Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 1 of 8 [ 144 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Post subject: Mike Hazen is the new gm
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:05 am 

https://twitter.com/Dbacks/status/787715353321144321

Post subject: Re: Mike Hazen is the new gm
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:28 am 

sounds good to me. I saw one of the options was ned colletti. I like this route much better.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:41 am 

He looks great on paper. I think we may have hired a smart person for the first time since Josh Byrnes (who also came from the Red Sox, interestingly).

I am genuinely optimistic for the first time, aside the fleeting moment after the Greinke signing, in literally years.

Now I just hope that KK and Hall STAY OUT OF HAZEN'S WAY let him rebuild properly. Trust in the smart person you hired, Ken and Derrick.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:55 am 

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 4m4 minutes ago
One of the highest-ranking Red Sox officials says "Mike Hazen is Theo. He could be a CEO in any business."

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:00 pm 

Ryan wrote:
He looks great on paper. I think we may have hired a smart person for the first time since Josh Byrnes (who also came from the Red Sox, interestingly).

I am genuinely optimistic for the first time, aside the fleeting moment after the Greinke signing, in literally years.

Now I just hope that KK and Hall STAY OUT OF HAZEN'S WAY let him rebuild properly. Trust in the smart person you hired, Ken and Derrick.

I agree with this. I am just worried the ownership is going to stick their nose into this and give him a mandate to compete without giving him the resources to do it. Let the GM work with his plan and if that is a complete fire sale and tear down like the Astros/Braves so be it.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:26 pm 

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 2yrs in the future
@dbacks have parted ways with Hazen regarding his lack of polo wearing at the #WinterMeetings. Kendrick and dhall press conference Monday at 10am.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:35 pm 

I echo what others have said that this is an excellent hire. I also echo that ownership needs to stay out of the guy's way and let him do his job.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:43 pm 

Hazen looks like an ideal candidate on paper. He's learned the ropes in a proper organization and seems to have all of the relevant experience.

My concerns:

1. This is a lateral move to one of the worst organizations in baseball. Did he not have a better opportunity elsewhere? Even if the official story is that he wanted more autonomy, Arizona isn't the place for that if the last decade is any indication.

2. He's "only" a GM here, which is nominally a lesser role than what LaRussa had as of just a few weeks ago. Will he have the authority and resources necessary to do what needs to be done?

3. Derrick Hall hired him. I have no confidence in his judgment when it comes to baseball ops.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:50 pm 

Look for Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo to be the front runner for the managerial opening.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:54 pm 

Someone who apparently isn't in the baseball stone age? I'm optimistic here.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:11 pm 

Have to wonder why a guy born and raised in Mass. would make a lateral move away from the Red Sox to an organization that doesn't seem to value anything new as far as baseball ops. In addition, OLD SCHOOL TLR will still probably have the ear of KK and DH and could potentially undermine MH.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:58 pm 

Strebor wrote:
Hazen looks like an ideal candidate on paper. He's learned the ropes in a proper organization and seems to have all of the relevant experience.

My concerns:

1. This is a lateral move to one of the worst organizations in baseball. Did he not have a better opportunity elsewhere? Even if the official story is that he wanted more autonomy, Arizona isn't the place for that if the last decade is any indication.

2. He's "only" a GM here, which is nominally a lesser role than what LaRussa had as of just a few weeks ago. Will he have the authority and resources necessary to do what needs to be done?

3. Derrick Hall hired him. I have no confidence in his judgment when it comes to baseball ops.

1) Not quite a lateral move. He was GM in Boston. He's GM and Executive VP here. That may be meaningless except to justify him moving, I don't know. But it's not *technically* a lateral move. I also wonder if he wanted to be "the guy" in an organization. In Boston, Dombrowski is that guy both organizationally and public perception-wise. He is The Guy here*.

2) See #1. Also there is no CBO in AZ anymore, so Hazen is the boss*

3) I'm with you there, but remember that KK and DH repeatedly claimed they were going to be seeking a lot of outside advice and counsel on this. I also like the fact that this was all handled very privately, and (for once) we didn't read about the whole damn process in the papers. That's a good sign to me.

I'm optimistic because so far, KK and DH are making the right moves. And honestly, as a die-hard Dbacks fan, I hit rock-bottom with this organization a while ago. I have no course left except optimism.

Now if only they'd admit the uniforms are a mistake too and get rid of those... (On that note, are MLB merchandise sales rankings ever released/made public? I'd be curious to know where AZ was and where they are after this year. I'll bet they've barely moved up, if at all, and after the "novelty" of the new stuff wears off next season, they'll end up LOWER than they ever were before.)

(*again, if KK and DH stay out of the way)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:20 pm 

Cautiously optimistic.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:33 pm 

Quote:
Jeff PassanVerified account
‏@JeffPassan
Sources: Whatever Tony La Russa's role is defined as, he still has power with Arizona. Sat in with owner Ken Kendrick on GM interviews.

If this is true I won't expect much improvement in the ownership/Hall/TLR crew staying hands off the baseball ops and out of Hazen's way.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:34 pm 

Ugh, why can't they just let Tony go

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:20 pm 

the goat wrote:
Quote:
Jeff PassanVerified account
‏@JeffPassan
Sources: Whatever Tony La Russa's role is defined as, he still has power with Arizona. Sat in with owner Ken Kendrick on GM interviews.

If this is true I won't expect much improvement in the ownership/Hall/TLR crew staying hands off the baseball ops and out of Hazen's way.

That doesn't mean he has power, only influence. The thing I find interesting is no mention of Hall, who he reports to. Perhaps one of the reasons for Hall's 8 year deal is to keep him happy being only a figurehead for baseball activities.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:41 pm 

Ryan wrote:
Now if only they'd admit the uniforms are a mistake too and get rid of those...

AMEN to that.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm 

David B wrote:
Look for Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo to be the front runner for the managerial opening.

With Chili Davis as hitting coach.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:43 pm 

Ryan wrote:
1) Not quite a lateral move. He was GM in Boston. He's GM and Executive VP here. That may be meaningless except to justify him moving, I don't know. But it's not *technically* a lateral move. I also wonder if he wanted to be "the guy" in an organization. In Boston, Dombrowski is that guy both organizationally and public perception-wise. He is The Guy here*.

2) See #1. Also there is no CBO in AZ anymore, so Hazen is the boss*

3) I'm with you there, but remember that KK and DH repeatedly claimed they were going to be seeking a lot of outside advice and counsel on this. I also like the fact that this was all handled very privately, and (for once) we didn't read about the whole damn process in the papers. That's a good sign to me.

I'm optimistic because so far, KK and DH are making the right moves. And honestly, as a die-hard Dbacks fan, I hit rock-bottom with this organization a while ago. I have no course left except optimism.

Now if only they'd admit the uniforms are a mistake too and get rid of those... (On that note, are MLB merchandise sales rankings ever released/made public? I'd be curious to know where AZ was and where they are after this year. I'll bet they've barely moved up, if at all, and after the "novelty" of the new stuff wears off next season, they'll end up LOWER than they ever were before.)

(*again, if KK and DH stay out of the way)

Hazen is still listed as a "Senior Vice President & General Manager" for Boston. Literally everyone in their Executive Office is a VP of some grade. Stewart was a Senior VP here, so it looks like a lateral move for all intents and purposes.

Boston had a very long time to evaluate Hazen and they chose to go with Dombrowski last year and they chose not to lock Hazen up to a huge deal to make sure he stayed. That makes me wonder.

When Stewart was initially trying to get become a GM, he basically went to a new organization each year until he gave up and became an agent. It's pretty obvious now why none of those teams went out of their way to make sure they kept him in the fold. The Dodgers passed on promoting Watson, who then made a lateral move to Arizona and was the point man for Lopez and Tomas.

If Atlanta or St. Louis had hired Hazen, I'd be far more optimistic and think that he's the sort of person the D-backs should target. If the D-backs announced that they'd hired Epstein today, I'd ask what was secretly wrong with Epstein that forced him to settle for a job here.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:03 pm 

It's not lateral since he now has Tony's job, as well as Stewart's,
Quote:
In that position, Hazen will be in a position of ultimate authority in Arizona’s decision-making structure. In Boston, he was subordinate to Dombrowski, who is president of baseball operations.

Page 1 of 8 [ 144 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News