Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 3 of 5 [ 91 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Zack Greinke to the DBACKS
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:16 pm 

matt wrote:
Holy shit, I'm impressed. I never would have thought that would do it

Yep, I totally misjudged their level of commitment--or at least their level of throwing money around. Makes sense though. If they're committed to Goldschmidt, they need to be committed to putting the pieces around him.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:20 pm 

It would be great to watch Arizona dominate their division again.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:44 pm 

As someone who's been extremely critical of the Dbacks front office ever since Towers was hired, I must now commend LaRussa, Stewart, and Co. This is a power move that shows they want to actually win and not just pretend to, that they're willing to spend that new TV deal money, and that they're capable of bringing a major free agent to AZ.

Props to them too for going for it during Goldy and Pollock's prime -- and screwing over (not to mention weakening) LA and SF in the process. They're not ready yet -- they still have SP and RP holes and I still don't think Leake is a good use of money. But they're in the conversation now, for the first time in a long time.

I was and still am in total shock over this. And I gotta say, it's nice to be shocked by the Dbacks FO in a GOOD way for once. :-)I am legitimately excited and instead of now catching a random AZ-SF series once a year, I'm going to make a point to go to AT&T Park and cheer Zack and the team on whenever he pitches up here. They're still not getting a dime from me on merchandising though. The uniforms are still awful, hehe. But bring on Opening Day!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:27 pm 

So much wow!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:34 am 

I have to say I'm truly shocked over this. Ive always been nervous to pay big money to players though. But its nice to see a team I root for go big for a Elite player. My question is, how can we get another arm for the rotation? Trade Bradley?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:58 am 

Fido wrote:
I have to say I'm truly shocked over this. Ive always been nervous to pay big money to players though. But its nice to see a team I root for go big for a Elite player. My question is, how can we get another arm for the rotation? Trade Bradley?

I think they need to focus on shoring up the pen a little more, and upgrade a bit either at catcher and / or middle infield, especially 2b....unless Drury breaks out and is the answer at 2b

Rotation doesn't really need another arm

Greinke 200 IP, 125 ERA+, 4 WAR
Corbin 180 IP, 115 ERA+, 3 WAR
Ray 180 IP, 105 ERA+, 2 WAR
Rubby 180 IP, 90 ERA+, 1 WAR

Anderson/Blair/Bradley/Godley combine for 230 IP and 85- 90 ERA+, or another 1.-2.0 WAR, and there is potential there for one of these 4 to be good enough to bump this portion up.

That rotation, 8 staarters, can reasonably be expected to give the team 11-12 WAR.

Throw in another 3-4 WAR from the bullpen and they are closing in on 15 Pitching WAR.

And thats VERY conservative.

If they approach the 30+ WAR they got from position players last year, thats 45 WAR, or the equivalent of a 92-93 Win Team.

Of course they might not get 30+ WAR from position players again like they did in 2015, but barring a rash of injuries, they will get at least 25. That still puts them at 87-88 Wins.

They are right there .......instead of another Starting Pitcher, they can get more bang for the buck in other areas at this point.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:19 am 

I am so excited :D

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:33 am 

Wouldn't we have preferred to sign Price and gotten a 7th yr and kept the #13 draft pick for basically the same money?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:05 am 

shoewizard wrote:
Fido wrote:

I think they need to focus on shoring up the pen a little more, and upgrade a bit either at catcher and / or middle infield, especially 2b....unless Drury breaks out and is the answer at 2b

Rotation doesn't really need another arm

Greinke 200 IP, 125 ERA+, 4 WAR
Corbin 180 IP, 115 ERA+, 3 WAR
Ray 180 IP, 105 ERA+, 2 WAR
Rubby 180 IP, 90 ERA+, 1 WAR

Anderson/Blair/Bradley/Godley combine for 230 IP and 85- 90 ERA+, or another 1.-2.0 WAR, and there is potential there for one of these 4 to be good enough to bump this portion up.

That rotation, 8 staarters, can reasonably be expected to give the team 11-12 WAR.

Throw in another 3-4 WAR from the bullpen and they are closing in on 15 Pitching WAR.

And thats VERY conservative.

If they approach the 30+ WAR they got from position players last year, thats 45 WAR, or the equivalent of a 92-93 Win Team.

Of course they might not get 30+ WAR from position players again like they did in 2015, but barring a rash of injuries, they will get at least 25. That still puts them at 87-88 Wins.

They are right there .......instead of another Starting Pitcher, they can get more bang for the buck in other areas at this point.

Good points, and I'm not that excited about Leake if those rumors are true. I'd love for Bradley to get close to his potential and make the rotation look fantastic.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:49 am 

Part of me wonders who got through to KK and what was said to get him to open the purse strings. Thinking back on it, making this type of splash is very much out of character in the KK era.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:55 am 

wedge wrote:
Part of me wonders who got through to KK and what was said to get him to open the purse strings. Thinking back on it, making this type of splash is very much out of character in the KK era.

I'm also wondering if the FO was actually in on Cueto, or if it was all a brilliant ploy to intentionally lowball him, knowing he'd say no, and then use that as a smokescreen to swoop in on Greinke.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:23 pm 

wedge wrote:

DHall was on channel 3 Friday showing off the new unis and he stated (as I believe he has before) that ownership puts every penny back into the product on the field. I rolled my eyes, but this time they backed it up. I'm sure it was a group decision and I think their competitive spirit said lets go for it. Knowing that the Dodgers and Giants have the deep pockets, you can either be a 2nd tier team in your own division for the foreseeable future or you can try to compete.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:31 pm 

Ryan wrote:
wedge wrote:

I'm also wondering if the FO was actually in on Cueto, or if it was all a brilliant ploy to intentionally lowball him, knowing he'd say no, and then use that as a smokescreen to swoop in on Greinke.

I seriously doubt the organization would put that much effort into wooing Cueto as just a smoke screen. They were willing to spend the money to get Cueto and made a legit offer. When he said no they changed their focus to another pitcher.

So, they weighed all of the options between free agents and trades. When teams wanted Pollock in return they decided that was too steep a price to pay, so their better option was to sign a free agent. After Cueto, they somehow decided to offer Greinke what he was wanting. He was probably the only pitcher they were willing to lose the draft pick for.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:01 pm 

What about Murphy at 2B, Trade for Bullpen...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:20 pm 

What a fantastic surprise. I hope ownership keeps the foot on the pedal. This team still has some black holes.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:24 pm 

qudjy1 wrote:

I'd rather have Zobrist if we're gonna shop for a 2B. Murphy has a cast-iron glove.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:04 pm 

qudjy1 wrote:

No..

Very poor defender. Will not age well

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:48 pm 

Still can't get sucked in on 2-war free agents for $15M/yr. Gotta be able to fill the role-player spots with the internal $550k options.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:19 pm 

Happy to see the move, but don't stop now. The draft pick cost to sign another free agent or 2 is minimized. In for a penny, in to a pound. Time to build a winner and hit the window now.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:29 am 

Crow its what for dinner. Hope to be eating some more too!

No one saw this coming. National media had him signing with the Dodgers or Giants. No one in the local media, well with few exceptions they just dont have a clue.

I like some others here want to know how it happened. How it went down.

Who was THE GUY who convinced KK to open up the cash flow. Was it TLR, DH, or maybe Stew with that comment after they lost Cueto that it was up to ownership.

There is still work to do. Lets hope they are not done yet. You know the Dodgers and Giants are not standing pat.

This doesnt win us the division but gosh darn it we are at least making some noise and in a good way for a change!

Page 3 of 5 [ 91 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News