Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 2 of 7 [ 128 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: Re: 2017-18 off season General discussion thread
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:24 am 

D'backs should invite Class A (Mariners) manager Mitch Canham for a tryout. College WS champion from Oregon State under Riley who can still hit at 33. He had personal issues after college that I think shortened his minor league career.

2014: What a joke; Team. Manager. GM. CEO. Cindy Brunson. Todd Walsh. Steve Berthiaume. Polo shirts. Entire organization. I want to insert that 18-inch corn dog into each one of their a$$es...slowly. Then re-sell the corn dogs to Dodger fans.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:05 am 

Strebor wrote:
Got a laugh out of Arizona's position on the payroll room graph here: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/an-esti ... roll-room/

Yeah, you gotta scroll down to 4th Chart for the money shot. haha

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:08 am 

Jethawker wrote:
D'backs should invite Class A (Mariners) manager Mitch Canham for a tryout. College WS champion from Oregon State under Riley who can still hit at 33. He had personal issues after college that I think shortened his minor league career.

I'm all for second chances, and have no idea what his personal issues were. But a 33 year old that hasn't played in 3 years and has never made it to the show couldn't possibly be more than low level filler.

I sense a personal connection here. Is there any chance the Mariners give him a tryout ? If he's managing for them, and still had playing ability, wouldn't they try him out behind the plate ?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:20 am 

shoewizard wrote:

I sense a personal connection here.

Your BS detector never fails.

But it has the potential of being a great movie!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2014: What a joke; Team. Manager. GM. CEO. Cindy Brunson. Todd Walsh. Steve Berthiaume. Polo shirts. Entire organization. I want to insert that 18-inch corn dog into each one of their a$$es...slowly. Then re-sell the corn dogs to Dodger fans.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:24 am 

Well wasn't there a 35 or 36 year old pitcher that the Devil Ray's had? There was a movie about that, too.

(I'm kidding Shoe, I can't think of the movie thouch)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:12 pm 

Justin wrote:
Well wasn't there a 35 or 36 year old pitcher that the Devil Ray's had? There was a movie about that, too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265662/

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ja03.shtml

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:56 pm 

Jethawker wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

I sense a personal connection here.

Your BS detector never fails.

But it has the potential of being a great movie!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Hehe sorry bout that. Wish him the best. Even if he mever makes it back as a player, he’s blessed to be working in baseball. I’ll keep eye out fir him and hope he rises through managerial ranks !

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:16 pm 

TAP wrote:
Justin wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265662/

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ja03.shtml

And of course TAP is on top of it. 8-)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:05 am 

Purple Row, the SB Nation site for the rockies , has a good summation of the off season calendar

Good idea to familiarize yourself with it, as the cycle and rythm to the off season is dictated by this.

One example, Today is an important day.

Quote:
November 20 – Reserve Deadline
This is a big one. Teams have to finalize their 40-man roster ahead of the Rule 5 draft. If teams want to protect an eligible prospect from the draft, they have to be on the team’s 40-man roster by this day. Teams also have to set all of their MiLB rosters to ensure that they’re not stacking players.

The Rule 5 draft itself is on December 14th, the last day of the winter meetings which are from 12/10-14.

Many will remember back in 2005, newly minted Josh Byrnes and his team failed to protect second baseman Dan Uggla He was a bit old for his level, having reached AA in the Southern League at age 25. But still had a very solid season, with a .297 avg and .880 OPS in a pitchers league.

He got plucked by the Florida Marlins in the rule 5 , and all he did during his 6 seasons of pre free agency control was AVERAGE

156 G, 674 PA, .258/.343/.482 112 OPS+, 32 HR 91 RBI, 71 BB, 153 K's, 3 WAR (he wasn't a good defender, averaging -8 def runs per year, otherwise WAR total would have been higher. His oWAR avg was 3.7)

During a Q&A session for fans around mid season in 2006 season when it was clear Uggla was going to be an All Star his rookie season Josh Byrnes was asked why didn't they protect Uggla.

He said they realized they made a mistake right after that deadline, but he was only a couple weeks into the job at that point and he and his staff simply did not have a good handle on everyone in the system yet. When they realized their mistake, they actually appealed to MLB to let them choose their own player in the Rule 5 Draft. MLB said no.

Uggla ended up getting paid very well, making 22 Million over his 3 arb years, as homers pay well in arbitration.

Something to remember when considering Jake Lamb's future. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:57 am 

Jared Miller added to 40-man roster

Details from Nick Piecoro

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:45 am 

This may be a signal of sorts that the team is planning to shift towards in house remedies as opposed to resigning Jorge De La Rosa, or or tendering TJ McFarland.

Miller has earned his shot. Hope he does more with it than some of the other reliever that have had great minor league numbers and struggled in the majors lately.

Leaving two spots open also gives them flexibility for FA signings, or 1 for 2 trades they must be planning.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:50 am 

Nick with more details from Mike Hazen interview

Touches on:
Bradley's Role
Jared Miller
Jason Parks
Strategy behind leaving 2 spots open on 40 man
Dan Haren returning

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:20 am 

Big Day coming on Friday: Non Tender deadline:

Potential Candidates with Estimated Arb amounts

Chris Herrmann , 1.4M
JJ Hoover, 1.6M
TJ MCFarland 1M
Shelby Miller 4.9M

I don't think they Non Tender all these guys, but 1 or 2 are possible. Most think that Miller's FA price tage would exceed 4.9M, and as he has a year of control beyond 2018 to 2019, therefore he has trade value. All this even though Miller is not likely back until mid season. The flip side is that is thats a lot of payroll to give to a guy you won't likely see until July and who knows how effective he'll be immediately after coming back from TJ surgery. With only 105-110 M to play with, it's tricky.

In the end, they might ALL be tendered.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:40 pm 

Hoover and McFarland non tendered. Herrmann survives

Steve Gilbert Twitter

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:03 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
This may be a signal of sorts that the team is planning to shift towards in house remedies as opposed to resigning Jorge De La Rosa, or or tendering TJ McFarland.

Miller has earned his shot. Hope he does more with it than some of the other reliever that have had great minor league numbers and struggled in the majors lately.

Leaving two spots open also gives them flexibility for FA signings, or 1 for 2 trades they must be planning.

Miller's numbers in the upper minors suggest he's not strictly a LOOGY either. His stuff matches up better vs. LHH due to the cutter being his best pitch and his main off-speed being a curveball although that's more of a change speeds pitch more than anything else. The command of the cutter is good enough that he can use it to attack RHH inside and get soft/no contact. He's definitely an upgrade over McFarland, although I'm a bit uneasy handing a bullpen job to a rookie with 0 pitches thrown in MLB without him earning it in Spring. Also it appears Chris Herrmann's offseason hobby is video gaming, my friend tipped me off about his Twitch channel.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:59 am 

Fingers crossed on Miller

On average there are 2 to 3 left handed relievers per year that come out in their first season and give 30 or more innings and 110 or higher ERA+

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:37 am 

shoewizard wrote:
Fingers crossed on Miller

On average there are 2 to 3 left handed relievers per year that come out in their first season and give 30 or more innings and 110 or higher ERA+

With that in mind, it's up to Lovullo to pick and choose the best spots for Miller to pitch in. Build him up at the level and let him gain confidence before using him in big situations. It's not a question of if he has the stuff to succeed, it's a question of having the mental game necessary to be a back-end reliever. While his AAA numbers had him faring better against RHH in the PCL, RHH at the MLB level is a big jump and I think they should put him in favorable match-ups with Bradley finishing his inning if there is a string of RHH up.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:55 pm 

Hey Mike, by the way, I count 37 guys on the 40 man roster, but your snakepit article says 36. I might have made a mistake, but you might want to double check.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:18 pm 

2018 outfield options

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:01 am 

TAP wrote:

The premise of internal options being able to replace JD's production is pretty weak. Actually the only hope there is Tomas, as at least he has power. The odds are VERY long though. Nobody else in the organization even has odds to begin with.

Page 2 of 7 [ 128 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News