Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 7 of 8 [ 144 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post subject: Re: Mike Hazen is the new gm
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:26 pm 

The Shadow wrote:
Our guy Todd Walsh might be getting DFAed after making Deadspin today. :shock: :o

http://deadspin.com/woman-claims-fox-sp ... 1789613085

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:36 pm 

I've ran into Walsh before on several occasions at Dbacks games. He is a total ass. I've never been a fan of him.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:28 pm 

I met him once years ago when he was working a UA football game and I was working on the field. We were both running around but he took a second to chat and shake my hand. That one experience was pleasant, but I've also heard plenty of horror stories.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:59 pm 

Ran into him at a Coyotes game once. Wasn't a pleasant experience and I watched how he interacted with other fans. I wasn't impressed.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:04 pm 

Moranall wrote:
ReTired wrote:
Yes, but is that just the way they structured his particular contract?

Yeah. The way Kiley McDaniel tweeted the contract was very specific about Tomas's being upfront (which is common among players signing their first MLB or professional contract; Cuban players don't make a lot of money). McDaniel was all over the international free agency signings before he got hired by the Braves, so I tend to trust him on this matter.

Also, Rusney Castillo's signing bonus was paid up front: here

So, from what I'm reading, signing bonuses can vary in how they're paid out. So we're still kind of in the dark with how Tomas's bonus was paid out.

I'm hoping Tomas's was paid out in year 1, because that makes him a bit more tradeable.

Judging by his rapid weigh gain I suspect it was.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:11 pm 

Arizona Diamondbacks
@Dbacks
#Dbacks name Mike Fitzgerald as Director of Research & Development.

He spent the last 5 seasons as a quantitative analyst for the Pirates.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:23 pm 

Todd Walsh is a douchebag? :o :o :o :roll:

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:55 pm 

I've never interacted with him, but I've seen a few things online with people saying he was a douche when they met him and I'd believe it

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:57 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
It may not make sense, and you may be looking at sites that are not clear on how to show it, but thats the way it's done.

We were told this face to face by D Backs CEO at the time Jeff Moorad back in 2005, and I subsequently learned this to also be true when I worked for the team from 2007-2010

Some teams may do it slightly differently, but thats essentially it.

EDIT: I should also add from player's perspective obviously the tax liability is going to be higher if they take the bonus all in one payment up front.

I haven't seen the agreement and don't work in the industry, so the following is pure speculation. For the purposes of the agreement, the two sources of income are likely treated differently in the event of a for cause termination, suspension without pay or any other provision that impacts pay. The base salary would be subject to these provisions while the bonus, on the theory that it was earned upon signing, would not.

Again, pure speculation.

ETA: This post is meant to support your position, not directly respond to it.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:44 pm 

seems to make sense from a legal standpoint. thanks for the inpput

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:02 pm 

http://m.dbacks.mlb.com/news/article/21 ... n-compete/
Yep, here we go AGAIN. With all the genius moves the new GM has made and all the GREAT talent we have, he says we're going to compete for a spot in the 2017 post-season. Someone should awaken the GM to the reality that there are two teams in the NL West who OWN IT.
No mention here of finishing with a winning season, which would be quite an improvement. The old refrain of "Playoffs Or Nothing" continues to play endlessly on the juke box. No team that finished at .500 or lower ever made the post season. I like the promising prospect of improved play in 2017,
but until the Giants or Dodgers have a bad season, forget about playoffs.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:35 pm 

Playoffs :lol:

Best case great season battle for 3rd with Rockies who I think will be better this year.

Worst case finish last beaten out by a Padres team that has a 1 year head start on us in their rebuilding plan.

What will probably happen 4th place spinning wheels on full blown rebuild or keep on keeping on.

Expectations for the future of this franchise or any sports in the state of Arizona have never been lower. :evil:

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:51 pm 

Suns are never leaving.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:09 pm 

Justin wrote:
Suns are never leaving.

Never say, "Never." ;)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:33 pm 

TheDesertSurfer wrote:
http://m.dbacks.mlb.com/news/article/215599840/gm-hazen-believes-arizona-d-backs-can-compete/
Yep, here we go AGAIN. With all the genius moves the new GM has made and all the GREAT talent we have, he says we're going to compete for a spot in the 2017 post-season. Someone should awaken the GM to the reality that there are two teams in the NL West who OWN IT.
No mention here of finishing with a winning season, which would be quite an improvement. The old refrain of "Playoffs Or Nothing" continues to play endlessly on the juke box. No team that finished at .500 or lower ever made the post season. I like the promising prospect of improved play in 2017,
but until the Giants or Dodgers have a bad season, forget about playoffs.

He's still running a business that requires selling tickets. What is he supposed to say,"hey fans, ticket-holders, and/ or prospective purchasers, we really suck. We shouldn't even play the season. Please, other teams, make your offers because we're selling whatever talent we have left".

The guy just arrived. I think he's being smart by letting the first few months of the season play out. If we aren't competitive, then he can sell assets. So what if he says he feels good about he team? Hurts nothing. Now if he went out and started signing a bunch of expensive veterans, that would be one thing, but he isn't. He's setting this up to have some cheap, high upside pieces, and if everything goes right, maybe the team is more competitive than expected. If not, he can start to sell off assets in June/ July.

I'd be more inclined to watch what he does, rather than what he says to the media prior to the season. At minimum, I think he's going to be better than the recent guys as far as devaluing our own assets prior to trading them for cents on the dollar.

Last edited by 98dback on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:13 pm 

Another consideration is that the market is not good for the most expensive contracts, and KK may not be willing to eat considerable payroll to move them without attempting to increase their value first.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:22 am 

ReTired wrote:
Another consideration is that the market is not good for the most expensive contracts, and KK may not be willing to eat considerable payroll to move them without attempting to increase their value first.

Quite possible. I think I'd take the gamble that Greinke will get off to a better start and have a better feel for pitching in Chase, be healthier to start the year (KK knows better than anyone how Greinke is health-wise), and therefore, be much more valuable a few months into the year than he is now.

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:30 am 

I'm starting to love this new GM. If only DH and KK can stay out of the way and give him a workable budget we might have something.

Remember 2 days ago the internet and sports radio all abuzz about Doug Fister?

Talked with an old friend late last night and it looks like the agent was trying to play teams in to signing him. Remember how it was reported close to going down.

Nice job Mr. Hazen I can remember a couple former proven vet GM kinda guys who would have bit at that bait!

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:11 pm 

So far so good, not perfect but infinitely better than KT, TLR/DS and even Byrnes.

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:19 pm 

Personally, I wouldn't say "even" Byrnes. That kind of implies that he is the "best" of the 3 (remember Gutbuster? Quails? Some of that other, "throw a bunch of shit against a wall and see what sticks" bullpen construction)

Page 7 of 8 [ 144 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News