Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 16 of 18 [ 351 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post subject: Re: Yasmani Tomas
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:23 am 

Who would have thought that Matt Kemp would turn into Yasmany Tomas ? Check out their stat lines They line up almost perfectly across the board except for playing time.

By the way that list players with less than 0 WAR, or negative WAR and 29 or more HR in the same season

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:52 am 

Interesting article that starts (briefly) with Segura ends up talking about Tomas's improvements this season in a context that's not normally seen.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/the-20 ... d-batters/

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:01 am 

From this mornings Boston Globe.

Yasmany Tomas, OF, Diamondbacks — Former Arizona GM Dave Stewart, who has returned to his player representative agency, said he expects big things from Tomas. “He loves to play and he made great progress last year,” Stewart said. “I really believe in this kid. He’s so dedicated to baseball and he wants to be the best.” Tomas, who signed a six-year, $68.5 million deal two years ago, hit 31 homers and drove in 83 runs with an .820 OPS last season at age 25.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:50 am 

The Shadow wrote:
From this mornings Boston Globe.

Yasmany Tomas, OF, Diamondbacks — Former Arizona GM Dave Stewart, who has returned to his player representative agency, said he expects big things from Tomas. “He loves to play and he made great progress last year,” Stewart said. “I really believe in this kid. He’s so dedicated to baseball and he wants to be the best.” Tomas, who signed a six-year, $68.5 million deal two years ago, hit 31 homers and drove in 83 runs with an .820 OPS last season at age 25.

Stewart fishing for a client, or playing to the larger audience of potential clients?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:38 am 

By all accounts and from a wide group of people they all say stew is a really good person. Wish him the best

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:39 am 

Updates on the Tomas contract from Nick Piecoro:

The signing bonus is indeed spread out over the first 4 years of his contract, so there is $7 million of the signing bonus still left. However, according to Nick, the signing bonus is still the responsibility of AZ if Tomas is traded, so other teams would only be on the hook for 4/$48.5MM or whatever was remaining at the time of the trade.

This does up Tomas's trade value a little bit if he shows continued power development. For reference, Trumbo refused a 4/$52MM offer from the Orioles, which is eerily close to what Tomas is at now (and I think if Tomas's power plays, he's a very similar comp to Trumbo).

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:43 pm 

Man check out how closely Tomas and Lamb track each other on Fly Balls

Fly ball report link

Lamb was helped out much more by Chase field Than Tomas Home fly ball split 2nd highest overall. Still good on the road, at bottom of page 2, but really got a bump fro Chase.

Meanwhile Tomas was 5th on the road in fly ball wRC+ Away fly ball split

This is a data point in Tomas favor when comparing to Lamb if you are trying to see which player's power surge is more sustainable next year.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:32 pm 

Another interesting take on Tomas's potential upside...

Tomas has the potential to be a somewhat rare breed: a pure slugger with poor discipline yet above-average BABIP skills. This is much rarer than I had expected.

But check out how similar these few seasons are to what Tomas is.

Here

There are a lot of parallels. They almost all have really bad defense values and neutral or negative baserunning. The second-lowest wRC+ of the group is 113 but most of are in the 124-132 range, which is more-or-less where I've been calling for Tomas to land. Tomas's 2016 currently has the second-lowest BB% on the list, but there is some room for that to grow (although, I haven't seen any real signs pointing to it, yet). Tomas is also the second-youngest on the list.

However, despite the zero signs towards an improving BB% from Tomas, there are other positives I see. His K% has been improving, his BABIP can be better than the .310 he posted last year (FanGraphs gave him a .329 xBABIP), and I honestly believe his ISO can improve over the .236 he posted last season as long as his FB% continues to improve. I'm not saying all these things will happen all at once, but I think this does show that Tomas is more-than-capable of a 1-2 win season in spite of his defense and baserunning.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:48 am 

Check out This Article on how hitters are being trained to increase fly ball ratio.

Would be great for Tomas especially

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:34 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Check out This Article on how hitters are being trained to increase fly ball ratio.

Would be great for Tomas especially

What's the "organizational philosophy" regarding a player's swing in the Diamondbacks' FO? What are they teaching in the minors?

Interesting article, by the way. Thanks for posting it.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:47 pm 

Tomas hasnt played since March 6th, he is now listed as out indefinitely with an oblique strain. Per MyScore app.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:55 pm 

Tomas to the 10 day DL with a groin strain.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:16 pm 

I wanted to see Hazelbaker called up, but more to take the place of Blanco/Fuentes in the lineup.

Tomas must need the rest though, as TL said, if bottom half of body not working right, very tough to get the swing in sync.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:27 pm 

Just how bad has Yasmany Tomas been ?

Well......

If you look at players who played either LF or RF in at least 1/3 of their games, and had at least 1000 PA in their first 3 seasons, and those 3 seasons started no younger than age 23...... There are 98

well, he is the worst among those 98 players, with -2.1 WAR, thanks to 0 batting runs, -3 baserunning runs, and -37 fielding runs.

His OPS+ is 77th out of 98

http://bbref.com/pi/shareit/Gnsv4

When he comes off the DL, he better hit like gangbusters. Otherwise the D Backs are just going to have to eat all the money this next off season, either in a trade, or via DFA.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:11 am 

shoewizard wrote:
Just how bad has Yasmany Tomas been ?

Well......

If you look at players who played either LF or RF in at least 1/3 of their games, and had at least 1000 PA in their first 3 seasons, and those 3 seasons started no younger than age 23...... There are 98

well, he is the worst among those 98 players, with -2.1 WAR, thanks to 0 batting runs, -3 baserunning runs, and -37 fielding runs.

His OPS+ is 77th out of 98

http://bbref.com/pi/shareit/Gnsv4

When he comes off the DL, he better hit like gangbusters. Otherwise the D Backs are just going to have to eat all the money this next off season, either in a trade, or via DFA.

Tony's farewell present to KK.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:39 pm 

Tomas' last start was on June 2. On that date the Dbacks were 34-23 .596
As of this writing the Dbacks are 44-26. That's 10-3 .768 without him
I have read some of you posting that if we hadn't signed Tomas, someone else would have.
I have to wonder today if someone else SHOULD have
I suppose when Tony LaHooHa found out/or saw video/or whatever
and how he could hit in the Cuban League (AAA? or maybe slightly better IDK)
He had an orgasm and broke open the vault to outbid everyone else for his services.
I don't know if there were any serious efforts to trade him during the off season,
especially to an AL team.
If there were, there were no takers. Quite different from when it came time to sigh
with his first MLB team. It may be that the other teams are now HAPPY that they
didn't sign him.
I recall last year watching him spread eagled all over the dugout, yukking it up
with Segura, Castillo, etc. I suppose he can sit on that mountain of cash, knowing
he's set for life, and not have to be concerned about much of anything.
We have to be concerned with winning ball games.
And yes, this song sounds familiar. Didn't we give some guy named Byrnsie at fat
multi year contract and only get one productive year out of him?
If and when he does come back, will we be as good a team then as we are now?
Quite frankly, I'll be greatly surprised if we are.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:43 pm 

TheDesertSurfer wrote:
If and when he does come back, will we be as good a team then as we are now?

Sure!

Of course, that assumes he only comes back to sit on the bench and pinch-hit every now and then... ;)

Which will never happen; but, hey, we can dream, right? :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:01 am 

Tomas strikes me a flashy and one who loves the limelight solely on himself. But I may be mistaken since that perception is formed strictly from TV broadcasts. However, that being said, the quiet professionalism we're seen from Day 1 by Goldy seems to have spread to the entire team. The last thing this team needs thrown into the dugout mix is an attention-craving divergence.

OT - But I think Gregor Blanco and David Peralta could be brothers.

2014: What a joke; Team. Manager. GM. CEO. Cindy Brunson. Todd Walsh. Steve Berthiaume. Polo shirts. Entire organization. I want to insert that 18-inch corn dog into each one of their a$$es...slowly. Then re-sell the corn dogs to Dodger fans.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:42 pm 

Jethawker wrote:
Tomas strikes me a flashy and one who loves the limelight solely on himself. But I may be mistaken since that perception is formed strictly from TV broadcasts. However, that being said, the quiet professionalism we're seen from Day 1 by Goldy seems to have spread to the entire team. The last thing this team needs thrown into the dugout mix is an attention-craving divergence.

Actually from what I have heard about him from "insiders" that does not describe Tomas at all.

He actually sticks to himself most of the time, and if anything is kind of the lonely guy, missing his family still

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:24 am 

Jethawker wrote:

What, exactly, could have possibly given you this impression? This seems to be completely separated from any observed behavior on Tomas's part.

Seriously, a public search reveals no instances of this guy being anything other than a quiet guy working hard and struggling to adjust to this country. I don't know what you're getting from the broadcasts -- other than Tomas is one of SB's favorite targets. SB, however, is an idiot.

Link

Quote:
Making the transition to the United States from Cuba is difficult as well. Now in his third year, Tomas, 26, is starting to get more comfortable.
"This is my third year right now, and I believe the way that I've been doing is better because I have more experience," Tomas said. "I feel a lot better right now. I've been able to make some adjustments, and I've been working hard every day."
The issue for Tomas has never been for lack of effort. He wants to be so good that it sometimes works against him.
"The main adjustment was more mental," Tomas said. "I tried to be comfortable up there after trying to do too much."

Link

Quote:
"It's been about three years since I have seen her and left everything behind and it's hard because they are the most important thing in my life," Tomas said. "I miss having them here with me every day. I've made a life here with my wife and daughter, and I'm very happy, but it's incomplete without my family in Cuba."

Honestly, I don't mean to pick on another poster, but I think the comment is completely unfair and unwarranted. Sometimes we forget that these are real people.

Page 16 of 18 [ 351 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News