Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 18 of 18 [ 351 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

Post subject: Re: Yasmani Tomas
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:45 pm 

Yasmany Tomas was arrested Thursday morning for going more than 100 mph on a Valley freeway. Tomas was allegedly driving 105 mph on the northbound Loop 101. He was pulled over at 9:26 a.m. near Baseline Road on the border of Tempe and Mesa.

He was not impaired. Tomas was charged with reckless driving and criminal speeding.

He was booked into the Fourth Avenue Jail and the 2015 Mercedes he was driving was impounded.

http://ktar.com/story/1908963/arizona-d ... in-valley/

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:09 pm 

That was unwise

I guess there is nothing in the contract that terminates it for things like this right?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:31 pm 

It doesn't actually take much

From Jackson White

Quote:
In Arizona, you can be charged with criminal speeding when going more than 20 miles per hour over the posted speed limit, or when exceeding 85 miles per hour anywhere in the state.

Speeding may seem like a minor violation, when compared to something like a DUI, but in the state of Arizona, excessive speeding can be a misdemeanor crime, making it a serious yet common criminal offenses. To put it clearly, Arizona speeding laws should be taken seriously.

With penalties of up to 30 days in jail and up to $500 in fines, criminal speeding in Arizona is more than just a traffic citation, it’s something that can affect your personal life and finances for longer than expected.

I'm actually really careful to make sure I never go over 85 because I knew this law. Didn't always know it. Back in the day I was known to terrorize a few of the board members here driving down to Tucson....lol....but I've reformed.

I hope he doesn't get his contract canceled over this. Losing 40M over a speeding ticket, even a serious one, is not proportional punishment.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:53 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
It doesn't actually take much

From Jackson White

Quote:
In Arizona, you can be charged with criminal speeding when going more than 20 miles per hour over the posted speed limit, or when exceeding 85 miles per hour anywhere in the state.

Speeding may seem like a minor violation, when compared to something like a DUI, but in the state of Arizona, excessive speeding can be a misdemeanor crime, making it a serious yet common criminal offenses. To put it clearly, Arizona speeding laws should be taken seriously.

With penalties of up to 30 days in jail and up to $500 in fines, criminal speeding in Arizona is more than just a traffic citation, it’s something that can affect your personal life and finances for longer than expected.

I'm actually really careful to make sure I never go over 85 because I knew this law. Didn't always know it. Back in the day I was known to terrorize a few of the board members here driving down to Tucson....lol....but I've reformed.

I hope he doesn't get his contract canceled over this. Losing 40M over a speeding ticket, even a serious one, is not proportional punishment.

When I was 20, I drove from my house to my gf (at the time) house in under 10 minutes. It was about a 7 mile drive. She didn't believe me. I topped 100. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I was young and stupid, but after that like... it just seemed like a warp. I haven't done that again.
I realized much after the fact that if there were brake lights ahead of me at any point, I would not be typing this.

Last edited by Justin on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:55 pm 

I'm guessing hormones had something to do with the urgency. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:38 pm 

Surprised hormones didn't get half of us killed.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:12 am 

It would be nice if "reckless" and "criminal" charges were grounds for release from contract.

2014: What a joke; Team. Manager. GM. CEO. Cindy Brunson. Todd Walsh. Steve Berthiaume. Polo shirts. Entire organization. I want to insert that 18-inch corn dog into each one of their a$$es...slowly. Then re-sell the corn dogs to Dodger fans.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:11 am 

Authorities say Tomas could be facing up to 30 days in jail and a fine up to $500 on the criminal speeding charge while a reckless driving charge could lead to a suspended license.

“We are very disappointed to learn of this news,” the Diamondbacks said in a statement issued Thursday afternoon. “We are still gathering facts, and will refrain from further comment at this time as this is a pending legal matter.”

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/01/19/yasma ... amondbacks

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:27 am 

Jethawker wrote:
It would be nice if "reckless" and "criminal" charges were grounds for release from contract.

May I ask an honest question:

Have you ever driven over 85 MPH anywhere in the state of Arizona ?

I realize there is a matter of "degree", however the law is 85, (or 20 MPH over posted speed limit).

Maybe you are a very conservative driver, but I would wager that over 90% of the people posting here have broken one or the other laws.

I'm not excusing his behavior. But to lose over 40 million dollars over this is just not proportional punishment. It's not.

I wouldn't advocate for this. It's simply not fair.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:51 am 

Yes, to 85+. I can count on one hand the number of times in my lifetime I've driven a car over 100 mph (and never in Arizona). And there are many occupations (mine included) where you'd lose your job for driving 100+ mph. In fact, any speeding tickets on your record will disqualify you for this job. I don't separate his paycheck ($40M) from mine in whether his actions should merit firing or suspension.

2014: What a joke; Team. Manager. GM. CEO. Cindy Brunson. Todd Walsh. Steve Berthiaume. Polo shirts. Entire organization. I want to insert that 18-inch corn dog into each one of their a$$es...slowly. Then re-sell the corn dogs to Dodger fans.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:01 pm 

If convicted of this, I can see a suspension being handed down. A week, a month, whatever.

I can't see him losing an entire season over this, or of course the entire nullification of his contract.

Again, not proportional, in my humble opinion of course. I'm sure there are people that are more hard ass than me. :)

Page 18 of 18 [ 351 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News