Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 11 of 11 [ 204 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Post subject: Re: Dbacks get Shelby Miller
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:58 pm 

They can get a couple of good relievers for $5M.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:17 pm 

98dback wrote:
dirtygary wrote:
Are the dbax in the financial position to gamble $5M on half a season coming off TJ recovery versus investing those resources in a more reliable product?

This seems like an easy call. Non-Tender, move on from that debacle of a transaction, and allow internal prospects to grow into the rotation.

This all depends on Kendrick's mindset. If he really thinks this team has a run in it, I'm not so sure he wouldn't elevate the payroll next year. And the good thing about a deal like Miller's is that you're not signing a guy to multi year deal and elevating the payroll into the future. It's simply a 1 year play.

Not that I think it's possible, (And whether or not they should is another great question) but if they are trying to sign JD they have to come up with over 20M a year, and Miller is as good a place as any to find some room

But as 98 said above, if they are not trying to bring back Martinez, Gambling the 5M on Miller is defensible at least, even if it might not be MY choice.

I really have very little confidence that Miller will be good at all in 2018.....not enough to "rebuild trade value" anyway.

Not everyone feels the same as I do about that. In fact, most probably don't. But the only opinion that matters ultimately is Mike Hazen's. It's gonna be interesting.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:23 pm 

With JD hiring Scott Boras as his agent, I doubt the Dbacks have any chance of signing him. Boras will be looking for 5/$120M at a minimum for JD, and more likely 6/$175M.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:35 am 

dbackfanron wrote:
With JD hiring Scott Boras as his agent, I doubt the Dbacks have any chance of signing him. Boras will be looking for 5/$120M at a minimum for JD, and more likely 6/$175M.

I can't see anyone paying a one dimensional 30 year old nearly 30mm per for 6 years. Boras may try, but I think he ends up around 22 per on a 5-6 year deal. Maybe someone would go higher on AAV on a shorter (4 yr) deal. 6 at 30mm per at age 30 is idiotic even for one of the premier hitters in the game.

Page 11 of 11 [ 204 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News