Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 17 of 18 [ 351 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post subject: Re: Yasmani Tomas
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:37 pm 

Any updates on his recovery?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:55 pm 

I dont think the team is in any hurry to get him back in the lineup

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:50 pm 

I kind of think the sting of losing AJ for a while has been negated by Tomas being out too

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:40 pm 

ha ha...love that. We can't rec here but if I could I would ;)

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:11 am 

Likewise, and that thought has crossed my mind more than once.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:23 pm 

From Rotoworld
Quote:
Yasmany Tomas has been diagnosed with a mild right groin strain.
This is a more serious issue than the groin tendinitis he had been dealing with. Tomas, who originally landed on the disabled list June 6, was pulled off his rehab assignment over the weekend and will now probably remain sidelined through the end of July. Chris Herrmann and Daniel Descalso have been patrolling left field for the Snakes.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:39 pm 

I don't want to put a tinfoil hat on here, but is this a real injury, or a "We're better off with Tomas than without so let's hide him" situation?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:55 pm 

He really got hurt

His agent wouldn't allow team to say he was hurt and keep him on DL if he wasn't

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:54 pm 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/08/ ... rgery.html

Diamondbacks outfielder Yasmany Tomas is slated to undergo surgery for a core injury, per a club announcement. Details were not given on the exact nature of the procedure or the anticipated timeline.

Tomas has been out since early June with successive groin injuries. Presumably, that’s the malady that will be treated tomorrow. Tomas had been attempting to rehab through the problem but obviously was not able. Perhaps it’s not yet out of the question that Tomas will work back to become an option down the stretch or in the postseason, but the likelier scenario may be that he focuses on getting back to full health over the offseason.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:18 pm 

He is done for the year. You will not see him suit up again for the team.

They are stuck with that contract. Sunk cost. The best they can do now is let him have the surgery, help him rehab, and hope they can get something out of him next year.

By middle of next year he will either be hitting enough to be valuable enough to hold a roster spot, or they will DFA him and eat the money. They'll never be able to trade him.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:57 am 

shoewizard wrote:
They are stuck with that contract. Sunk cost.

Insurance money?

Anyone know how that works?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:56 am 

I've been under the impression that insurance only kicks in on a career ending injury. I think I got that impression from the Webby injury. Don't know if it's true or not. Although virtually anything can be insured, for a price.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:38 am 

Per Steve Gilbert on Twitter
Quote:
#Dbacks OF Yasmany Tomás had a procedure performed yesterday by Dr. Bill Meyers in Philadelphia to clean scar tissue causing irritation in the same area as his previous core surgery on Aug. 22.

12:39 AM - 23 Dec 2017

Not optimistic for him in 2018 if he is still having these issues. I had heard he was taking BP in Chase Field and looking good, so this is disappointing.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:00 pm 

I can't wait for the day I see this thread red and it's because we bought out Pudge.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:23 pm 

Justin wrote:
I can't wait for the day I see this thread red and it's because we bought out Pudge.

At which point KenKen joins Jeff Moorad in the "Dubious Signings" Hall of Fame. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:21 pm 

EvilJuan wrote:
Justin wrote:

At which point KenKen joins Jeff Moorad in the "Dubious Signings" Hall of Fame. ;)

He is already there . KK was Moorads boss

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:06 pm 

I posted this in another thread, but would anyone trade Yasmany Tomas for Jacoby Ellsbury and cash?

Three years of misfielder Yasmany Tomas at $42.5 million (assuming he exercises two player options)
to the New York Yankees for
Three years of outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury at $68.5 million
$13 million in cash

With Tomas' AAV of only $11.4 million, the Yankees save about $7 million annually for luxury tax purposes, freeing up money to pursue Yu Darvish or another high-profile player. In that sense Tomas' lower AAV is more valuable to the Yankees than to the Diamondbacks.

The trade represents a salary dump for the Yankees as Steamer600, which assumes 600 plate appearances for each hitter, projects 2018 WAR of 0.8 for the 34-year-old Eillsbury and a negative 0.1 for the 27-year-old Tomas. ZiPS projects Ellsbury with a 2018 WAR of 1.3 in 473 plate appearances but has not released a projection for Tomas.

The Diamondbacks, who can't afford Tomas' woeful glove in the field, get a modest upgrade in left field at a net $4.3 million annually. Tomas, who has three options remaining, is better suited in the American League where the lefty-masher can serve as a designated hitter.

Ellsbury, who has a no-trade clause, reportedly maintains his offseason home in Scottsdale and as a child spent some summers with his grandmother on the Navajo Reservation.

Thoughts?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:37 am 

I am a little confused by the numbers you are proposing

1.) Tomas is Guaranteed 46.5 M, not 42.5, but some of that may be bonus money
2018: 13.5M
2019: 15.5M
2020: 17.5M

Avg annual 15.5M

He doesn't have any "options", but he does have an opt out after 2018. Obviously he won't be opting out.

2.) Ellsbury is owed 63.4 M, plus the 5M buyout for 2021, so Guaranteed 68.4M

3.) I think you are proposing sending Tomas AND 13M to Yankees ? That would mean the D Backs are in essence paying 81.4M to have Ellsbury the next 3 years instead of 46.5 to Tomas, an increase of 35M over the next 3 years !

I don't really see effectively paying over 35M more for Ellsbury's age 35,36,37 years as a viable solution to the Yasmany Tomas problem. Ellsbury's defense already turned negative last year for the second time in 4 years. His arm is terrible. His offense has collapsed. And he's just going to get worse, projections aside.

The D Backs are better off seeing if they can get any positive performance out of Tomas in 2018, and continue to work to develop internal options for a replacement. It should not be that difficult to come up with a replacement level outfielder that could assimilate whatever Ellsbury can give you the next 3 seasons. It would be cheaper to DFA Tomas and pay league minimum to a pre arb player out of the system than to pay an extra 35M for the rest of Ellsbury's decline.

No team is going to do this.

EDIT:

Maybe you are proposing the Yankees send the D Backs 13 M ???

So then they are paying 59.5M for 3 years of Tomas and D Backs are paying 55M ?

If thats what you are proposing, it is more of a possibility from the D backs side, but why would the Yankees do that ? What is the upside for them ?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:56 am 

shoewizard wrote:
I am a little confused by the numbers you are proposing

1.) Tomas is Guaranteed 46.5 M, not 42.5, but some of that may be bonus money
2018: 13.5M
2019: 15.5M
2020: 17.5M

Avg annual 15.5M

He doesn't have any "options", but he does have an opt out after 2018. Obviously he won't be opting out.

2.) Ellsbury is owed 63.4 M, plus the 5M buyout for 2021, so Guaranteed 68.4M

3.) I think you are proposing sending Tomas AND 13M to Yankees ? That would mean the D Backs are in essence paying 81.4M to have Ellsbury the next 3 years instead of 46.5 to Tomas, an increase of 35M over the next 3 years !

I don't really see effectively paying over 35M more for Ellsbury's age 35,36,37 years as a viable solution to the Yasmany Tomas problem. Ellsbury's defense already turned negative last year for the second time in 4 years. His arm is terrible. His offense has collapsed. And he's just going to get worse, projections aside.

The D Backs are better off seeing if they can get any positive performance out of Tomas in 2018, and continue to work to develop internal options for a replacement. It should not be that difficult to come up with a replacement level outfielder that could assimilate whatever Ellsbury can give you the next 3 seasons. It would be cheaper to DFA Tomas and pay league minimum to a pre arb player out of the system than to pay an extra 35M for the rest of Ellsbury's decline.

No team is going to do this.

EDIT:

Maybe you are proposing the Yankees send the D Backs 13 M ???

So then they are paying 59.5M for 3 years of Tomas and D Backs are paying 55M ?

If thats what you are proposing, it is more of a possibility from the D backs side, but why would the Yankees do that ? What is the upside for them ?

The $13 million clearly would go from the Yankees to the Diamondbacks, not vice versa.

I was working off the Cot's Baseball Contracts summary of Yasmany Tomas' contract:

Quote:
Yasmany Tomas 3b-of
6 years/$68.5M (2015-20)
•6 years/$68.5M (2015-20) •signed by Arizona as a free agent from Cuba (via Haiti) 12/9/14
•$14M signing bonus (paid 2015-18)
•15:$2M, 16:$4M, 17:$6M, 18:$10M. 19-20 player option paying $15.5M in 2019 and $17M in 2020
•award bonuses: $15,000 each for Silver Slugger, All-Star reserve. $25,000 each for Gold Glove, All-Star start. $50,000 for Sporting News All Star. $75,000 for LCS MVP. $0.1M for WS MVP. $0.1M for MVP ($90,000 for second in MVP vote, $80,000 for third, $70,000 for fourth, $60,000 for fifth).

•agent: Octagon

http://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/co ... mondbacks/

... although the spreadsheet shows the $46 million over three years:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... Yw/pubhtml

Still the net outlay for the Diamondbacks would be about $4.3 million annually for the modest upgrade in left field. With Tomas' lower AAV, the Yankees would save about $6 million a year for luxury tax purposes.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:19 am 

OK, got it, thanks

Typically signing bonuses are paid out pro rated over the life of the contract, however in this case since he has the options, or opt out, (same thing) after 2018, the bonus money is spread through the 2015-2018 period or 3.5M per year. Makes sense.

In this case, the presumption would be that the D Backs are paying the bonus money due in 2018. (They may have already paid it, it's not clear WHEN in 2018 the bonus needs to be paid). But I think this is a safe assumption that D Backs picking up 2018 portion of bonus money in your scenario.

So in this scenario as you have outlined and clarified, D Backs would have to pay Ellsbury 55.4 M (68.4M - 13M from Yankees)
instead of paying 42.5M to Tomas

So I get it now, the numbers are obviously better this way, and as you summarize, the D Backs are essentially paying 4.3M more per year the next 3 years to "upgrade" Ellsbury over Tomas, and Yankees save some money to stay under the Salary Cap.

Sorry....sometimes I need to write it out myself to fully get it. :oops:

I think the D Backs are already at the very outer edge of their comfort zone when it comes to 2018 Payroll, and it only gets MUCH harder in 2019

To keep the current 40 man roster intact they are already up to at least 117M-122M , depending on the source. (BB-Ref 117, Roster Resource 122) Last year's payroll ended at about 107M after the JD and D Hern additions. So they are already looking at a 10-15M bump in payroll just to keep 40 man roster as is.

I think even adding another 4M this year is going to be improbable for them.

And 2019 currently projects to 137M.

If anything I think the D Backs will look to make a trade or two of one of the recently signed arb guys and try to get payroll under 115M. But I could be wrong about that.

Page 17 of 18 [ 351 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News