C: Castillo
IF: Goldschmidt, Segura, Ahmed, Lamb
OF: Pollock, Peralta, Tomas

Catcher #2 looks to be down to Gosewisch and Herrmann -- both guys can't hit
Bench candidates: Owings, Drury, OBrien, Brito, Gosselin

SP: Greinke, Miller, Corbin, delaRosa, #5
RP: Ziegler, Clippard, Collmenter, Hudson, Delgado

#5 candidates: Godley, Bradley, Ray
Bullpen candidates: Marshall, Reynolds, Barrett, Chafin, Burgos, Wagner, Wright, LeCure

Post subject: Re: 2016 Opening Day Roster
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:21 pm 

Catcher: Almost sure they will go with Tuffy, but Herrmann out of options. He could make the roster anyway as left handed "bat" off the bench, and backup first base and emergency catcher. Of course this is complicated by the fact that he can't hit...as you point out.

Infield: I still think they will trade an infielder before the end of spring. Which one is anybody's guess. If they don't, either Owings or Gosselin will need to go to Reno. Didn't check options situation for both of them...but assume they can both go.

Outfield: Health creating a lot of questions here. Will Pollock's elbow be OK ? What about Tomas's knee ? I'm sure that Brito will be on the roster, but the question is will he be starting over Tomas, who then becomes a bench player, filling in for an injured Pollock in CF, or Will Brito be the 4th outfielder ? O'brien is still who he is.....terrible outfielder, a true liability in LF, but he can hit with power.

For position players, IF ALL HEALTHY, and if they are going with 13 Position players and 12 pitchers, I'd guess the following 10 are "locks"

Castillo/Tuffy
Goldy/Segura/Ahmed/Lamb
Brito/Pollock/Peralta/Tomas

That means they have to pick 3 players from Drury/Gosselin/Owings/O'brien/Herrmann. Options will impact this.

They might give Drury some time in the OF, and I really think they want his bat on the roster, so I'm going to pick him as #11. After that, I just don't know.

Pitching staff:

I think Ray is going to be the #5. I think they actually like him better than Rubby, and were just propping up Rubby's ego by naming him as number 4. I could be wrong.

For the bullpen, you left Bracho off as one of the options. I'm pretty sure they will use at least one lefty.....Chafin, and if they want to, then Reynolds, and every one else is in Reno or Mobile waiting their turn to rotate in when guys are ineffective or hurt.

However I have a tough time figuring how they leave Bracho off the roster. I think they should try to package Delgado along with an infielder and see what they can get, give his spot to Bracho, and use two lefties in the pen. Delgado is no longer Arb Eligible after 2016 anyway. So he will no longer be able to give up homeruns cheaply.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:22 pm 

I think you have to have Brito in there every day over Tomas.

I just love what we've seen out of him this spring.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:51 pm 

Collmenter's fastball was flying at Jered Weaver speeds tonight, wonder how much he has left and how much rope he has with the team.

His delivery fooled people before, but not when most of his fastballs were in the 79-82 MPH range tonight.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:18 pm 

No surprise here. I have always thought he was a fluke, and once the OMG TOMAHAWK DELIVERY wore off, he would be who he is. A shitty, soft tossing, middle relief pitcher.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:53 am 

I think Delgado stays and Collmenter goes. Delgado becomes the primary long relief guy. I believe Drury goes to AAA so he can play every day and perhaps get more time in the OF. I would definitely start Brito over Tomas. Gosselin is the utility guy.

As rosters are cut down, I think the FO might be on the lookout for a backup catcher that can hit some.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:29 am 

Here's the out of options list for 2016 according to MLBTR

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/03/o ... -2016.html

Quote:
Diamondbacks

Welington Castillo, Randall Delgado, Chris Herrmann

I really don't remember how Drury's defense at 3B was coming up in the minors. I think Lamb and Drury could make a filthy 3B platoon. I'd rather see Lamb get full time ABs vs LHP for awhile and then fall back on the platoon if need be.

Then O'Brien, read a piece somewhere that said he's been serviceable in the OF this spring... anyone know if that was just a fluff piece? Not like Tomas is any good out there anyway.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:32 pm 

From what I've seen of O'Brien this ST he has no problem catching easy fly balls. Anything hit directly at him and he has trouble judging the depth. I saw one go over his head on Monday where he just froze for a second. If his first step would have been back he (and 99% of MLB OF'ers) would have caught it. Anything hit to the side and he's not getting to it quickly.

So, he's not good. He's going to give up runs on D. It's strange that someone who has excellent hand-eye coordination to hit has trouble picking up a fly ball, but I think it can be learned to some degree with practice. I think he's a 1B/DH and they should trade him sooner rather than later. He's not a fit on this team at all.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:25 pm 

Dre wrote:
Here's the out of options list for 2016 according to MLBTR

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/03/o ... -2016.html

Quote:
Diamondbacks

Welington Castillo, Randall Delgado, Chris Herrmann

I really don't remember how Drury's defense at 3B was coming up in the minors. I think Lamb and Drury could make a filthy 3B platoon. I'd rather see Lamb get full time ABs vs LHP for awhile and then fall back on the platoon if need be.

Then O'Brien, read a piece somewhere that said he's been serviceable in the OF this spring... anyone know if that was just a fluff piece? Not like Tomas is any good out there anyway.

Definite fluff. Tomas > O'brien in the Outfield and its not very close at all. Yeah......I know.

Thanks for the info on Options. Good to know.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:59 pm 

Godley and Bradley have been making the decision for the 5th starter pretty easy the last two days.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:58 pm 

Dre wrote:
I think Lamb and Drury could make a filthy 3B platoon. I'd rather see Lamb get full time ABs vs LHP for awhile and then fall back on the platoon if need be.

I don't think either would benefit from a platoon.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:52 am 

Herrmann over Tuffy

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:48 pm 

I was Tuffy's biggest supporter by far last season. Local kid and Sun Devil deserved a shot at the starting catcher position on a team that wasn't really going anywhere. This season it was obvious the Dbacks needed to move on. I hope Tuffy stays with the organization, even after his playing days are over.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:13 pm 

Some stuff off of Piecoro's twitter page

"Hale says Lamb will start at third and Segura, Ahmed and Owings will rotate around at second and shortstop."

(Gilbert also had a post that said Owings could play some 3B if Drury doesn't make the roster, which seems dumb to me)

"Collmenter will start on the disabled list, Hale says."

"Hale said Herrmann's lack of minor league options played into decision to keep him. Wanted to be sure club maintained depth throughout year."

"Hale sort of made it sound like Brito could make this team, what with the team not wanting to ask too much of Pollock early on."

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:21 pm 

Pollock hurt http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/m ... /82543962/

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:30 pm 

I don't expect to see AJ before the end of April. Needs to be completely shut down for at least two weeks.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:41 pm 

Obviously it looks like it is going to be even longer now.

Not the way we wanted Brito to make the roster.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:23 am 

Michael Bourn and Emilio Bonifacio available.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:08 am 

BBRef has the D-backs position players at 30.6 WAR in 2015 - Inciarte and Pollock contributed 12.7 of that.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:50 am 

Here is a look at what could be a regular 1-2-3 in the lineup for the Dbacks now

https://twitter.com/Dbacks/status/716280828334968832

Segura 2B
Owings CF
Goldschmidt 1B
Peralta RF
Tomás DH
Lamb 3B
Drury LF
Herrmann C
Ahmed SS

Ray P

Segura and Owings batting in front of Goldy could really hurt his production. Tough to drive in runs when you don't have guys that are good at getting on base in front of you.

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News