Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 13 of 13 [ 256 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Post subject: Re: Yasmani Tomas
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:07 pm 

Would not be shocked if someone like Ender or Peralta end up being traded so they can fit the 68 million dollar man into the lineup next year.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:18 pm 

He made a pretty Trumbo-esque play in LF in the 2nd inning tonight.
Drury PH for him, what would have been his next PA...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:26 pm 

That was gif worthy

video

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:02 am 

At least Trumbo would have dove for it, or even got there in time to make the catch. Notice how he momentarily gives up before trying to beat Owings to the ball.
I trust that effort didn't ease the pain in Tony's broken heart.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:43 am 

So in the post game Hale said that Tomas had a sudden stiff neck that seized up on him on that play, and he said he couldn't hit when he came back to dugout.

I don't buy it. I watched him on the video and you can't see any evidence of him looking hurt or sore. He's looking around, and at one point you can see him swivel his neck and look up at the scoreboard......

I think Hale just said that to keep the story out of the press.....but he got his fat butt benched.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:32 am 

shoewizard wrote:
So in the post game Hale said that Tomas had a sudden stiff neck that seized up on him on that play, and he said he couldn't hit when he came back to dugout.

I don't buy it. I watched him on the video and you can't see any evidence of him looking hurt or sore. He's looking around, and at one point you can see him swivel his neck and look up at the scoreboard......

I think Hale just said that to keep the story out of the press.....but he got his fat butt benched.

If Gil Hodges was manager, it might have been harder to cover up.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:03 am 

I see a young, formerly poor, Cuban player who suddenly has more freedoms and more money (guaranteed $$$) than he could have imagined, creating a less motivated MLB player. The only hope for the Dbacks is if he loses his visa for some reason.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:32 pm 

shoewizard wrote:

(general comment, not directed at Shoe) Why try to keep the story out of the press? (it didn't work, btw) Why cover up for a young player's lack of hustle? You have a 'teachable moment' with the youngster. Use it. You could change his life in a positive way. (Remember Matt Williams' handling of Bryce Harper's lack of hustle? Very professional. I believe it had a major impact - not only on Harper but on the entire team.)

I am not ok with this. Where is the respect for the game? I have had such a high regard for Chip Hale's integrity. He sure torched a bunch of it right there.

You don't have to be vindictive about it. You don't have to take your frustrations out on the player. You can be respectful and professional about it. But to make up excuses for a player is to disrespect the game and the other participants and fans.

If I am the manager, he sits. I tell him why. . . and I tell the media why.
(and it isn't because he misplayed the ball - as frustrating as that was, it happens. It is because of his failure to hustle after his mistake)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:02 pm 

Check out the similarities between Delmon Young's rookie year and Tomas's rookie year

It's not straight chalk. But any of the differences all favor Young. i.e. he was 21, Tomas is 24. Young had a 0.90 GB/FB ratio, Tomas had a 1.30. Young was only -1 in the fielding metrics in his rookie year, so he had positive WAR, while Tomas is -13 in the fielding metrics, so he has negative WAR. But as hitters, they are similar, and although Young is an inch taller and not quite as heavy, he was always a chunky guy. And Young overall has been known as a poor outfielder.

I'm using rate stats as the counting stats can skew the view since the PA's are so different. (Young played 162 G)

Code:
Player   Ht   Wt   PA   OPS+   BA     OBP    SLG    OPS    ISO   BB%     K%    SO/W    HR%   XBH%   GDP%
Young   75   240   681   91   .288   .316   .408   .723   .120   3.8%   18.6%   4.9   1.9%   7.5%   22%
Tomas   74   255   426   90   .273   .305   .401   .707   .128   4.0%   25.8%   6.5   2.1%   7.3%   16%

So he's a poor mans Delmon Young :evil:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:14 am 

Nope, more like a rich man's with that contract.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:51 am 

Jack Macgruder wrote:
Tomas has lost about 25 pounds in the offseason, the D-backs said, and could be expected to the starter in right field, where Inciarte settled last season with Pollock in center and Peralta in left.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:22 pm 

Yasmany Tomas Still Looks Like Yasmany Tomas

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:29 pm 

Yeah, he sure looked the same on Saturday. I recognized him early and often. Maybe he lost 25lbs from his head, arms and feet, because the torso and legs looked the same.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:05 am 

According to Hale, he hasn't lost that much weight, it's just been redistributed.

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:25 am 

After a promising start, where his plate discipline and K/BB numbers looked to be much improved, he seems to be falling back into bad habits again. He's slumping, obviously, and with the slump the previously improved plate discipline numbers are regressing. Still better than last year full season vs 2016 YTD, but the trend is heading south again.

The Fielding/ baserunning numbers still negative, so overall value negative, (current wRC+ is 98 both WARS just below 0)

He's just not making it happen.

If he doesn't become a 2 WAR player THIS year, then he is pretty much an inarguable bust. He better get it in gear....pronto.

60+ million to go on his contract. Something tells me he won't be opting out.

2016: 7.5 M
2017: 9.5 M
2018: 13.5 M
2019: 15.5 M
2020: 17.0 M

Bad roster construction, blowing money on a guy that had identifiable plate discipline issues even from his Cuba playing record.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:21 am 

Tomas showed signs of life for a bit right after my last comment. But not enough. His batting numbers continue to nosedive and his fielding is worse than ever.

HERE is a comp list.

Lets hope by next year he turns into JD Martinez. That would be nice.

Page 13 of 13 [ 256 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News