Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 9 of 11 [ 219 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post subject: Re: 2017-18 off season General discussion thread
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:32 am 

Quote:
If the Any MLB team are looking to maximize prospect return, the Diamondbacks probably don't match up well with only 2 Top 100 guys.

FTFY :lol:

Seriously, the D backs system is so thin, they really can't afford to move any top 10 prospects. At very least top 5-6 must be kept, even though they aren't great.

They are in such a vise. If they don't rebuild and sell off assets to re stock the pre arb pipeline, then they just have to hold on and wait out the drafts and the player development process and hope that both the MLB team continues to outperform expectations on the one hand while at the same time several unranked prospects pop up and become genuine MLB roster options.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:07 pm 

ZiPS projections are here, sorry if I missed these anywhere else

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-zips-projections-arizona-diamondbacks/

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:01 am 

Interesting, Feb 1 and still nothing with JDM. Avila had some nice comments yesterday about how glowingly JDM spoke of the Dbacks and the city overall. JDM told Avila it's a great city and an extremely hungry team. Still holding out hope he is not sold on the Boston offer and takes a 2 year 50MM deal here with a player option after year 1 because he likes it here and 50MM is decent security. I know I'm dreaming, but it's free...

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:58 pm 

Bob Nightengale‏Verified account @BNightengale
Free agent JD Martinez, who has a 5-year offer from the #Redsox for at least $120, million has discussed short-term as well as long-term proposals with the #Dbacks

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:30 am 

http://arizonasports.com/story/1407328/ ... -contract/

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:43 am 

I think this thing gets settled before Monday.

2014: What a joke; Team. Manager. GM. CEO. Cindy Brunson. Todd Walsh. Steve Berthiaume. Polo shirts. Entire organization. I want to insert that 18-inch corn dog into each one of their a$$es...slowly. Then re-sell the corn dogs to Dodger fans.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:48 pm 

Heyman and LaCava reporting Dbacks offering 5-100. Heyman saying KK has met with Boras multiple times on JDM. I don't buy the 5 year deal report. Gambo still says only a 1 or 2 year deal. That makes sense. Seems like JDM trying to leverage a little more from Boston.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:34 pm 

From Nick Piecoro:
Jon Heyman reported Thursday that Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick has “met multiple times” with Martinez’s agent, Scott Boras.

Diamondbacks General Manager Mike Hazen sounded his familiar refrain from throughout the winter when it comes to unsigned free agents. He wouldn’t get into specifics.

“I’m not going to comment on any ongoing negotiations other than to say that we’re still very engaged in the entire market,” he said.

Martinez is still out there, with it looking more and more possible he doesn’t really want to be in Boston. The longer that drags out, the more a return to the desert seems possible.

All the details from Nick Piecoro HERE

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:52 pm 

Heyman is a well known shill for Boras.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:52 pm 

Kendrick meeting with Boras. Same as it ever was.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:05 pm 

Catching up on Diamondbacks’ offseason moves with Nick Piecoro

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:20 pm 

Nice recap by Nick. He didn't mention it, but I think the D Bbacks have to still be looking to add an outfielder.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:49 am 

shoewizard wrote:
Nice recap by Nick. He didn't mention it, but I think the D Bbacks have to still be looking to add an outfielder.

Gambo has confirmed this. Said they're still holding out for JDM, but they'll sign or trade for another OF within 48 hours if JDM signs elsewhere. Said they have a few FA options but also a trade option, which he claims is a better player than the FA option, but obviously will cost assets. I'd guess they're looking at Cargo if they go the FA route. My best guess is that you're either going to see JDM, CarGo, or Domingo Santana via trade in RF next year.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:02 am 

98dback wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Gambo has confirmed this. Said they're still holding out for JDM, but they'll sign or trade for another OF within 48 hours if JDM signs elsewhere. Said they have a few FA options but also a trade option, which he claims is a better player than the FA option, but obviously will cost assets. I'd guess they're looking at Cargo if they go the FA route. My best guess is that you're either going to see JDM, CarGo, or Domingo Santana via trade in RF next year.

Or....if they go with Fatty in RF or LF, maybe a guy like Jarrod Dyson fits as left handed caddy and defensive replacement.

That idea was mentioned by Bluebulldog on AZ snakepit. I like it actually.

EDIT: BTW, I was looking to see if Tomas was scheduled to appear at Fan Fest, and he is. Most of the roster is...but if he were to have been held out that would have been a strong indication he won't be on the roster. Showing up for fan fest doesn't guarantee he will be of course, but at this point, we have to count him in until further notice, and include that in our calculations/analysis/speculation.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:25 am 

Updates from MLB Trade Rumors
And Ken Rosenthal

Link

Quote:
It was reported earlier this week by FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman that Diamondbacks managing general partner Ken Kendrick had met with Scott Boras several times this offseason in regards to J.D. Martinez, and The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal (Twitter link) notes that Kendrick and Boras met again as recently as this week. Since the Red Sox appear to be the only other known suitor for Martinez’s services, there still seems to be at least a chance that Martinez could return to Arizona, though some creativity may be required via the design of Martinez’s contract or in how the D’Backs could carve out payroll space to afford him. That is, unless, Boras (who has a history of negotiating directly with owners) can just convince Kendrick to greatly increase what will already be a team record-high payroll in 2018.

Emphasis mine.

Yes, if Boras can convince KK to increase spending, and KEEP IT THERE, in other words not sign JD, but then force Hazen to sell off other pieces to get back to the budget, or refuse to maintain that level of spending in the ensuing years, then hats off, kudos, etc etc.

I’m already happy that they appear to have a budget for the season of 125+, (presuming they don’t cut back just before season starts, which it doesn’t appear they will at this point). And if KK wants to sign JD, and that doesn’t mean cuts elsewhere, or just a one year thing, and then back to the lower 1/3 of team payrolls, then thats great.

I have my doubts, like many others, about the viability of JD on a long term deal due to the reasons that have been discussed Ad Nauseum. But there is little doubt his bat is important to this team as currently constructed. Without him the offense will be dependent on MAJOR steps forward from at least 1 or 2 players, in addition to having no major injuries of course.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:20 am 

Red Sox reportedly considering Logan Morrison as a JD Martinez alternative plan

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:59 am 

shoewizard wrote:
Updates from MLB Trade Rumors
And Ken Rosenthal

Link

Quote:
It was reported earlier this week by FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman that Diamondbacks managing general partner Ken Kendrick had met with Scott Boras several times this offseason in regards to J.D. Martinez, and The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal (Twitter link) notes that Kendrick and Boras met again as recently as this week. Since the Red Sox appear to be the only other known suitor for Martinez’s services, there still seems to be at least a chance that Martinez could return to Arizona, though some creativity may be required via the design of Martinez’s contract or in how the D’Backs could carve out payroll space to afford him. That is, unless, Boras (who has a history of negotiating directly with owners) can just convince Kendrick to greatly increase what will already be a team record-high payroll in 2018.

Emphasis mine.

Yes, if Boras can convince KK to increase spending, and KEEP IT THERE, in other words not sign JD, but then force Hazen to sell off other pieces to get back to the budget, or refuse to maintain that level of spending in the ensuing years, then hats off, kudos, etc etc.

I’m already happy that they appear to have a budget for the season of 125+, (presuming they don’t cut back just before season starts, which it doesn’t appear they will at this point). And if KK wants to sign JD, and that doesn’t mean cuts elsewhere, or just a one year thing, and then back to the lower 1/3 of team payrolls, then thats great.

I have my doubts, like many others, about the viability of JD on a long term deal due to the reasons that have been discussed Ad Nauseum. But there is little doubt his bat is important to this team as currently constructed. Without him the offense will be dependent on MAJOR steps forward from at least 1 or 2 players, in addition to having no major injuries of course.

This feels like AZ offering 1-2 years at 25 or so (same as Boston) and Boras trying to get KK to up the AAV so he can go back to Boston and get the higher AAV on a longer deal. It doesn't really help him negotiate with Boston when AZ is at the same AAV on a shorter deal.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:45 am 

Archie Bradley, Jake Lamb have been ‘all over’ JD Martinez this offseason

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:11 pm 

Looks like the Humidor is a go

https://twitter.com/azcsports/status/963623913577242630

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:06 am 

According to major league sources, the Red Sox’ current five-year offer to J.D. Martinez remains in the vicinity of $100 million — closer to that mark than the $125 million figure that has been reported. In the absence of other obvious suitors willing to push the auction price higher, the team has shown little inclination to bid against itself.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/reds ... story.html

The Arizona Diamondbacks remain engaged in negotiations with J.D. Martinez, and retain a decent chance to keep the free-agent slugging star in spite of a public perception that the Boston Red Sox are the clear favorite. Martinez’s agent Scott Boras recently had a third in-person meeting with D-backs owner Ken Kendrick, as the sides try to find common ground, and one D-backs person expressed a bit more optimism than before regarding their chances to keep the slugger. Sources suggest that the D-backs have broached “creative” ways to keep Martinez. The D-backs don’t have the same revenues or budget as the Red Sox, and have concerns about keeping their franchise first baseman Paul Goldschmidt long-term.

https://www.fanragsports.com/diamondbac ... -martinez/

Page 9 of 11 [ 219 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News