Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 52 of 55 [ 1087 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next

Post subject: Re: Paul Goldschmidt
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:41 pm 

Posting what I said on the twitter

Its as simple as this: No Goldy no way to advance thru playoffs. Hope org Takes VERY conservative approach and makes sure he's ok for October

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:09 pm 

Nick Piecoro
@nickpiecoro
Paul Goldschmidt says there's inflammation in his elbow but no structural damage. Said he's available to play.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:31 pm 

Really hope Goldy sits again today, because with the off-day tomorrow he'd end up getting a nice stretch of rest.

I'm not optimistic about that, though, as he keeps saying he's ready to play.

We've already won this series and have a nice cushion in the WC race. One more day off means two more days off. Please rest him, Hazen and Lovullo!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:18 pm 

Looks like he will rest today thankfully

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:50 pm 

It is the smart move. no point in trying to push it.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 pm 

Yup, Paul Goldschmidt is DEFINITELY getting the lifetime deal with the Dbacks after reading this story about Hazen and the Dbacks front office. Fortunately I trust Hazen to do it in the smartest way possible:

Derrick Hall in an ESPN article wrote:
We're lucky in our community to have a player like Shane Doan, who just retired after playing his whole career with the Coyotes, and Larry Fitzgerald with the NFL team, and then Paul Goldschmidt with this team," Hall said. "That's how you build a fan base. Paul Goldschmidt was homegrown. He's All-American -- someone to look up to. He and his wife are at Phoenix Children's Hospital all the time and they're constantly giving back. Everything adds up to say, 'This guy is a fan favorite and a household name.'

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:06 pm 

I don't know, we'll see..

I think he gets an avg annual salary of 30 million, for at least 5 years, maybe even 6 or 7

How are the D backs going to afford that ?

Even if PG is inclined to give the team another hometown discount, whats he gonna do, accept "only 25 Million " avg annual ?

The union would have a cow and give him tremendous pressure if he tried to leave 25 million or more on the table.

The D Backs might pull it off in a way that won't hamstring the organization for half a decade, but I'll believe it when I see.

I love Goldy, I mean he is everything you want in a player. But father time ALWAYS wins. ALWAYS, without exception. Starting from age 32 the clock starts ticking faster and faster.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:12 pm 

Any chance we would do a Bernard Gilkey contract type thing? (owe him until 20XX).

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:21 pm 

Quote:
That's how you build a fan base.

Well, it's certainly easier to overpay a fan favorite than it is to put a winning team on the field more than once every five years. Just for giggles, these are the bottom five MLB teams in attendance this year per ESPN:

Reds
White Sox
Marlins
A's
Rays

I see at least three guys reasonably comparable to Goldschmidt - Longoria, Stanton, and Votto - in that group. Why did the D-backs finish 24th out of 30 in attendance back in 2006 when fan favorite Luis Gonzalez played 153 games for the team?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:35 am 

Pavin Smith becomes trade bait?

Dbacks volunteer to join AL?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:39 am 

Ryan wrote:
Derrick Hall in an ESPN article wrote:
We're lucky in our community to have a player like Shane Doan, who just retired after playing his whole career with the Coyotes, and Larry Fitzgerald with the NFL team, and then Paul Goldschmidt with this team," Hall said. "That's how you build a fan base. Paul Goldschmidt was homegrown. He's All-American -- someone to look up to. He and his wife are at Phoenix Children's Hospital all the time and they're constantly giving back. Everything adds up to say, 'This guy is a fan favorite and a household name.'

Do you think Hall is referencing Goldschmidt's third team all american designation at Texas State?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:39 am 

Quote:
Goldschmidt and his wife, Amy, presented a check for more than $185,000 to Phoenix Childrens Hospital, which plans to expand.

link

Thats just TOO awesome. He makes a lot, but he doesn't make anything near stratospheric money. So this is a huge give, even in relation to his income.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:21 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Quote:
Goldschmidt and his wife, Amy, presented a check for more than $185,000 to Phoenix Childrens Hospital, which plans to expand.

link

Thats just TOO awesome. He makes a lot, but he doesn't make anything near stratospheric money. So this is a huge give, even in relation to his income.

Another reason why I'm a huge Paul Goldschmidt fan.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:01 pm 

Re-sign him. His baseball skills are top 5% and he's a good man with a good heart (and family). Yes, his skill sets could be replaced perhaps cheaper with several players. But he's a proven class act and elite player. Pay him top dollar (he deserves it) and know that we've got a team leader, hard worker and outstanding citizen in our city, state, and clubhouse.

Get 'er done, FO.

2014: What a joke; Team. Manager. GM. CEO. Cindy Brunson. Todd Walsh. Steve Berthiaume. Polo shirts. Entire organization. I want to insert that 18-inch corn dog into each one of their a$$es...slowly. Then re-sell the corn dogs to Dodger fans.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:23 pm 

Jethawker wrote:
Re-sign him. His baseball skills are top 5% and he's a good man with a good heart (and family). Yes, his skill sets could be replaced perhaps cheaper with several players. But he's a proven class act and elite player. Pay him top dollar (he deserves it) and know that we've got a team leader, hard worker and outstanding citizen in our city, state, and clubhouse.

Get 'er done, FO.

Just understand the consequences down the line if they do extend him. When he is 35 he is not going to be as good as he is now. But he will be still be getting paid top dollar for at least a couple years beyond 35. And that will really hamstring the team and the moves they can make to put a winning team on the field.

Will the feel good of extending him still keep us warm at night in 2022-23-24 when the team is losing every year ?

I dont know. Its a tough thing.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:28 pm 

CoughToddHeltoncough

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:45 am 

shoewizard wrote:
Jethawker wrote:

Get 'er done, FO.

Just understand the consequences down the line if they do extend him. When he is 35 he is not going to be as good as he is now. But he will be still be getting paid top dollar for at least a couple years beyond 35. And that will really hamstring the team and the moves they can make to put a winning team on the field.

Will the feel good of extending him still keep us warm at night in 2022-23-24 when the team is losing every year ?

I dont know. Its a tough thing.

Tough, indeed. I wonder if he'll really be playing past 35-36 years of age? (I think of A-Rod).

Always hard to lose a great employee that brings goodness to work and people around him, and deep down is a good guy. What dollar amount do we place on those intangibles? Hard to say, but it's worth something money-wise. And I think Goldy's due this contract, having been patient with the organization. Bottom line is this isn't fun stuff and tough. But good company men are hard to find.

2014: What a joke; Team. Manager. GM. CEO. Cindy Brunson. Todd Walsh. Steve Berthiaume. Polo shirts. Entire organization. I want to insert that 18-inch corn dog into each one of their a$$es...slowly. Then re-sell the corn dogs to Dodger fans.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:46 pm 

The Dbacks already have their Shane Doan/Larry Fitzgerald in Gonzo. Sure, he was not home grown, but he is the face of the franchise around the community and not just at PCH. Archie may soon replace Goldschmidt as the fan favorite, if he hasn't already. I don't see PG and his wife sticking around Arizona once his playing days are over. They'll retire to a small ranch in the Houston area, close to their families.

I think I would rather see the Dbacks spend money on JD for four or five years (with limited or no NT protection), make a couple of runs at the playoffs (thru 2019), and then start the rebuild.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:55 pm 

dbackfanron wrote:
The Dbacks already have their Shane Doan/Larry Fitzgerald in Gonzo. Sure, he was not home grown, but he is the face of the franchise around the community and not just at PCH. Archie may soon replace Goldschmidt as the fan favorite, if he hasn't already. I don't see PG and his wife sticking around Arizona once his playing days are over. They'll retire to a small ranch in the Houston area, close to their families.

I think I would rather see the Dbacks spend money on JD for four or five years (with limited or no NT protection), make a couple of runs at the playoffs (thru 2019), and then start the rebuild.

A valid argument.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:15 pm 

dbackfanron wrote:

As much as I love Goldy, hard to argue with your proposed strategy here. JDM is a damn great hitter. Probably more consistent inside a season than Goldy. PG is a consistent hitter year to,year, but lots of peaks and valleys during the year.

Page 52 of 55 [ 1087 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News