Post subject: Re: Diamondbacks Franchise Four
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:07 am 

Nolan Ryan a Franchise Four for 3 different teams! :shock:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:59 am 

Webby should have been one of the four.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:32 am 

Schilling out, Webb in. I realize we have a banner because of what Schilling did with RJ51... but 6 years, a CY Young (with 2 runners up) and 3 allstar appearances I think outweigh Schilling's accomplishments here. I am going by what Webb meant to the organization as a whole. Not just as RJ's co-ace for a couple years. With all due respect to Schilling, we drafted Webb, developed him and (unfortunately, because of The Injury) only pitched here. Webb is 2rd WAR as a Dback, only RJ51 is ahead of him. That's right kids, GONZO is 3rd! (then Schilling and Goldy occupying the 4th and 5th spots.)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:07 am 

Justin wrote:
Schilling out, Webb in. I realize we have a banner because of what Schilling did with RJ51... but 6 years, a CY Young (with 2 runners up) and 3 allstar appearances I think outweigh Schilling's accomplishments here. I am going by what Webb meant to the organization as a whole. Not just as RJ's co-ace for a couple years. With all due respect to Schilling, we drafted Webb, developed him and (unfortunately, because of The Injury) only pitched here. Webb is 2rd WAR as a Dback, only RJ51 is ahead of him. That's right kids, GONZO is 3rd! (then Schilling and Goldy occupying the 4th and 5th spots.)

But if WAR is the criteria, shouldn't Goldschmidt sit until he surpasses Schilling?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:41 am 

I didn't mean that was the only criteria, I was using it to support my argument. Schilling/Goldy could be swapped, Webb should have been a lock. Now that I reread it, I wasn't clear, I would actually throw the name Steve Finley in the argument as well for #4..

Now in a year or two Goldy will be a lock, no matter what.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:45 am 

The Shadow wrote:

And that's just the AL! I was waiting for The Express to show up for the Mets, too...

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:50 am 

RJ/Gonzo/Goldy are locks. After that it's up in the air. I would definitely like to see homegrown players given the edge. As good as Schill was for the Club, it was only 3 years, and BWebb probably should have been included as the greatest pitcher this Org has ever developed.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:20 am 

Justin wrote:
I didn't mean that was the only criteria, I was using it to support my argument. Schilling/Goldy could be swapped, Webb should have been a lock. Now that I reread it, I wasn't clear, I would actually throw the name Steve Finley in the argument as well for #4..

Now in a year or two Goldy will be a lock, no matter what.

Yep, no harm in letting one of the others have their time in the spotlight. As for Webb, I can see the WS being a tie breaker, but it would seem that he was shortchanged on this one.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:47 pm 

SF12??

Might be the greatest post in the history of this board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:17 pm 

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
SF12??

Ok, after 8 years, we have found something to disagree on :lol:

CBS New York wrote:
Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle. Does anyone want to make a case for Jeter or Rivera?

Seriously? How is this even a question?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:45 am 

Im not saying he should have made it, but if he did over schilling, i would have been ok with it

Might be the greatest post in the history of this board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:58 am 

I thought you were saying my inclusion of SF12 as an alternate was questionable.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:18 am 

dirtygary wrote:
The Shadow wrote:

And that's just the AL! I was waiting for The Express to show up for the Mets, too...

Nah, he wasn't any good back then, like Scherzer when he was a Diamondback.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:16 pm 

Justin wrote:

x2. I came here to post this. Agree 100%.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:41 pm 

Ryan wrote:
Justin wrote:

x2. I came here to post this. Agree 100%.

Should be webb over Goldy.

Explain to me why one would pick goldy over schilling ?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:04 pm 

I said it was a "4A Goldy 4B Schilling" type thing. It can go either way. My preference is Goldy over Schilling, but not by much. Schilling was here 3+ seasons. Goldy has been an allstar three times and is 100 hrs away from Gonzo, amongst other records I am sure. Sure, I'm sure you can come up with stats to prove me wrong, but that is what my opinion is.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:30 pm 

Justin wrote:
I said it was a "4A Goldy 4B Schilling" type thing. It can go either way. My preference is Goldy over Schilling, but not by much. Schilling was here 3+ seasons. Goldy has been an allstar three times and is 100 hrs away from Gonzo, amongst other records I am sure. Sure, I'm sure you can come up with stats to prove me wrong, but that is what my opinion is.

Goldy has only been here 4 plus seasons. So length of service for the franchise not much longer.

Schilling pitched in 108 games and faced 3099 batters

Goldy has played in 549 games and had just under 2500 PA

Considering pitchers start 1 in 5 games, thats pretty close.

And yes, as great as Goldy is right now, schillings statistical accomplishments still are greater than Goldy's. He has significant advantages in Wins above average and wins above replacement.

Were it not for a guy named randy johnson, schilling has 2 cy young awards as a dback.

And all of that before we get to world series.

The world series victory still defines this franchise. Schillings post season in 2001 and starts in 3 games in the world series would tip this in his favor even if the regular season stats were close, which they arent.

Thats my opinion.

Last edited by shoewizard on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:43 pm 

Cool. Thanks for the information. I was not trying to start an argument.

My original post was about Webb, and I am not taking the whole Franchise Four thing as anything really serious. I am sure someone out there voted Trumbo, Prado, Montero and Parra or any random 4. Anytime fans have a vote (see allstar starters), it is suspect.

I still can't get over that NY Post or whatever guy asking if Mo or Jeter should supplant Gehrig, Ruth, DiMaggio or Mantle.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:01 pm 

Oh no dude, no argument. Just debating. You might have noticed i kinda like to do that.

I do get a little defensive about schilling though, i fully admit that. Because of park factors and because he never allowed un earned runs, he is criminally underrated by ERA.m He achieved some very great heights of greatness, and the greatest of that happened in arizona.

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News