Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:10 am 

David B wrote:
You buried the lead...

Strebor wrote:
Hall's time overseeing baseball operations from January 2009 - 8/23/16:

- W/L of 586-674
- One winning season ('11)
- One playoff appearance ('11)
- Three last place finishes ('09, '10, '14)
- Currently occupying last place in '16
-$1.5 billion tv contract

Is the TV deal really a credit to the genius of Hall or simply the fact that live sports on TV is going through the roof and the only real place for advertisers to go these days? I'm really not sure how much credit we can give to Hall for doing a deal that is really market dictated.

I've personally been a lot less critical of TLR than most, but believe if criticism is due, it should start with Hall. Part of his job is hiring folks to put a competitive product on the field and he's failed at that. If the argument is that he's so great at running the org operationally that it is worth an 8 year deal, then why not hire a competent baseball guy like an Anthopoulos to run the baseball side and let Hall do outreach and run the business side only?

Post subject: Re: Tony La Russa is the Chief Baseball Officer
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:42 am 

I agree 98, there should have been a "separation of powers"

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:52 am 

stephen wrote:
I seriously doubt AZ is using their limited analytical resources for player valuations. If they are, they are in the early climb of a steep learning curve because it appears they have missed by a wide margin on far too many decisions.

It's not that easy to say the Castillo and Segura transactions were big wins. For one example, giving up a young pitcher with five years of control (Anderson) or another young pitcher with four years of control (Nunez) is a very valuable asset. A couple of decent MLB arms that barely cost $1mm combined would look pretty good in the bullpen right now.

But for me, the biggest dagger in those two trades was giving away a 19-year old middle infielder who showed some pretty strong offensive potential. Isan Diaz is slashing 274/365/484 for Milwaukee's affiliate in the Midwest League where he is a year and a half younger than the league. 72% of his starts have been at SS, the balance at 2B where I think he probably ends up. With the kind of power he's shown in his short professional career, I'm not at all confident AZ understood what they were giving away. He just turned 20 three months ago!

The reality is that both of those trades were a combination of salary dumps and roster hole plugging. In the end, I think AZ did ok on these two, given the circumstances. (which they largely created themselves) But it isn't like they fleeced the Mariners or the Brewers, who both picked up some extremely valuable young talent - in no small part because of the control years attached.

With better analytical resources AND the disposition to actually LISTEN to those resources, AZ would optimally be on the OTHER side of both of those trades. That's what well-run middle-market teams do, maximize young controllable talent and, when the opportunity presents, use some cash to 'buy' more young controllable talent in another team's salary dump. The Braves understand this, too.

One thing I believe we can say with a high level of confidence: AZ undervalues player control. They give away FAR too many years of player control and sign far too many 'ugly-contract' veterans, which is why they keep finding themselves desperate to dump more salary. Rinse and repeat.

Yeah, a good chunk of the related transactions that resulted in Castillo and Segura were bumbling at best.

- Trade Prado (8.3 WAR since trade) for O'Brien (-0.6 WAR)
- Sign Tomas (-1.1 WAR) to block Lamb
- Trade Nuno (2.1 WAR) and Trumbo (2.2 WAR) for Castillo (3.4 WAR) and Leone (-0.8 WAR)
- Let Saltalamacchia walk (0.4 WAR)
- Trade Diaz, Anderson (-0.2 WAR), and Hill (1.2 WAR) for Segura (4.0 WAR) and Wagner (0.4 WAR)

In 2016, the D-backs could've had 6.1 WAR from this group:

C - Saltalamacchia (0.4 WAR)
OF - Trumbo (1.4 WAR)
2B - Prado (3.1 WAR)
RP - Nuno (1.2 WAR)

Instead, they traded away several young players - Anderson, Diaz, Nuno - with upside to get 5.4 WAR from this group:

C - Castillo (2.0 WAR)
OF - Tomas (0.3 WAR), O'Brien (-0.8 WAR)
2B - Segura (4.0 WAR)
RP - Leone (-0.5 WAR), Wagner (0.4 WAR)

This lack of long-term planning is reminiscent of how Towers did business:

- Trade Upton for Prado and spare parts
- Complain about team lacking power after season ends
- Trade Eaton for Trumbo
- Finish in last
- Trade Prado for Happy Gilmore to save money during last place season (under LaRussa's supervision)

It's extremely tedious to watch the FO spend $15 to make $10 over and over, then always find somewhere else to place the blame. I've said this before, but I suspect a WAR in/out chart for LaRussa and Stewart would be chilling. I'd bet money that it'll look even worse in three years.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:50 pm 

David B wrote:
You buried the lead...

Strebor wrote:
Hall's time overseeing baseball operations from January 2009 - 8/23/16:

- W/L of 586-674
- One winning season ('11)
- One playoff appearance ('11)
- Three last place finishes ('09, '10, '14)
- Currently occupying last place in '16
-$1.5 billion tv contract

2016 CACTUS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:34 pm 

I just want to remind everyone I am an idiot. From the time of his hire

shoewizard wrote:
I like this move, and think it's a good way to transition away from the Towers era without having to go through the upheaval of a mid season firing.

KK and DH have seen the errors that have been committed and have come up with a creative way to address it. I think there is admission here they don't know what they are doing from the baseball operations side, and putting a guy like Larussa in charge, who has only had 50 years to pad his resume, seems like a good way to go.

Larussa is famous for his meticulous preparation, and I seriously doubt he will be "hands off" for long. He may have a reputation for being a dick sometimes, and being too much in love with older players. But I think Tony has simply shown that for position players, if you are obviously extremely talented, you are going to play right away. If you are a middle of the road guy, then you are going to have to wait your turn and really prove yourself. For pitchers, he has had no problem going with young guys in his career.

How all his managerial experience translates to the front office remains to be seen. But it's not unusual for a manager to transition to front office. It's no given he will be equally successful, but this is definitely worth a shot.

The concerns raised by other in the thread, about his age, are legit concerns, as is the fact that he still heads a group trying to get ownership of a team. (I know one team I wouldn't mind if he bought ...ha ha). So this may not be a long term deal. But thats fine. It give the team some breathing room to transition out of the Towers era without losing half a dozen scouts and another half a dozen player development guys in a short period of time. We may not be happy with their results, but you can't just gut an organization overnight.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:36 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
I just want to remind everyone I am an idiot. From the time of his hire

shoewizard wrote:
I like this move, and think it's a good way to transition away from the Towers era without having to go through the upheaval of a mid season firing.

KK and DH have seen the errors that have been committed and have come up with a creative way to address it. I think there is admission here they don't know what they are doing from the baseball operations side, and putting a guy like Larussa in charge, who has only had 50 years to pad his resume, seems like a good way to go.

Larussa is famous for his meticulous preparation, and I seriously doubt he will be "hands off" for long. He may have a reputation for being a dick sometimes, and being too much in love with older players. But I think Tony has simply shown that for position players, if you are obviously extremely talented, you are going to play right away. If you are a middle of the road guy, then you are going to have to wait your turn and really prove yourself. For pitchers, he has had no problem going with young guys in his career.

How all his managerial experience translates to the front office remains to be seen. But it's not unusual for a manager to transition to front office. It's no given he will be equally successful, but this is definitely worth a shot.

The concerns raised by other in the thread, about his age, are legit concerns, as is the fact that he still heads a group trying to get ownership of a team. (I know one team I wouldn't mind if he bought ...ha ha). So this may not be a long term deal. But thats fine. It give the team some breathing room to transition out of the Towers era without losing half a dozen scouts and another half a dozen player development guys in a short period of time. We may not be happy with their results, but you can't just gut an organization overnight.

Nothing wrong with your opinion at that time, no one could've foreseen that it was going to be that bad. I for example, just wanted to get out of the Towers era. If you had to told me were going to have a worse GM than Towers, I would've laughed at you and said no way. I just hope that Kendrick and Hall have learned their lesson.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:33 am 

and you weren't the only one who liked it for those types of reasons, lots of writers and pundits at the time thought it was a good move, too. But then Stewart happened.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:52 am 

Read the first 5 pages or so of this thread :)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:48 am 

Well that long national nightmare is finally over:

@craigcalcaterra
Arizona Diamondbacks just announced that they're parting ways with Tony La Russa.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:56 am 

Well now, our next goal is to find a new subject for the FO to use the Costanza Method with.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:31 pm 

Makes sense, honestly. He goes out on a high note following a 90+ win season (helping everyone forget that he was stripped of decision-making power the year prior) and thus protects his reputation. And, respectfully, he's not a young man. He may have other things he wants to do with his life.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:26 pm 

wedge wrote:
Well that long national nightmare is finally over:

@craigcalcaterra
Arizona Diamondbacks just announced that they're parting ways with Tony La Russa.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1281239/ ... n-d-backs/

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:17 am 

Tony La Russa has joined the Red Sox as a vice president and special assistant to the president of baseball operations.

Page 17 of 17 [ 333 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News