to use Ray in relief to win the wild card game. Not knocking the move (you do what you need to do to win the game in front of you), but that meant a rested Ray wasn't ready for game 1 vs. the Dodgers. The way all the starters pitched down the stretch maybe it doesn't make a difference, but Robbie was a Dodgers killer during the regular season and having him start game 1 was Arizona's best chance for a win. It certainly didn't help that Walker crapped the bed in a "not ready for prime time" effort. He could have picked up his teammates.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 am 

There's also the fact that the Dodgers are a great team. The pitching probably wouldn't have been that much better against anyone else, but LA is firing on all cylinders, which is scary. The Dodgers team that slumped for a while when they were nursing injuries is nowhere to be found. This is the team that was on pace to win 110+ for most of the year. They're the team to beat. Whichever team wins the other series will have their hands full.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:40 am 

Oden wrote:
There's also the fact that the Dodgers are a great team. The pitching probably wouldn't have been that much better against anyone else, but LA is firing on all cylinders, which is scary. The Dodgers team that slumped for a while when they were nursing injuries is nowhere to be found. This is the team that was on pace to win 110+ for most of the year. They're the team to beat. Whichever team wins the other series will have their hands full.

This

Although I think the Cubs are now also the team that won it all last year too. Forget about their first half. Scored 5.7 r/g while allowing just 4.0 over a 45-23 second half ( best in NL) Cubs vs LAD should be 7 game donnybrook

I’m picking Cubs to prevail over LAD but if Nats beat Cubs somehow then I’d pick LAD

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:18 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Oden wrote:

This

Although I think the Cubs are now also the team that won it all last year too. Forget about their first half. Scored 5.7 r/g while allowing just 4.0 over a 45-23 second half ( best in NL) Cubs vs LAD should be 7 game donnybrook

I’m picking Cubs to prevail over LAD but if Nats beat Cubs somehow then I’d pick LAD

I don't think anybody beats LA. They've flipped the switch, which I previously thought wasn't likely. The Cubs stat also discounts that the Dodgers were cruising in the 2nd half. I think LA beats either opponent in 6 or less.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:52 pm 

meant to mention:
Quote:
Kinda like when I watched Spiderman and

Haven't seen it yet...lol. Guess I won't bother now. Thanks for Spoiler.

:lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:54 pm 

JoeCB91 wrote:
pete25 wrote:
That was probably the last at-bat for Martinez in a dbacks uniform.

Knowing our luck he'll hit 35 HRs for the Giants next year

I'm guessing LAD.

He would be better off in AL though.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:37 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
meant to mention:
Quote:
Kinda like when I watched Spiderman and

Haven't seen it yet...lol. Guess I won't bother now. Thanks for Spoiler.

:lol: :lol:

Is Homecoming the one you are thinking about?

That was from a different Spider-Man movie, not the new one. So you're still safe there.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:05 pm 

Yeah, the better team won, but Arizona at their best was not chopped liver. A rested Ray in Game 1 maybe makes things interesting in a short series in which they were able to nick Kershaw for four home runs.

Page 8 of 8 [ 155 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Gameday Threads