Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 6 of 6 [ 109 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post subject: Re: Jd Martinez to the dbacks
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:18 pm 

misterx wrote:
Jerry Crasnick
@jcrasnick
Teams that have reached out early on J.D. Martinez have gotten the impression Scott Boras is looking for something in the $200 million range.

It's not out the realm of possibility that some team ponies up 6/180 for JD, although it doesn't seem likely.

Because of health and defense concerns, hard to see him getting a 6th year.

If 5 years, could the avg annual be as high as 30 and he gets 5/150 ? Possible, but I think if you look at Upton for 5/106, the highest you can reasonably justify for JD is 5/125, in my opinion.

But the markets often surprise us, so we'll see.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:44 am 

Boras thinks the Dbacks should compound their mistake of signing Greinke by signing JD to an outrageous contract.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:25 am 

It's weird, I'll be happy if we re-sign JD but relieved if we don't. Final D'backs' offer should be in the 5/$98M with Fry's fuel points tossed in and a $1.2M boat on Dock A at Scorpion Bay Marina.

2014: What a joke; Team. Manager. GM. CEO. Cindy Brunson. Todd Walsh. Steve Berthiaume. Polo shirts. Entire organization. I want to insert that 18-inch corn dog into each one of their a$$es...slowly. Then re-sell the corn dogs to Dodger fans.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:31 am 

http://arizonasports.com/story/1305569/ ... ion-range/

No matter how much Martinez makes, whether it’s closer to $100 million total or $200 million total, the D-backs will have little to no wiggle room to bring him back unless there was an unforeseen increase in the total team payroll. It’s a tricky predicament for the front office to tackle coming off an extremely successful season.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:01 pm 

I predict someone will be enticed to go north of $150M. One owner will talk himself into adding the top bat on the market as the "missing piece". That guy will rue the last 2 years of the contract - and maybe the first 2 or 3 if Martinez averages 120 games like he has the last 2 years.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 pm 

Teams other than the Diamondbacks will need to consider the Chase Field benefit.

The Diamondbacks will need to consider how much if any the new humidor will negatively affect JD's one true strength, his home runs.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:54 pm 

TAP wrote:
Teams other than the Diamondbacks will need to consider the Chase Field benefit.

The Diamondbacks will need to consider how much if any the new humidor will negatively affect JD's one true strength, his home runs.

I think saying his "one true strength" undersells JD a bit.

He's hit .300 with a .362 OBP over the last 4 years, and it was only his 62 games with the D Backs where he hit Homers at such an incredible pace.

Early in JD's tenure with AZ his batting avg was low but he was hitting homers, and got the "Just Dingerz" label. But he ended up hitting .302 for the D Backs as well.

A humidor would lower his overall numbers presumably, but it would lower everyone elses too. JD wasn't hitting too many cheapies. He crushes the ball. So relative to everyone else, his value could actually conceivably GO UP, as he would probably only lose a few homers while someone like AJ Pollock may see his homer total cut in half. (just an example)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:45 am 

D BACKS have their out with JD hiring Boras. Could not be clearer that they will not be bringing him back

From Derek Hall:

“(We had) some good conversations (before free agency began) and since then he’s sought new representation, so things have changed from those initial conversations,” Hall said. “But J.D. is such a great guy and we’re just glad to know that he enjoyed his time here because we enjoyed him being here, too.”

I never for one second thought it likely they bring him back. I never thought the team would even make a serious offer. The above all but confirms that.

linky

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:14 pm 

Oden wrote:
I predict someone will be enticed to go north of $150M. One owner will talk himself into adding the top bat on the market as the "missing piece". That guy will rue the last 2 years of the contract - and maybe the first 2 or 3 if Martinez averages 120 games like he has the last 2 years.

I've thought for a while that the Giants are going to be the one that signs him as a desperate attempt to keep their window open

Page 6 of 6 [ 109 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News