Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 2015 Payroll
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:57 pm 

Looks like 2015 will be spent cleaning up KT's mess, with focus on being competitive moved back to 2016 and beyond.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/m ... /15468005/
Zach Buchanan / azcentral sports wrote:
With nine home dates remaining, the Diamondbacks are on pace to draw a franchise-low 2,029,751 in attendance this season, and the financial hit from that will affect next year's payroll. Hall expects it to drop to the $100 million range after beginning this season at a franchise record of around $112 million.

"The formula that really works for major-league teams is to try and keep your payroll at about half of your revenues," Hall said. "For us, that's what we're looking at. We're going to be budgeting right around $100 million. If we think we can spend more, we're going to."

The Diamondbacks already have $67.25 million committed in salary for next season, and that's without factoring in raises in arbitration for players such as Mark Trumbo, Cliff Pennington, David Hernandez, Wade Miley and Addison Reed. Together, those five players made $11.237 million this year, a number that would rise significantly next season.

That wouldn't leave much room to swing for the fences in free agency this winter, although Hall said further cost-cutting moves could be made to clear space, like the deadline trades that saved Arizona $10 million in payroll this season.

Post subject: Re: 2015 Payroll
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:39 pm 

Sounds like they might have to trade Montero, along with Hill.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:20 am 

Kevin Towers... the gift that keeps on giving. :evil:

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:22 am 

They should trade Montero. Why not? We are looking really at 2017 thanks to Towers.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:12 am 

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/10/o ... cks-5.html

Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:01 pm 

Well, this isn't a 1-year turnaround even in a best-case scenario. Not with the Giants and Dodgers in the division. Stewart needs to set his own market value by not making any stupid trades. Not that I think he will, but unfortunately, other GM's have had their way with KT here recently and they need to re-adjust their perception of this front office. Trade, Montero, Hill, Trumbo? Sure, but only if we get back a fair return. I'd rather go into next season with all of them than reluctantly sell low. No more of that.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:59 pm 

I'd sell low on Montero. He became my least favorite player quick the past few seasons, I'd rather just salary dump him and close the book on his history with Arizona.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:01 pm 

I agree we should sell - intelligently - when opportunities present. I hate riding the fence and would rather fully commit to rebuilding.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:35 pm 

Yeah, tough to see his numbers returning to form. That contract is going to hurt if he stays around

Could add some value by platooning him, but based on how upset he got over that concept towards the end of the year and got to keep starting most of the games anyway, don't see that happening.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:19 am 

He needs a decent platoon partner, otherwise he will feel that his suckage vs LHP is better than what is playing in his place. I suspect he'd adjust nicely once he starts producing better platooned, if they don't vacillate once a decision is made.

Trumbo needs to go, while he won't be worth an Eaton and Skaggs he should generate a decent return. Hill is probably a lost cause without a salary dump, which might be a good move if they have an alternative besides Owings, who should be left at short to avoid an offensive hole at that position.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:26 am 

So where do you use the money saved, presuming you actually save a lot of money.

Montero and Hill are 64 Million Guaranteed, and Trumbo is about 6 M in Arb.

So thats 70 M. Or in other words less than half way there to signing Max Scherzer, if thats what yo want to do.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:38 am 

shoewizard wrote:
So where do you use the money saved, presuming you actually save a lot of money.

Montero and Hill are 64 Million Guaranteed, and Trumbo is about 6 M in Arb.

So thats 70 M. Or in other words less than half way there to signing Max Scherzer, if thats what yo want to do.

If it's me I wouldn't go near Scherzer or any other big money talent. Don't know exactly what I'd do, besides celebrating the loss of a good deal of KT's legacy.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:32 am 

My fast and dirty look at the roster has us at about $86-88M committed to fielding a 25 man roster given the current players/talent on the team.

This assumes Pennington is non-tendered, given his presumed raise to ~$4.5m in arb, itd be crazy to keep him. Moderate raises for all are other arb eligible players in Trumbo, Hernandez, Hudson, Reed, and Miley. Also, exercising Matt Reynolds' option for 2015.

Have to assume Ross is DFA'd and we eat the $9.5 + $1M... unless you find a team to take him and pay him maybe $1-2M, could save a few pennies there. Same could happen with Cahill, team seeking a reclamation project might want to gamble a million or 2 in a trade.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:13 pm 

Is the outfield so deep that they can't just keep Ross? At least through ST. This is assuming they trade Trumbo. He's worthless in a trade right now, so might as well see if he can (via the use of strategically placed smoke and mirrors) have a good enough spring that some other team may then view him as a passable option? Stranger things have happened.

Maybe he looks like his old self in ST + another team has some injuries and sees a Proven Vet™ available for a low price = Yay. If you're going to eat his salary anyway, but there's a 10% chance he is worth a C prospect in March (rather than a bucket of balls right now), I'd rather wait. Can always cut him at that time.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:41 pm 

Dre wrote:
My fast and dirty look at the roster has us at about $86-88M committed to fielding a 25 man roster given the current players/talent on the team.

This assumes Pennington is non-tendered, given his presumed raise to ~$4.5m in arb, itd be crazy to keep him. Moderate raises for all are other arb eligible players in Trumbo, Hernandez, Hudson, Reed, and Miley. Also, exercising Matt Reynolds' option for 2015.

Have to assume Ross is DFA'd and we eat the $9.5 + $1M... unless you find a team to take him and pay him maybe $1-2M, could save a few pennies there. Same could happen with Cahill, team seeking a reclamation project might want to gamble a million or 2 in a trade.

BB-Ref has it at 93.2 M, but you can take Reimhold off (arb 3 guy) and replace with minor league guy for that roster spot and save 1 M.

You are right that non tendering CP would save the 4 +M, but I'm not sure they do that, especially if they trade Didi. CP played well last year and he is probably the kind of guy that TLR likes. Not saying they shouldn't Non Tender him, but it's no sure thing. But if they do they could get it down to the 88 range you are talking about.

If they want to save money, the guys they can move and not have to eat ALL of the money are Montero/Cahill/Hill. But I don't think they move Montero or Hill. Cahill maybe.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:02 am 

Definitely have to move Cahill. He's toxic to the fan-base at this point; and if they dumped IPK, TCahill is an automatic unload.

AHill can restore some value, but will also impede the development of somebody to do so. Give AHill the first month to get hot or dump him to a team in need of a 2B willing to roll the dice on the "change of scenery"...

Montero is a "lifer" with the dbax and the last of the higher-priced guys I'd move. Also appears like there would be the biggest net-loss with in-house replacement. Might not be such a bad move to ride the Miggie deal out and then get him into a community ambassador role like Gonzo. It's not like the Club would be able to compete but for that pesky Montero deal, and he's certainly toed the company line when they were about to ship players out...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:47 am 

To me, Montero is part of that toxic KT crew, he needs to go to normalize baseball operations in the clubhouse.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:02 pm 

I wouldn't care about the clubhouse, but I don't like how Miggy calls a game. Clearly, KT and Gibby were tinkering with that, so I suppose Miggy could improve there. I'm with the "sell if you can get a good value" crowd. I'd like to see a younger catcher be given a chance.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:37 pm 

Jack Magruder @JackMagruder
With estimates on six arb eligibles and Tomas factored in, #Dbacks have committed almost $100 million to 18 players for 2015.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:07 am 

Pennington avoids arb at 3.275M, a million+ less than my original estimate

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News